Photo

Trip Report Chock Full o' ID Requests, Part Two

11 replies to this topic

#1 mattknepley

mattknepley
  • NANFA Member
  • Smack-dab between the Savannah and the Saluda.

Posted 24 March 2014 - 07:28 PM

Back to Fish Haul Creek Park, Hilton Head Island, SC at low tide...

Other inverts found include this apparently quite old, but still very much alive, specimen; who I believe to be a lightning welk. Is that right?

DSCF4012.JPG

This absolutely gorgeous shell was home to a hermit crab. Any idea what type of snail it is? My oldest daughter got quite a learning experience when she accidently dropped the shell and the crab popped out, the scurried back and put his shell on.

DSCF4013.JPG

I did manage to turn up two different species of fish. One I believe were small, ~1", mummichogs, Fundulus heteroclitus. They were hanging out in 1/4" deep water trickling out of a muddy tidal pool. They were lightning fast, and buried themselves in the sand when they couldn't out-maneouver my trusty wife and dipnet. I was unable to get a decent picture, but they looked much like a topminnow with ~7 black ovalish lines/spots. Surprisingly,I found no fish in the tidal pool. Gajillions of clear, small shrimp; but no fish. The moving sections of Fish Haul Creek and some of the sand pools also contained large numbers of a fry of some kind. They were kind of shad shaped, transparent, with there bellies outlined in black, with short black dashes on them. No clue what they are, and no picture to show. Still, anybody want to throw out possibilities?

My last new habitat was, well, I don't know. Brackish-retention pond that let out into salt marsh that let out to Fish Haul Creek. the substrate is sucky muck, with lots of leaf litter and some emergent vegetation. Depth is not great, but still approaches 8' in the deeper parts, I'm told. It is home to a couple smallish crocagators. Careful looking (and magnification) will show one in the pond.

DSCF4039.JPG

It was loaded with gambusia, and the ubiquitous shrimp. I was pleased to catch what I am pretty sure are sailfin mollies, Poecilia latipinna. The only thing is, I didn't catch any large specimens, so no sails. Also, several females had a beautiful orange-yellow spots on their bellies. I haven't ever heard of sailfins having those. But since there are no other mollies in range of which I am aware, and they have the dot-stripes, what else could they be? There was some variety of coloration, and most fish had lost most of their best colors between capture and photographing, but here's a little group of (poor)pics to give you an impression of their appearance. I have never much cared for mollies, but if these are run of the mill sails, I'd gladly set up a tank with some.

DSCF4041.JPG
DSCF4064.JPG
DSCF4051.JPG
DSCF4052.JPG

I caught several of this topminnow type fish. I have no in-hand brackish water guides, so "topminnow" is as specific as I can get.

DSCF4056.JPG
DSCF4058.JPG

Finally, there's this guy. At first blush, it's "shadish", but it has two dorsals. Very fast little guy. Anybody able to field this one?

DSCF4046.JPG
DSCF4047.JPG
DSCF4060.JPG

Sorry to put you through the poor photography, but I was excited to experience so much new stuff, and hope you all enjoyed something a little different, too.
Matt Knepley
"No thanks, a third of a gopher would merely arouse my appetite..."

#2 Guest_fritz_*

Guest_fritz_*
  • Guests

Posted 24 March 2014 - 07:53 PM

Well, the last photos are a mullet, probably striped. The transparent shad (no photo) may be Atlantic menhaden. But I'm embarrassingly blanking on the killifish. Since they bury in the sand, might be striped killifish. But don't look like them or any of the possibilities. And yes those are sailfin mollies.

#3 Guest_sbtgrfan_*

Guest_sbtgrfan_*
  • Guests

Posted 24 March 2014 - 07:53 PM

I'd agree on the sailfin Molly. Also thinking marsh killifish for your "top minnow", could be wrong though. I'm sure someone with more experience will chime in.

#4 Guest_trygon_*

Guest_trygon_*
  • Guests

Posted 24 March 2014 - 08:25 PM

Yes, it's a lighting whelk, the other mollusk is a moon snail. Moon snails are predatory, if you've ever noticed a small, 1-2mm a in bivalve it was probably made by a moon snail.

#5 Guest_Dustin_*

Guest_Dustin_*
  • Guests

Posted 24 March 2014 - 09:52 PM

Killifish is confluentus/pulvereus. I am very confused as to what we actually have here now.

#6 Guest_gerald_*

Guest_gerald_*
  • Guests

Posted 25 March 2014 - 11:20 AM

Whelk looks like a knobbed whelk, not lightning whelk. (Lighting whelk is coiled the opposite direction).
Shark-eye moon snail
Marsh killiifish
White mullet? (i assume juvie striped mullets have stripes, but i've never seen any that tiny)
I saw some mollies in St Pete FL that had yellow like that on the belly and cheeks.

#7 Guest_fritz_*

Guest_fritz_*
  • Guests

Posted 25 March 2014 - 02:29 PM

at that size both white and striped mullet are silvery. need to count anal rays etc.

Even though I had a senior moment regarding the killie ID, we only have confluentus

#8 Guest_Dustin_*

Guest_Dustin_*
  • Guests

Posted 25 March 2014 - 02:44 PM

Maybe I was having a senior moment as well. I know there was talk about which killie we had here but now I can't find the discussion. I had always assumed confluentus as well so now my mind is at ease.

#9 mattknepley

mattknepley
  • NANFA Member

Posted 25 March 2014 - 03:13 PM

Yeah, teachable moments! Thanks for the help everybody, this is stuff I really don't have a great handle on but am enjoying getting to know.

Surprised I haven't seen more of those moon snails. Just about every bivalve shell on the beach has one of those holes bored into it. I wondered who was doing that.
Matt Knepley

#10 mattknepley

mattknepley
  • NANFA Member

Posted 26 March 2014 - 06:16 AM

Further consideration of the info provided above, and a little more time, I think my "mummichogs" from the shallow tidal pool are actually striped killifish, F. majalis. Especially when the habitat section and pictures from this SC DNR release are considered.

http://www.dnr.sc.go...pedkillfish.pdf

I think I understand your confusion over what type of killie we may have is, Dustin. Some authoritative type sources, such as Peterson's, exclude SC as part of their range, while others do not...
Matt Knepley

#11 mattknepley

mattknepley
  • NANFA Member

Posted 26 March 2014 - 06:45 AM

"Some authoritative type sources, such as Peterson's, exclude SC as part of their range, while others do not... "

I was speaking of F. confluentus there, not all killies!
Matt Knepley

#12 Guest_Dustin_*

Guest_Dustin_*
  • Guests

Posted 26 March 2014 - 07:01 AM

Majalis even as juveniles have very stark black lines while mummichogs are typically more diffuse and grayer rather than black. Juveniles majalis look just like adults, just smaller, though they don't show the dimorphism.

Reply to this topic

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users