problem with my 125 gal

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_matthews_*

Guest_matthews_*
  • Guests

Posted 24 March 2007 - 04:44 PM

hello everyone i have broken the top brace of my 125 gal tank ( the 2 support brackets ) i have tried glueing them with weldon product but after moving the tank it has broke again any suggestions i,ve thought of getting plexeglass strips and drilling a hole in them and the plastic brace and screwing them together to brace the support i can't get a new top at local pet stores please help it's set up and ready to go but it bow's when i put water in it

#2 Guest_bullhead_*

Guest_bullhead_*
  • Guests

Posted 24 March 2007 - 05:17 PM

It sounds like a clean break right in the middle. A butt joint with glue would never have the strength of the original (as you found out). You have the right idea with a kind of splint using plexiglass or some other strong material. I would not use any metal, as it does not mix well with water and fish. Attach the splint with some strong epoxy. The Walmart kind will work OK, I suppose, but "real" epoxy is much stronger. The 20 minute kind. Its a little expensive, and may be hard to find (especially in small quantities). Do you know any rocketry people? Chances are they would have some. Silicone may be strong enough, instead of epoxy.

#3 Guest_teleost_*

Guest_teleost_*
  • Guests

Posted 24 March 2007 - 08:02 PM

I bought a used tank with the same broken piece. I simply cut an 1/8" thick piece of plexiglass roughly 3" in the same shape as the cracked area. I used masking tape to trace the exact shape. I then used super glue to attach the plexiglass to the cracked area. This worked perfectly. You can't tell the brace had ever been broken and this part of the brace is now much stronger than the rest of the brace.

#4 Guest_bflowers_*

Guest_bflowers_*
  • Guests

Posted 25 March 2007 - 12:00 AM

I bought a used tank with the same broken piece. I simply cut an 1/8" thick piece of plexiglass roughly 3" in the same shape as the cracked area. I used masking tape to trace the exact shape. I then used super glue to attach the plexiglass to the cracked area. This worked perfectly. You can't tell the brace had ever been broken and this part of the brace is now much stronger than the rest of the brace.

You might contact the manufacturer of the tank and get a replacement trim top for the tank. I know Perfecto used to do that. Some pet stores can get the top trim for you also.

Bill F.

#5 Guest_matthews_*

Guest_matthews_*
  • Guests

Posted 25 March 2007 - 04:37 PM

thanks guy's you have really helped just wanted to get some feedback from other members hopefully i can get this thing up and running so i can add more fish peace matt s.

#6 Guest_troutperch beeman_*

Guest_troutperch beeman_*
  • Guests

Posted 26 March 2007 - 08:34 AM

I have had this happen to me in the past. My fix was to get some 1/8" plexi and cut it 3 to 4 inches longer than the width of the tank. Then clamp to the work bench or something streight and flame resistent. Heat with a torch or heat gun then bend using a pair of pliers to form a 90* angle. Then I siliconed them in place using a brick to hold it in place till the silicone dried. This happened three years ago and it is still holding strong. I try to add a couple of pics but might not be that smart.

[attachment=3496:000_3165.JPG]

[attachment=3497:000_3166.JPG]

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users