CNF Snorkels 2014

52 replies to this topic

#21 Guest_Casper_*

Guest_Casper_*
  • Guests

Posted 07 July 2014 - 06:01 PM

Leeches are troubling. My itchy toe, the one next to my wee wee all the way home toe, turned out later had a dried up leech under it. 3 days! Looks like i should take a shower every now and then. It was not too bad but i had a couple bigger ones a month ago that left nasty, itchy, weeping marks for several weeks.
Mike Rowe was working a "Dirty Job" in Minnesota catching leeches for fish bait. There were like 3 different kinds. A Leech, a Bloodsucker and a Diamondback. Could not quite grasp the variables but the Diamondbacks were pronounced bad, with potential anaphylactic reaction, and causing bleeding all day.
So who knows what is out in the river. I see leeches in many locations, even in the riffles at the Conasauga. In the past at other locations i always seemed to get the most while working up into back waters, kinda stagnant waters.
Yes, most turtles have a good bit of leeches on them. Once we performed "medical service" on a big River Cooter. It was covered with leeches on his underside. We tugged and pulled off several dozen with tweezers and put them in a tub so the attendees could see them. When the show was over i was dragging the tub up into the woods to dump them out. "No No" said Boss Jim... "Back into the river they go. They are part of the eco system."

I asked if i could wait til we all left.

#22 Guest_Casper_*

Guest_Casper_*
  • Guests

Posted 07 July 2014 - 06:46 PM

After returning to the water i found an American Flag lapel pin. Being we were entering the 4th of July holiday weekend i had a bit of fun trying to compose various shots. There are tricks to everything, wrangling fish and critters this way and that. Wait, hold steady! I got a few to cooperate...

0a-FlagHoliday2.JPG

4th of July Holiday Darter

0b-FlagBronze.JPG

Amber Waves of Bronze

0c-FlagShiner.JPG

Flag Shiner ( Kinda )

0d-FlagCray.JPG

Americana

0f-FlagSculpin.JPG

Banded Sculpin with red and white stripes

0g-FlagSucker.JPG

Proud Alabama Hogsucker

#23 Guest_Casper_*

Guest_Casper_*
  • Guests

Posted 18 July 2014 - 03:39 PM

Wednesday July 9 Boys & Girls Club from Cleveland and a neighboring county

B&G-Club.JPG

The kids today seemed more interested in socializing and splashing each other in the cool mountain water. A pretty day but only a few were truly interested in all the activity below the surface.

LittleEddy.JPG

Little Eddy was one fella that kept his head in the water seeing Hogsuckers vacumming and Logperch flipping.

Bruce&Pam.JPG

A lady friend and her friend made the drive to share the day with us.

FungalPlate.JPG

After everyone left my naturalist friend and i stayed in the water til late afternoon looking at the last spawning shiners of the season, Alabama and Tricolors still in fine condition. Chilled we eventually got out and walked the trail and found these summer mushrooms for the dinner plate. 2 species of Chanterelles, Blue Lactarius and some mystery fungi just beyond the plate of known edibles.

#24 Guest_Casper_*

Guest_Casper_*
  • Guests

Posted 18 July 2014 - 05:54 PM

Conasauga 3 mile Float with the CFI Crew

Conservation Fisheries invited me along for a float trip to see if they could locate any Conasauga Logperch, and hopefully some tagged ones from 2 or 3 years ago. I have been wanting to canoe a section of the Conasauga for quite some time but never had the opportunity until this Wednesday. We put in at a convenient access and stopped at 4 or 5 sites along the 3 mile drift to snorkel in fairly clear water below long graveled riffle runs, a favored habitat for many darters and logperch.

The day was beautiful, temperatures cooling a bit from the recent summer highs and oddly the water felt warmer than the air. I would often return to the water just to stay out of the chilling breeze.
We were downstream of my usual locations having entered the farming plains of the wide valley. Pat seemed to think the river substrate was nicer than before but i was negatively impressed by the sedimentation. Several long runs were barren, the cobble buried in sand and i often wondered what it would have looked like 300 years ago before modern man's disturbances. Most of the banks were tree lined but just beyond there were fields of corn. Nonetheless we had many interesting sightings along the way including a beaver swimming underwater alongside our kayaks, masses of dark shadowed Buffalo drifting beneath us, a big pod of blood red finned River Redhorse, longnosed Gar cruising the shallows along with a fine variety of the minnows and darters that we all enjoy.

