Glass tops OK or heat trappers?

4 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_NotCousteau_*

Guest_NotCousteau_*
  • Guests

Posted 05 April 2014 - 06:00 PM

I'm looking to start a 33-long stream tank. Are the glass tips a bad idea? Would they trap too much heat? I was thinking of getting two 24-inch glass tops and then a light.

My second plan was just to get those standard, black aquarium tops/light fixtures with one bulb. I thought maybe they would trap less heat.

I'm not really looking to grow plants (will probably have some hardy plants like Java fern or Val), so the bulbs themselves aren't the issue.

What do you think?

Thanks.

#2 Guest_gerald_*

Guest_gerald_*
  • Guests

Posted 05 April 2014 - 08:11 PM

That of course depends on your heat sources, room temp, and what fish you're keeping. Set the ends of the light on some 1/2" or 1" square sticks at each end to provide a little airspace between the glass and light fixture. All my tanks have glass tops. Many natives are avid jumpers.

#3 Guest_harryknaub_*

Guest_harryknaub_*
  • Guests

Posted 06 April 2014 - 11:06 AM

I like glass tops because they let in a lot more light for the plants and cut down on evaporation and make it more difficult for fish to escape. Since my glass tops have a cut-out for the HOB filter, I don't think heat build up is a big problem, plus I don't see a spike in temp on the thermometer.

Harry Knaub

#4 Guest_Doug_Dame_*

Guest_Doug_Dame_*
  • Guests

Posted 06 April 2014 - 01:10 PM

My feeling is that glass tops aren't a significant issue in unwanted heat retention. If there's a heat problem, look first to reducing or minimizing the heat sources, which are primarily lights and in-tank pumps. Should be able to have a tank that's within a couple of degrees of ambient room temperature. (Warmer than ambient is easy. Cooler than ambient is $$$.)

#5 Guest_NotCousteau_*

Guest_NotCousteau_*
  • Guests

Posted 06 April 2014 - 01:38 PM

Thanks for the input, guys. I like the look of glass tops with the clip on lights vs the old school Aqueon black tops/canopies.

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users