TWRA Requesting Public Input

• Please log in to reply
92 replies to this topic

#61 Guest_fundulus_*

Guest_fundulus_*
  • Guests

Posted 01 May 2014 - 07:51 PM

I own not one but two trucks with 4WD. But I've never drank NaturalLite....

#62 Guest_Dustin_*

Guest_Dustin_*
  • Guests

Posted 02 May 2014 - 07:05 AM

Disqualified then. You still have time Bruce.

#63 mattknepley

mattknepley
  • NANFA Member
  • Smack-dab between the Savannah and the Saluda.

Posted 02 May 2014 - 07:25 AM

I own not one but two trucks with 4WD. But I've never drank NaturalLite....

That qualifies you to be an upstate NYer or north/central PA-ian as much as it does a southerner. And besides, no disrespect intended to Wolfe and Dustin, but they aren't exactly the inside scoop on all things redneck. Heck, Michael and Dustin added together are about as redneck as Manhattan clam chowder, from what I've seen... ;)
Matt Knepley
"No thanks, a third of a gopher would merely arouse my appetite..."

#64 Michael Wolfe

Michael Wolfe
  • Board of Directors
  • North Georgia, Oconee River Drainage

Posted 02 May 2014 - 01:01 PM

Hey come on now. I drove you around in a jeep with no top in the rain and then you slander me with some NY soup. That ain't right.
Either write something worth reading or do something worth writing. - Benjamin Franklin

#65 Guest_Casper_*

Guest_Casper_*
  • Guests

Posted 02 May 2014 - 01:17 PM

You know i tease you Bruce, that is a Southern Thang. That means we like ya.
This is what i am adding to the e-mailed letter...

Bruce Stallsmith of Huntsville, AL. Alabama Representative and former NANFA President. UA Ichthyologist.

I do like the more 'bama version though. Surely you have dang near acclimated by now. Most fellas can't work outside in Alabama without their neck getting red.

Michael... slathered and slandered with chowder. :) A lot of fun creativity of late.

I did mail my personal letter to TWRA this morning. Fellow Members... i sure hope all this effort comes to a positive revision in the regulations for all ethical NANFA fish keepers.

#66 mattknepley

mattknepley
  • NANFA Member
  • Smack-dab between the Savannah and the Saluda.

Posted 02 May 2014 - 01:44 PM

Hey come on now. I drove you around in a jeep with no top in the rain and then you slander me with some NY soup. That ain't right.

Criminy, I've been laughing five minutes straight over that one; didn't realize soup cut so deep. :) But don't let your feelings be hurt, Michael. I have never had cause to question your southern-ness. You are definitely a good son of Dixie. But that doesn't mean you're a redneck.
Matt Knepley
"No thanks, a third of a gopher would merely arouse my appetite..."

#67 Guest_keepnatives_*

Guest_keepnatives_*
  • Guests

Posted 02 May 2014 - 02:53 PM

Criminy, I've been laughing five minutes straight over that one; didn't realize soup cut so deep. :) But don't let your feelings be hurt, Michael. I have never had cause to question your southern-ness. You are definitely a good son of Dixie. But that doesn't mean you're a redneck.

Absolutely, redneck is more a state of mind then the state you live in. There's plenty of rednecks in NY.

#68 Guest_fundulus_*

Guest_fundulus_*
  • Guests

Posted 03 May 2014 - 01:04 PM

Mike says it all, very elegantly.

#69 Guest_Casper_*

Guest_Casper_*
  • Guests

Posted 05 May 2014 - 10:00 AM

I just emailed our letter to TWRA, tomorrow being the deadline. 41 signatures. Let us trust they will reconsider their restrictive regulation.

#70 Guest_jblaylock_*

Guest_jblaylock_*
  • Guests

Posted 05 May 2014 - 10:34 AM

I feel like you may be a response, Casper, due to the letter and signatures. Let us know if you do.

#71 Guest_Skipjack_*

Guest_Skipjack_*
  • Guests

Posted 06 May 2014 - 09:15 PM

Good Job Casper, and all who wrote their own letters, and everyone who signed. This little grassroots campaign may open some eyes.

