Blue Spotted Sunfish

• Please log in to reply
21 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_nativecajun_*

Guest_nativecajun_*
  • Guests

Posted 23 March 2007 - 08:55 PM

I have five Blue Spotted Sunnies comming in tommorow. (sat) I have a fifteen that has been running for years. One small shadow bass is in it at the moment but he will come out. I intend to use this fifteen to grow them out a bit. I also have some Banded sunfish comming in the near future. These are small young fish. What is the recomended feeding regamin for these fish. I intend to grow them out and I am going to make my forty breeder into a sunfish tank. Blue spots, Banded, and maybe O-spots. Are the O-spots compatible with the blues and bandeds? I would really like to have a tank full of these blue and bandeds. Sunfish are my fish of choice. I have other predator fish right now but if I get these smaller sunnies as promised I want to have a tank full and would probably part with the predators. How many would you put on average in a forty breeder. The forty breeder is low and long. Three feet long I think. It is wide from front to back. So it has lots of surface area. Any info on captive care of this species would be appreciated and I thank you in advance.

Daniel

#2 Guest_nativecajun_*

Guest_nativecajun_*
  • Guests

Posted 28 March 2007 - 09:51 AM

Well at least now I know what not to do. :-({|=

#3 Guest_Irate Mormon_*

Guest_Irate Mormon_*
  • Guests

Posted 29 March 2007 - 04:45 PM

Who got eaten, and by whom :razz:

#4 Guest_edbihary_*

Guest_edbihary_*
  • Guests

Posted 29 March 2007 - 05:11 PM

Well at least now I know what not to do. :-({|=

Who got eaten, and by whom :razz:

I think he meant that he now knows not to seek advice since nobody replied to his question.

Daniel, there are various reasons nobody replied. Personally, I don't have any bluespotted sunfish, although I would like to change that eventually. So I couldn't advise you from experience. I would think you should treat them like any other sunfish, except smaller.

#5 Guest_teleost_*

Guest_teleost_*
  • Guests

Posted 29 March 2007 - 05:54 PM

I have Enneacanthus gloriosus and Lepomis humilis and have kept them together without incident for some time. I've never kept Ennecanthus obesus along with the others so I simply cannot answer your question.

#6 Guest_nativecajun_*

Guest_nativecajun_*
  • Guests

Posted 30 March 2007 - 07:16 AM

"Enneacanthus glorisus"

So what do you feed these?

#7 Guest_teleost_*

Guest_teleost_*
  • Guests

Posted 30 March 2007 - 07:50 AM

"Enneacanthus glorisus"

So what do you feed these?

I feed them just about anything other than pellets & flakes. Dried and froze inverts.

#8 Michael Wolfe

Michael Wolfe
  • Board of Directors
  • North Georgia, Oconee River Drainage

Posted 30 March 2007 - 11:14 AM

I can't give you any advise on how many to keep... I have two bandeds that patrol the bottom of 36 x 18 x 24 high (approx 50 gallon) tank... they seem to like the bottom of the tank and the shadows under the largers amazon sword I have ever grown... have had a variety of killies do OK with them... living on the surface, so not much interaction.

As far as food, they prefer live or frozen, but I can get them to pick at some pelleted foods... at least enough to keep em happy until I can get more frozen. They do come up in the water column for food, but seem to hesitate and not take anything off of the surface... waiting for it to sink somewhat before hitting it.

MW
Either write something worth reading or do something worth writing. - Benjamin Franklin

#9 Guest_gerald_*

Guest_gerald_*
  • Guests

Posted 30 March 2007 - 02:29 PM

Ive found obesus to be a little more outgoing, bold, and dominant than gloriosus. It gets over being skittish more easily than gloriosus. you can train both spp (and often e.chaetodon too) onto small cichlid pellets if you soak the pellets in thawed brine shrimp or bloodworms until soft. that is, AFTER theyve adapted to eating brine shrimp and bloodworms. newly caught ones i suggest salt and live food until theyre over the hump of inital capture/transport stress. A good size group might be better than too few, to diffuse aggression. the shadow bass im guessing WILL be a problem.

I can't give you any advise on how many to keep... I have two bandeds that patrol the bottom of 36 x 18 x 24 high (approx 50 gallon) tank... they seem to like the bottom of the tank and the shadows under the largers amazon sword I have ever grown... have had a variety of killies do OK with them... living on the surface, so not much interaction.

As far as food, they prefer live or frozen, but I can get them to pick at some pelleted foods... at least enough to keep em happy until I can get more frozen. They do come up in the water column for food, but seem to hesitate and not take anything off of the surface... waiting for it to sink somewhat before hitting it.

MW

#10 Guest_nativecajun_*

Guest_nativecajun_*
  • Guests

Posted 02 April 2007 - 07:46 PM

Thanks for the info all. I have blue spots eating frozen blood worms for now. And I did mention that the shadow bass was comming out. I just approached the front of my tank I have the blue spots growing out in and they all came to the front feeding spot. So they know who daddy is already. Neat to see. Now I am really confused though. I just told someone that I was keeping one of my pickerels and asked for a northern long ear and a pumpkinseed to go with him in my forty. I had a taker for both of my pickerels. Now you guys tell me you are keeping O-spots with E.glorious ?spelling with the O-spots. Makes me want to get rid of all of what I have in my forty and have orange spots, banded, and blue spots. I just love those little sunfish especially the blue sopts. I have never seen a banded yet nor have I seen an orange spot. So I may have to change my mind again and have those three species in my forty. Blue spotted, Banded, and Orange spotted sunfish. I have a guy wanting to ship some stuff from the north to me and I keep changing my mind. At least I do not think he has made it out yet anyway. I just love to many fish and have too little money for tanks. Anyone want to trade one hundred bluegill for five 75 gallon tanks, :mrgreen: I am sure looking forward to my little Blue spots growing. From smallest to largest the ones I have range from about 3/4 inch to 1.25 inch or a little larger. I am getting more, hince the want to get rid of everything in my forty and keep just the smaller species. So to my friend up north I may have to change my mind again before you go fishing for me. :shock: [-o<

#11 Guest_nativecajun_*

Guest_nativecajun_*
  • Guests

Posted 02 April 2007 - 07:49 PM

I feed them just about anything other than pellets & flakes. Dried and froze inverts.

