Bleeding Shiner? Ozark Minnow?

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_CMStewart_*

Guest_CMStewart_*
  • Guests

Posted 30 March 2014 - 12:18 PM

Caught March 20 in the Sac River drainage in Missouri (between Springfield and Kansas City). Photos are of different fish but I think they are of the same species.

My first thought on ID was clearly wrong (doesn't exist in the drainage). My second thought was Ozark Minnow, but the black bar behind the gill cover makes me think it could be bleeding shiner. The black bar is not nearly as pronounced as the illustration in my Peterson's Field Guide to Freshwater Fishes, but does match some photos I've seen online that were identified as Bleeding Shiner.

According to MO sampling studies, both Ozark Minnow and Bleeding Shiner exist in that creek.

Attached Files

#2 Isaac Szabo

Isaac Szabo
  • NANFA Member
  • Marble Falls, AR

Posted 30 March 2014 - 12:36 PM

I think they are Bleeding Shiners. I guess it's still a little early for them to have good color. I think they are too deep-bodied and too large to be Ozark Minnows.

#3 mattknepley

mattknepley
  • NANFA Member
  • Smack-dab between the Savannah and the Saluda.

Posted 30 March 2014 - 05:10 PM

Neat catch! It looks like you were drifting a fly on microfishing gear. What pattern is that?
Matt Knepley
"No thanks, a third of a gopher would merely arouse my appetite..."

#4 Guest_CMStewart_*

Guest_CMStewart_*
  • Guests

Posted 31 March 2014 - 09:52 PM

Isaac,

Thank you for the ID. I need to get a lot more experience at this.

mattknepley,

The fish in the first photo was caught on a speck of worm. The second was on a fly and keiyru rod. The rod was overkill but the fly worked. I don't think the pattern has a name. It was just a small red and black woven fly I had been given last year at the Sowbug Roundup in Mt. Home, AR (which is where I was headed on this trip as well). I hadn't planned on using flies, but they kept hitting the Unibobber I was using as a float so I switched to a fly.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users