01-Stop1.JPG

Our first stop was below an arcing gravel run. Plenty of Logperch, Conasauga and Mobile along with Blackbanded, Speckled, Coosa, Greenbreast, Bridled and Bronze. It was also nice to see so many Riffle Minnows as they are rare upstream at the snorkel hole.

02-StandingPat.JPG

I was worried about handling a canoe alone so Pat gave up his kayak and gained the vantage of standing in the canoe which provided alerting views to beavers, buffalo and gar ahead.

03-CanoeCrew.JPG

2nd stop JR, Pat, Rebecca and Crystal, with Pat taking notes of our sightings. It was nice to be able to ask and glean knowledge from those that know their fish. I felt very fortunate to be along. For 5 years no Conasauga Logperch had been sighted at previous known locations up and down the river including the snorkel hole. So i took it upon myself to try and find one and In my wanderings and gaining access from folks along the river i photographed a questionable Logperch and submitted it to Pat and JR for review. Sure enough it was a Jenkinsi. They showed up with a crew and netted about a dozen which they used to spawn and tag about a thousand individuals that were then released 2 or 3 years ago at several locations. For the first year i saw several tattooed Juvis but none last year or this year.

04-Downstream.JPG

Drifting toward the half way point, the arcing bridge ahead. This was a common recording site for ichthyologists in the past. Below us were the Buffalo, black shadows, maybe a hundred swimming in and out of the light as we drifted above.

05-ConasaugaLogperch1.JPG

Conasauga Logperch. No red in their dorsal fins as Mobiles have. More intricately patterned, finer lines. Hard to identify even for me still, but when you see one it clicks. Once you start studying them, there seems to be a lot of variation in Logperch's patterns of all species. We never found any carrying the florescent polymer markers. Florescent paint fades in the sunlight and i think the old markers may have faded as well.

06-Darter1.JPG

Blackbanded or Freckled? A mystery. We found a brush pile and there were a dozen of these variable darters all mixed in between us, and JR is still puzzled and the books add more confusion. Caudal base spots, some fused, anterior dorsal base spots. Tough for them and well beyond me. Sometimes it's best to simply enjoy what is living before you.

07-Darter2.JPG

...and another mystery sample. Upstream i typically find a lot of big Blackbanded Darters. I need to look at them again. The CFI gang told me that Freckled Darters can be one of the biggest darters recorded.

08-WaterWillow.JPG

JR embracing the beautiful day.

My next Cherokee Forest Water's Snorkel trips are not until mid early August, only 4 more til the season ends. August 15 will be at the Hiwassee River. That gives me options of visiting other locations in the next few weeks and another is planned for tomorrow, the base of Monteagle and up onto the Barrens plateau for Sunday, if this ongoing but needed rain lets up.

#25 Isaac Szabo

Isaac Szabo
  • NANFA Member
  • Marble Falls, AR

Posted 18 July 2014 - 06:40 PM

Good stuff. I'm glad you finally got to float the Conasauga and that you guys found a good number of Conasauga Logperch.

#26 Guest_Casper_*

Guest_Casper_*
  • Guests

Posted 08 August 2014 - 02:19 PM

Conasauga River August 7 Tennessee Aquarium

Back to the Conasauga on a perfect day. Chilly morning water read 70 degrees but increased to 80 by the late afternoon.
Visibility was near maximum with over 10' visibility in the pools and crystal clear in the riffles.

01-SnorkelGang.JPG

Early morning arrival. George, the Ladies and Bill getting ready for the chilly start.

02-BamaBlur.JPG

Bama Shiners were pleasantly back in color. The recent cool summer temps have a few fired up. The most beautiful of the day were Tricolors, wowee they were nice. Pure iridescent. A few Blues too in their lemon yellow finage. I think these fish don't look at calendars, instead they seize the day.

03-CrayfishShed.JPG

Looks like a fresh shed Craydad. Some of the Conasauga Crays are beautifully marked.

04-Dobbsinfly.JPG

You often find these egg cases on the north side of stones protruding from the river. I suspect when the water rises they soften and release the larva contained into the water flow. Here is a female adult probably considering a sweet spot. She still sports the pincers from her aquatic form and will draw blood with no remorse.

05-Hogsucker.JPG

Fancy Alabama Hogsucker. I think i had my white balance set correctly from an earlier visit. I believe it is retained from my setting several weeks ago. Hard to remember resetting AWB while up and down and in and out.

