Oddities of the north Atlantic

8 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_FirstChAoS_*

Guest_FirstChAoS_*
  • Guests

Posted 14 May 2014 - 12:08 PM

I went on a deep sea fishing trip last saturday. I had no real luck. (got a small sculpin, but never saw it as my line was tangled on the other side of the boar and they untangled itand released the fish, without me seeing.) I know this is not a fishing forum, but I think you could see some of the more unusual fishes we saw.

When people think redfish they usually think of a large brownish fish in the drum family. When people think rockfish they think the west coast where the species diversity of them is greatest. But the east coast of North America has three species of rockfish (and another is found in Europe making the north Atlantic have a total of four species). The ones in the northeast of North America are the Acadian Redfish, Rose Fish, and Deepwater Redfish/ I am not sure which this is (people called it both a rosy, and a redfish, so rose fish could be a possibility).

Posted Image

Posted Image

This fish did not fare well. He was pulled up too fast and suffered from decompression sickness (or whatever fish bends are called), causing his eyes to bulge, and him to float on the surface on release. It does make me wonder though. If you can reel up a redfish slowly enough for it to repressurize can it make a good aquarium fish?

The other oddity looks like a flattened muppet in this image, but it is a longhorn sculpin. The most common sculpin in the gulf of maine. A fish that eats a wide variety of living creatures (I read a list of their diet, it was long). And like other sculpins it changes colors to match its environment/

Posted Image

#2 mattknepley

mattknepley
  • NANFA Member
  • Smack-dab between the Savannah and the Saluda.

Posted 14 May 2014 - 06:16 PM

Sculpin are just funky-lookin' fish.
Matt Knepley
"No thanks, a third of a gopher would merely arouse my appetite..."

#3 Guest_BenCantrell_*

Guest_BenCantrell_*
  • Guests

Posted 14 May 2014 - 06:51 PM

Super cool! Thanks for sharing. Someday I hope to do some deep sea fishing.

#4 mattknepley

mattknepley
  • NANFA Member

Posted 14 May 2014 - 08:42 PM

Ben, Maybe you and Josh could pioneer deep-sea microfishing. Just a (stupid) thought... :)
Matt Knepley

#5 mattknepley

mattknepley
  • NANFA Member

Posted 14 May 2014 - 08:43 PM

Arrggh, stuck in the "Groundhog's Day" of edits! Sorry, folks!
Matt Knepley

#6 Guest_BenCantrell_*

Guest_BenCantrell_*
  • Guests

Posted 14 May 2014 - 09:23 PM

Ben, Maybe you and Josh could pioneer deep-sea microfishing. Just a (stupid) thought... :)

You would laugh your ass off if you heard all the ideas us microfishing guys have tossed around. Deep sea microfishing has definitely been discussed!

#7 Guest_gzeiger_*

Guest_gzeiger_*
  • Guests

Posted 18 May 2014 - 01:11 PM

A reward is offered for the first hook-and-line capture of a daphnid.

#8 Guest_FirstChAoS_*

Guest_FirstChAoS_*
  • Guests

Posted 18 May 2014 - 08:40 PM

I seriously debated ice microfishing last winter, but by the time I got my auger fixed it was too late. Plus I won't mess with microleaders until I find snelled ones.

A reward is offered for the first hook-and-line capture of a daphnid.

If what they said on the "farm" section at the cottom of this article is true, people may have even caught things SMALLER than daphina http://www.viewingsp..._j_ars_elec.htm

#9 Guest_gzeiger_*

Guest_gzeiger_*
  • Guests

Posted 18 May 2014 - 08:44 PM

Tenkarabums has snelled microhooks...?

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users