Mill Creek collecting trip

3 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_sandtiger_*

Guest_sandtiger_*
  • Guests

Posted 25 March 2007 - 10:34 PM

Went collecting in a local creek on Saturday. The air was cold, the water was very rapid and it was raining (with some thunder) but I was out there all the same, for about an hour. I have lots of access to this place but it's biodiversity is fairly low. I collect there more then any other creek and have only ever found 5 speices but lucky for me one of those species I just discovered yesturday. Here's my list of Saturdays catch.

Creek Chubs (Semotilus atromaculatus)
Blacknose Dace (Rhinichthys atratus)
Redside Dace (Clinostomus elongatus)
Two-lined Salamanders (Eurycea bislineata)

The redside dace were the first, I only found two but look forward to going back soon.

#2 Guest_Skipjack_*

Guest_Skipjack_*
  • Guests

Posted 25 March 2007 - 10:40 PM

Went collecting in a local creek on Saturday. The air was cold, the water was very rapid and it was raining (with some thunder) but I was out there all the same, for about an hour. I have lots of access to this place but it's biodiversity is fairly low. I collect there more then any other creek and have only ever found 5 speices but lucky for me one of those species I just discovered yesturday. Here's my list of Saturdays catch.

Creek Chubs (Semotilus atromaculatus)
Blacknose Dace (Rhinichthys atratus)
Redside Dace (Clinostomus elongatus)
Two-lined Salamanders (Eurycea bislineata)

The redside dace were the first, I only found two but look forward to going back soon.

Redside dace trump alot of other fish. Good find, keep them covered! and lots of salt for the first while.

#3 Guest_troutperch beeman_*

Guest_troutperch beeman_*
  • Guests

Posted 26 March 2007 - 08:41 AM

sandtiger,

Good catch!! We should get together sometime this year. After looking at The Inand Fisnes of New York it looks like there may be northern red belly dace in
Nine Mile Creek where it comes out of Otisco. Have you ever collected there? I'd like to try this year.

Herschel

#4 Guest_sandtiger_*

Guest_sandtiger_*
  • Guests

Posted 26 March 2007 - 10:19 PM

Redside dace trump alot of other fish. Good find, keep them covered! and lots of salt for the first while.

Yes, they do trump a lot of other fish. I have been looking for these guys for a couple years now and am very excited to find them. And since I found them then I can only assume there are other fish I haven't found yet. And to think all I thought we had in there was creek chubs, blacknose dace, golden shiners and white suckers.
The two I had kept were gone the next morning, they must have jumped an a cat ate them. The tank is covered but they must have found the few gaps in there, I'll have to cover it up better next time.

Troutperch. I have never collected at Nine Mile, never even heard of it. We definantly should do a collecting trip together. Would love to find NRBD, I have never even seen one before.

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users