06-SnorkelGang2.JPG

The group of 14, lacking George, dressed for their return drive to Chattanooga. Very enthusiastic bunch. Employees, Interns and summer camp advisors for the Tennessee Aquarium.

07-Tricolor.JPG

Back in the water, looking downstream with a Tricolor sweeping into view.

08-Nate.JPG

Son of Sam, young Nate crawling his way through the river rubble.

09-8FeetDeep.JPG

8 Feet Deep and holding fast.

10-Sam.JPG

Sam he is, pulling himself through the low water gap. I have the gaps and canyons memorized, when the water is low you need to know which way to go.

11-LickSmear.JPG

Licksmear image. Going in and out of the water makes for lens issues. I have yet to figure out how to take a dry towel along while snorkeling. Sometimes licking the lens and flicking it snap quick will make for a clean rinse, most the times though you get these weird abstracts. My new friend Paul-Erik, young Nate and my old friend Sam.

12-Flurry.JPG

Flurry of Fish. Point your head downstream just below a riffle run and dig your toes in. Fish will be in your face.

13-Stonerollers.JPG

Just beyond a herd of Stonerollers grazing on the slick rocks.

14-Turd.JPG

Looks like a Blue Shiner from the caudal mark, a Bronze and an Alabama agape. Descending turd from a Stoneroller beyond.

15-TurtleGirl.JPG

Grand Pa and Ma brought the kids to the cooling river before school starts. I found this little Stripe Neck for them to see.

16-Roadkill.JPG

Roadkill, crushed on the packed gravel. Paul-Erik was gonna skin him but the flies were making quick decay of it.

17-ASIH.JPG

Paul-Erik was wearing this nifty shirt from the ASIH meeting where he was a poster poster last Thursday. Unsigned artwork by our master artist Dave Neely. Can you name all the critters clockwise from high noon?

Back to the river tomorrow for a Scout Troop and predicted thunderstorms. Bryce is going to bring along his working camera sans stuck sand specks.

#27 Guest_MuskieBait_*

Guest_MuskieBait_*
  • Guests

Posted 08 August 2014 - 06:15 PM

Just want to say that I love this series of snorkel reports. Thanks for taking the time to post the pictures, Casper!

#28 Guest_Casper_*

Guest_Casper_*
  • Guests

Posted 11 August 2014 - 02:28 PM

Thanks Canadian Muskie Bait. It is a fun activity and i try to express it well with photos and words. I feel very blessed to have this seasonal opportunity and it's a bonus to be paid and gain a plethora of business deductions.
Maybe one day you can make a trek into the southeastern waters.

#29 Guest_Casper_*

Guest_Casper_*
  • Guests

Posted 11 August 2014 - 02:41 PM

Conasauga River Scout Troop 457 August 9

Another fine day on the river. We dodged the predicted thunderstorms and got a little bit of sunlight and rays through the overcast skies. Bryce assisted in a fine manner, helping keep track of 24 eager boys, and preventing their downstream plunge over the falls. Lifeguard Brooke kept an eye on the middle group and i had the remaining scouts at the riffle run upstream. 24 boys is a lot of boys.

01-CampSnorkel.JPG

Camp Snorkel.

02-BSA457.JPG

24 Boys and 5 good Fathers.

03-TurtleBoy1.JPG

I dove under a rock ledge and pulled this Cooter out. I raised it high and let out a Rebel yell and the boys responded with "Turtle Man!" Not much to worry about holding this longfingered male but you should not tempt him with a too close pink pinky tease.

04-TurtleBoy2.JPG

Big Cooter, Little Scout.

05-Exit.JPG

Packing up, 2:00.

06-ExitGang.JPG

Patrol members: Cyclones, Flaming Cobras, Gnarly Beetles and future Hogsuckers.

07-FlyKill.JPG

Horseflies were awful today. The boys were hopping and swatting until i released the goverment issue flyswater. By the end of the early afternoon they had a total kill of 24 plus a yellow hornet. Good fish food for the latter half of the day. There is a horse camp a few miles upstream and when there is no horse blood available... ouch... now i hate horses too.

08a-ClearView.JPG

Back in the water for turbid free, crystal clear views.

08b-Bryce.JPG

Bryce looking for fancy fishes to photo.

09-Snack.JPG

I turned a stone, which made for a quick snatch of a crushed Hellgrammit.