I am sorry but I am not familiar with what inverts are. Dried or frozen. :neutral:

#12 Guest_sandtiger_*

Guest_sandtiger_*
  • Guests

Posted 02 April 2007 - 08:33 PM

I am sorry but I am not familiar with what inverts are. Dried or frozen. :neutral:

INVERTebrate.

#13 Guest_killier_*

Guest_killier_*
  • Guests

Posted 02 April 2007 - 08:33 PM

inverts are all crustaceans including brine shrimp crabs crayfish daphina copapods decapods and the like in this case they are talking of daphina brine shrimp and maybe freeze dried krill

#14 Guest_nativeplanter_*

Guest_nativeplanter_*
  • Guests

Posted 03 April 2007 - 11:32 AM

inverts are all crustaceans including brine shrimp crabs crayfish daphina copapods decapods and the like in this case they are talking of daphina brine shrimp and maybe freeze dried krill

but not all inverts are crustaceans. "Invertebrate" means "without a vertebrae". This includes all arthropods (e.g. crustaceans and insects), molluscs, worms, corals, etc.. (Interesting note - it also includes tunicates, which have a spinal cord but no vertebrae)

#15 Guest_teleost_*

Guest_teleost_*
  • Guests

Posted 03 April 2007 - 11:57 AM

Sorry Nativecajun,

I tend to abbreviate a bit much.

In this case I'm speaking about frozen market shrimp (saltwater), dried freshwater shrimp and dried earthworms.

#16 Guest_nativecajun_*

Guest_nativecajun_*
  • Guests

Posted 04 April 2007 - 07:42 PM

Sorry Nativecajun,

I tend to abbreviate a bit much.

In this case I'm speaking about frozen market shrimp (saltwater), dried freshwater shrimp and dried earthworms.

I kind of thought it was stuff without a spine like ---- never mind. But I did not know the kinds that you would feed to Blue Spotted Sunfish. So far I have just given them frozen blood worms and the same with brine shrimp. Any specifics on what freeze dried might work for them. Someone may have already posted it above but My mind wonders a bit. I will look meanwhile.

Thanks a lot. And I knew you were talking invertabrates but I just did not know what particular ones, or did I know the names of any.

#17 Guest_sandtiger_*

Guest_sandtiger_*
  • Guests

Posted 04 April 2007 - 07:59 PM

I kind of thought it was stuff without a spine like ---- never mind. But I did not know the kinds that you would feed to Blue Spotted Sunfish. So far I have just given them frozen blood worms and the same with brine shrimp. Any specifics on what freeze dried might work for them. Someone may have already posted it above but My mind wonders a bit. I will look meanwhile.

Thanks a lot. And I knew you were talking invertabrates but I just did not know what particular ones, or did I know the names of any.

My bluespot will take pretty much any frozen food he can eat. Bloodworms, mysis, krill, brineshrimp etc. I don't use many freezedried foods so I cannot help ya there. He will also take small live foods like daphnia and finely chopped earthworms. The only pellet I have gotten mine to eat is HBH SuperSoft Krill formula.

#18 Guest_nativecajun_*

Guest_nativecajun_*
  • Guests

Posted 05 April 2007 - 05:23 AM

"The only pellet I have gotten mine to eat is HBH SuperSoft Krill formula"

I actually bought some of this stuff a couple of weeks ago. HBH Supersoft Frozen Food Alternative (with krill) is what the lable says. It sinks right to the bottom and they hardly look at it. Oh well. Maybe when they are all growed up. These are tiny pellets.

Daniel

#19 Guest_troutperch beeman_*

Guest_troutperch beeman_*
  • Guests

Posted 05 April 2007 - 09:35 PM

Do you have any other fish in the tank? I try to have fish that are trained to take flake and pellet food in a tank with new fish. If you have a couple guppies or whitecloud minnows in the tank when you feed them it stimulates the new fish to feed, in theory. It starts a feeding frenzy sort of. I have used this before with very good success. All of my bluespots eat whatever I put in the tank frozen, flake, pellet, and live. I have tried the super soft pellet and really was not happy with it, it crumbles to dust before the fish could eat it. I like the small marine pellets from Hikari. Also small garden worms are a favorite.

#20 Guest_nativecajun_*

Guest_nativecajun_*
  • Guests

Posted 06 April 2007 - 05:47 AM

Do you have any other fish in the tank? I try to have fish that are trained to take flake and pellet food in a tank with new fish. If you have a couple guppies or whitecloud minnows in the tank when you feed them it stimulates the new fish to feed, in theory. It starts a feeding frenzy sort of. I have used this before with very good success. All of my bluespots eat whatever I put in the tank frozen, flake, pellet, and live. I have tried the super soft pellet and really was not happy with it, it crumbles to dust before the fish could eat it. I like the small marine pellets from Hikari. Also small garden worms are a favorite.

Actually I have five blue finned killies and two wild type male guppies. So I may give that flake think a go.

Thanks,
Daniel

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users