#72 Guest_Uland_*

Guest_Uland_*
  • Guests

Posted 03 June 2014 - 10:51 AM

I received a blanket response. I presume everyone else did also. :angry:

#73 Guest_Erica Lyons_*

Guest_Erica Lyons_*
  • Guests

Posted 03 June 2014 - 11:14 AM

Copy of the letter below. Just in case anybody's e-mail is left off the mailing list, here's what they said.

The Tennessee Wildlife Resources Agency received your comments regarding the Live Bait Proclamation 13-15 which restricts the possession of live fish. Several members of our fisheries and law enforcement personnel recently reviewed your comments and request.

It is still legal to keep legally-obtained fish in aquaria. Some invasive species are banned, such as snakeheads, but most other species are legal. What has changed is that it is no longer legal to take live specimens of most species from the wild. It is still legal to take live gamefish, but most of the common non-game fish may not be taken from the water and transported alive.

We recognize that most of the non-game species are relatively abundant and that populations would not be threatened by some level of harvest. For this reason, we do allow these species to be used as live bait within the water body from which they are collected. What we are most concerned about is the potential for an angler or collector to move these species to non-native ranges. As geneticists and taxonomists publish more about these species, we are learning that those native ranges are often much smaller than we once thought. The proclamation was designed to restrict people from moving live specimens of most fish species by bait buckets or other containers.

We recognize that experienced hobbyists know not to release fish back into the wild. However we commonly get calls from people that would prefer to release their aquarium fish. This proclamation is intended to reduce the opportunity for someone to take fish and decide to release them later. At this time we are not recommending changes to the Live Bait Proclamation 13-15. Should we revisit this proclamation in the future will be consider your concerns in that decision process.

We encourage you to enjoy the fishes of Tennessee. With a fishing license you can seine non-game fish, handle them, take photos and release them, or keep dead specimens. There are restricted areas and protected species, but generally there are hundreds of species available for observation. You can also view fish by snorkeling or scuba without a fishing license.
Thank you for your comments and appreciation of Tennessee’s resources.

Sincerely,
Frank Fiss
Assistant Chief of Fisheries, TWRA

#74 Guest_jblaylock_*

Guest_jblaylock_*
  • Guests

Posted 03 June 2014 - 01:11 PM

](*,)

#75 Guest_Mike_*

Guest_Mike_*
  • Guests

Posted 03 June 2014 - 01:46 PM

Very disappointing, they want to limit the chance of native fish being released in new waters, but it’s still ok to have imported aquarium fish. (As we all know they are not all tropical)

#76 Guest_fundulus_*

Guest_fundulus_*
  • Guests

Posted 03 June 2014 - 08:35 PM

My cynical thought is that it gets back to two things: A) few people who work for TWRA can tell one species from another in many species groups, and 2) they don't have the resources to have more people who CAN tell species apart and work with the underlying biology. So please don't bug us.

#77 Guest_fritz_*

Guest_fritz_*
  • Guests

Posted 03 June 2014 - 08:46 PM

Yep I agree. And I got the same letter

#78 Guest_Casper_*

Guest_Casper_*
  • Guests

Posted 03 June 2014 - 09:02 PM

Something we can discuss in NC. Frank Fiss has long been the core of TWRA native fish permitting and regulations.

#79 Guest_fundulus_*

Guest_fundulus_*
  • Guests

Posted 03 June 2014 - 10:24 PM

Let me add I don't think they're bad people, they're trying to make the best of what they see as a bad situation.

#80 Michael Wolfe

Michael Wolfe
  • Board of Directors
  • North Georgia, Oconee River Drainage

Posted 04 June 2014 - 06:07 AM

That's a tough one for me to support. Are they really trying for the best solution, or just the easiest one? Taking the easy way out is just lazy. You suggest that maybe they are good people. That is noble since they certainly don't think we are good people. If they did they would work with us for a solution. Some of us suggested alternatives like special permits or something, but there answer is " seine em up And kill em if you want, but don't take any home alive". I'm not sure that is good people. Or at least not people behaving well.
Either write something worth reading or do something worth writing. - Benjamin Franklin

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users