10-Coosa.JPG

Coosa Bass. King predator of the shallows runs.

11-Alabama.JPG

One of a few Alabama Shiners still in their prime. In the Spring that enlarged dorsal fin is a metallic foil blue.

12-BronzePair.JPG

Pair of handsome Bronze Darters, Percina palmaris, Latin for "The Prize". The most common Darter encountered at the snorkel hole.

13-Bridled.JPG

Bridled Darter, a Conasauga species only. A similiar Muscadine further south i think.

14-Sculpin.JPG

Sculpin.

15-Map.JPG

A tiny water shed, with a wonderfully high diversity of 76. I figure most folks see about 20 species at the snorkel hole, i can see about 30 if i pay full attention. Downstream i can add a few more but lose a few too.

Headed to the Hiwassee Friday, another underwater world of diversity to behold.

#30 Isaac Szabo

Isaac Szabo
  • NANFA Member
  • Marble Falls, AR

Posted 11 August 2014 - 03:17 PM

Nice photos. Your posts bring back good memories of my visit there. Makes me want to get back over there soon.

#31 Guest_trygon_*

Guest_trygon_*
  • Guests

Posted 11 August 2014 - 09:24 PM

Saturday was a good day, after herding Scouts all morning it was nice to relax, observe and photograph some of the denizens of the Conasauga. Here is my contribution from the day.

alabama.jpg
Alabama Shiner

lssr.jpg
Largescale Stonerollers

hog.jpg
Alabama Hogsucker at work

sculpin.jpg
Banded Sculpin

bridled.jpg
Bridled Darter

holiday.jpg
holiday2.jpg
Holiday Darters

palmaris.jpg
Bronze Darter

spider.jpg
Spider. Phil, any ideas what kind?

#32 Isaac Szabo

Isaac Szabo
  • NANFA Member
  • Marble Falls, AR

Posted 11 August 2014 - 11:46 PM

Wow, great photos Bryce! I can't single out any favorites cause they're all just really good. I think your spider is a type of fishing spider.

#33 Guest_FSsnorkeler_*

Guest_FSsnorkeler_*
  • Guests

Posted 12 August 2014 - 10:12 AM

Casper and Bryce, outstanding discussion and photos! You are changing the way people look at streams.

#34 Guest_Casper_*

Guest_Casper_*
  • Guests

Posted 13 August 2014 - 11:11 AM

I like those snuggling Stonerollers Bryce. I knew something was odd about that 8 legged spider, eventually counting only 7. A hairy beast. I have caught them up in a seine along with fish and critters and they will grab a flipping minnow quick. Extreme opportunists, totally unconcerned about being captured in a seine.

Some of these fish, particularily the Bridled and Bronze Darters, Bryce and i herded between us. Often nervous fish will dash away as you close in for a close up but by keeping the subject between us we were much more successful. A twig can be used to gently direct and pose them if you have a buddy pushing the lens forward. Hardly enough hands when alone.

DSCN4445.JPG

Here is an awesome photograph of a Banded Watersnake, ( Northern? ), taken by my friend Paul-Erik last Thursday. His technique is to wet the stone, cooling it and making the stone more photogenic, lay the snake down and cover it til it calms, and then slowly remove his hands for a photo. He has other photos of blander snakes on this same stone. Where i might see 1 snake Paul-Erik sees 12. He is a snake whisperer.

After my last posting i got to thinking about the species diversity numbers encountered at the Snorkel Hole on a typical day...

In the deep pool...
Freshwater Drum.
Black Redhorse.
River Redhorse.
Big Bass, Spotted or what is now known as the Alabama Spotted Bass.

In the riffle run...
Darters: Bronze, Holiday, Bridled, Logperch, Greenbreast.
Shiners: Alabama, Tricolor, Blue.
Stonerollers, Alabama Hogsuckers, Banded Sculpin, Coosa Bass.

In the flowing pools...
Sunfish: Redbreast, Longear, Shadow Bass.

That makes 19 so i have been, truth now told, exaggerating a good bit.

With persistance and luck i can sometimes add several more such as the Speckled and Coosa Darters. Bryce saw a Blackbanded last year. A madtom while turning enough stones. Channel by day and a mystery Catfish by night, probably Flatheads. Sometimes Southern Studfish in the warm shallows while standing on a hot day. Mystery Minnows like Coosa, Silverstripe and Burrhead Shiners are likely seen but difficult to ID. Riffle Minnows sometimes. Gar once in 5 years. Stripped Bass last year. That could push it to 30 or so average with diligence.

