Salt for speckled madtom?

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_gzeiger_*

Guest_gzeiger_*
  • Guests

Posted 04 April 2014 - 08:14 PM

How much salt can I safely add to help treat Ich without hurting either my madtoms or my plants?

#2 Guest_gzeiger_*

Guest_gzeiger_*
  • Guests

Posted 05 April 2014 - 09:04 AM

This is sort of an urgent question. I'm afraid I'm going to start losing fish here if I'm not aggressive about treatment.

#3 Guest_Yeahson421_*

Guest_Yeahson421_*
  • Guests

Posted 05 April 2014 - 10:41 AM

I have no personal experience with catfish and ich, but I did a little research and it seems you're best off raising the temp, doing daily water changes, and avoiding the salt.

#4 Guest_Yeahson421_*

Guest_Yeahson421_*
  • Guests

Posted 05 April 2014 - 12:23 PM

Here, I found an article on treating catfish with ich: http://www.aquaticco...ckscaleless.php

#5 Guest_Subrosa_*

Guest_Subrosa_*
  • Guests

Posted 05 April 2014 - 02:39 PM

I use 300 gm/100L ( .3%) which works out to about 12 gm per gal in tanks with Clown Loaches which are also scaleless and intolerant of other meds. I can't vouch for the salt tolerance of Madtoms, but if you can't take it at least that high it won't kill the ich.

#6 Guest_AussiePeter_*

Guest_AussiePeter_*
  • Guests

Posted 05 April 2014 - 05:03 PM

My understanding is you need 5 grams per litre of salt to kill ich (which is fine if you are an Australian fish), not so sure about wimpy American ones. :tongue: 5g/l is a lot of salt (in a 10 gallon tank that is ~7-8 ounces of salt). You have to use the right salt too, not table salt.

I would stick to using heat if you didn't want to treat the fish. My favourite though was quick cure for ich, it's awesome for getting rid of it quickly, can usually find it in walmart.

Peter

#7 Guest_gzeiger_*

Guest_gzeiger_*
  • Guests

Posted 10 April 2014 - 12:41 PM

Looks like I have it under control with heat and a little salt. Quick Cure seems to be highly toxic to invertebrates, and therefore unacceptable for this tank. Can anybody tell me how long I need to maintain the heat?

#8 littlen

littlen
  • NANFA Member
  • Washington, D.C.

Posted 10 April 2014 - 07:34 PM

I would keep the salt and elevated temps for at least 2 weeks. If your fish are handling the salinity and higher temps, then go another week just to play it safe. No reason to stop the treatment early and have it come back.
Nick L.

#9 Guest_gzeiger_*

Guest_gzeiger_*
  • Guests

Posted 15 April 2014 - 07:22 PM

Unfortunately there is a reason. I'm going out of town soon and need to cool the water some to help them go without food.

#10 littlen

littlen
  • NANFA Member
  • Washington, D.C.

Posted 20 April 2014 - 09:29 PM

Having the ich reoccur is worse for your fish. They will do fine without food regardless of the temp.
Nick L.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users