So i would now say about 20 on any given day and for most first time observers about a dozen. I will be refining my talk when noting the 76 species in the Conasauga River system and what one will likely see that day. 3 more sessions to go unless i assist Ed for those back to back school groups in September.

#35 Guest_jblaylock_*

Guest_jblaylock_*
  • Guests

Posted 13 August 2014 - 02:28 PM

Awesome photos Bryce. That Alabama Shiner is awesome!

#36 Guest_Casper_*

Guest_Casper_*
  • Guests

Posted 27 August 2014 - 11:25 AM

Conasauga River Cleveland HS Aquatic Biology Class Tuesday

01-CHS-Students.JPG

What a fine group of 25 attentive, well mannered, and enthusiastic youngsters. All students of Jeannie Q who i met years ago while standing in a Chattanooga urban creek as we electro shock surveyed for native fishes. Jeannie created the Aquatic Biology class and this was a fine field day of the curriculum, immersing the students in a mountain stream.
Recent thunderstorm bursts had murked up the clarity but staying in the sunlite riffle runs yielded some nice views, behaviors and feeding activity. The water was a cool and comfortable 68 degrees in the morning and increased to the mid 70s after our lunch break. By late summer most breeding colors have faded and spawning activity is generally over. I refer to this snorkeling period as the duldrums of Summer. Only a hint of past colors remained on a few Alabama and Tricolor Shiners. Still Holiday Darters sported some of their bright red and green marking and Bronze Darters were handsome though their markings muted. While turning stones Sculpins color shifted in the sunlight when exposed as would the hiding Greenbreast Darters. Logperch were extra wary today but several large Alabama Hogsuckers allowed close up views of their vacumn feeding, Little Hoovers. Sculpins, Crawfish, Pollywogs and Musk Turtles were all captured by hand and proudly displayed to one another. Herds of algae grazing Stonerollers flashed mirror bright as they turned in the sun. This time of year one has to focus on feeding behaviors and identifications not the vivid colors of spring spawnings.

02-Flow.JPG

After the students departed Robert and i returned for another hour exploring the snorkel hole's perimeter to no real excitement or new observations. We decided the cool water had been chilling enough so we took a short warming walk along the old railroad bed trail and collected a few spicy Chanterells, Cinnabar they are refered to as. Edible when raw they make a fine garnish for a fresh salad. Commonly found along streambanks, often in great quantities, they are an easy find on summer walks.

03-Cinnabar.JPG

04-Abduction.JPG

We continued on, leaving the trail following a wooded ravine stream looking for more Cinnabars and other summer fungi. Looking up through the trees i could make out a large, translucent object near the top of a ridge line. With caution we angled up through the broken rocky rubble, poison ivy and broken limbs. Robert and i could see what appeared to be some form of shimmering material caught in the treetops. Lost weather ballons, parachutes, meth labs, government experiments, drug camps all ran through our minds but still intrigued we moved ever closer and could make out shadowed angled shapes within and slow pulsing lights lower beneath. We paused and i took this photo then urged Robert to move to the far side as i slowly approached from a lower angle. We were much closer now, near able to touch the material while still trying to peer through the sunshines illuminated glaze. Before i could say anything Robert had bent down and lifted the shimmering mesh from the ground. A low shrill commenced increasing to a piercing near deafening sound. A bright flash erupted. I could not see nor hear but felt shadows moving about.

We found ourselves back in the river. 3 hours had passed. Cool water flowed over me. I could not remember shadows as Robert drifted by and i snapped his picture.

05-BlissfulRobert.JPG

#37 Isaac Szabo

Isaac Szabo
  • NANFA Member
  • Marble Falls, AR

Posted 27 August 2014 - 11:55 AM

Are you sure you didn't misidentify those mushrooms?

#38 Michael Wolfe

Michael Wolfe
  • Board of Directors
  • North Georgia, Oconee River Drainage

Posted 27 August 2014 - 02:39 PM

Masterful! I want to believe.
Either write something worth reading or do something worth writing. - Benjamin Franklin

#39 Guest_FSsnorkeler_*

Guest_FSsnorkeler_*
  • Guests

Posted 28 August 2014 - 07:01 AM

I'm with Isaak, I think you ate the wrong mushrooms. I hope your enthusiasm for the fish and getting people acquainted with them continues. Your reports always make my day!

#40 Guest_Casper_*

Guest_Casper_*
  • Guests

Posted 01 September 2014 - 11:02 AM

Normal Park 8th Grade Science Class August 28 & 29

01-BusLoad.JPG

Busload, my first batch of 30 students, broken into 2 groups of 15 each. Water time was about an hour and a half which includes their thrashin and crashin about. Sometimes the students get all worked up getting into the water with the chilling cold water rush, mask and snorkel fitting, whoops and hollerings.
I only got one reasonable photo of the afternoon, as the students loaded into the bus for their return. After packing up gear i headed downstream to 411 planning for some other specie's photos. Blacktail and Striped Shiners, Conasauga Logperch and Blackbanded and potential Freckled Darters on the agenda. Upon entering the water my camera quickly leaked, a foggy white creeping into the LCD screen's edges. Oh no! My second occurance of leakage with my WG2. I laid the camera on the bank and worked the river up and downstream solo. After returning home i opened the 2 hatches, removed the battery and card and postioned a goosenecked light shining into the camera's opening, leaving the light on overnight. The heat from the light evaporated all the moisture. Better than rice i think. I studied the seals carefully with a magnifying glass. Nothing. Perhaps an eyelash or grain of sand had allowed weeping water into the camera.

02-Arrival.JPG

03-Amy.JPG

Next day, 36 students arrived, again splitting into 2 groups, this time of 18 each. Amy speaking of cautionary concerns.

04-Snorkelers.JPG

Into the water a portion of the 2nd group goes. They were much more focused and seemed to get the most out of the day's experience.

05-AbNormal.JPG

Now dried off, the Normal Park students posing in an abNormal fashion, their crazy shot. My last group for the year. Finishing my contracted season on a fine day with enthusiastic youngsters.

06-StillLife.JPG

After packing the gear into tubs and loading everything up into her truck Amy and i relaxed and arranged a summer stilllife. Fresh Pawpaws, Cardinal Flower ( rich velvety red ), Ironweed ( my intensly favorite purple ), Jewelweed ( orange flowered stinging nettle reliever and seed popper ) and the ever so soft lavender Joe Pye Weed.

07-Caterpillar.JPG

Caterpillar unknown. No touch.

08-AmyPawPaw.JPG

Amy had alerted me to ripening Pawpaws bringing me a few from her recent kayak trip downstream. Earlier after setting up the changing tents, we looked down on the ground between us and low and behold a Pawpaw lay. Looking overhead the leaves and branches ladened with green Pawpaws stretched into the sky.
Amy... "Way down yonder in the pawpaw patch, pickin' up pawpaws and put'n'em in the basket". Walking streamside this time of year can yield quite a few. What do they taste like? The leaves are distinct to see easily, so you tell me. They are North America's largest indigenous fruit, delicious and nutritious.
We took a cool shadowed walk and gathered a few summer mushrooms for Amy to take home, Tawny Milkcap cousin, Hygrophorides. As Amy departed into the water i returned for a late afternoon snorkel. A group of 6 students from Young Harris College were upstream snorkeling with their professor, Johnathan Davis, a long ago fellow Conasauga camper. The students were on tour of the region seining, snorkeling and camping along the way.

09-Logperch.JPG

Logperch, Mobile. Note the interesting split V type pattern in his center vertical bars.

10-Bronze.JPG

Bronze

11-Holiday.JPG

Holiday, super close with washed out color

12-Redeye.JPG

Coosa

13-Crayfish.JPG

Crayfish

14-Riffle.JPG

An uncommon sighting at the snorkel hole. Riffle Minnow. About 6 working downstream of me.

15-Grazing.JPG

Stonerollers grazing on the mottled algae stone.

16-Grazing2.JPG

Grazing herd

17-View2.JPG

Mirrored surface

18-View.JPG

Riverweed views

19-RiverRed.JPG

The blood red fins of a River Redhorse.

30-WreckedVan.JPG

The end of the season, and the next day the end of my van.

31-Trooper.JPG

Highway Patrol Trooper descending into the ravine. Hydraulic fluid, many 5 gallon buckets, had been spilled onto the road. I came around a rolling curve descending into a culverted ravine and hit the slippery fluid. Zero traction. Sliding off the road at high speed, the van rolled and nosed into a tree. Seatbelt, no blood. I knew my van was going to be totaled as i went over the edge. Wear your seatbelt.

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users