Ideal container pond fish

9 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_Joshaeus_*

Guest_Joshaeus_*
  • Guests

Posted 27 May 2014 - 05:12 PM

Well, are there any? I was considering keeping a forty gallon container pond (I.E a water trough, 40" by 27" by 12" round) outdoors from about April to October, during which the average water temperature would probably vary from the forties to the seventies. The pond could have a solar aeration device, but I'm not expecting to keep dedicated riverine fish in there! The pond will be in partial shade to ensure that its temperature does not fly off the handle during summer, and will be heavily planted.

#2 Guest_Skipjack_*

Guest_Skipjack_*
  • Guests

Posted 27 May 2014 - 05:20 PM

https://www.google.c...ox-a&channel=sb

Rubbermaid stock tanks will last at least 17 years, as I still water cattle out of one 17 years old. They are black, and of course will absorb more heat than something lighter colored. I am not sure that there is anything of comparable quality in a light color.

#3 Guest_Joshaeus_*

Guest_Joshaeus_*
  • Guests

Posted 27 May 2014 - 05:32 PM

I was expecting only ten years...that's encouraging! :)

Anyhow, I was primarily considering either small sunfish (specifically orange spots or maybe dollars, depending on whether or not the latter would kill each other in a container this size) or shiners. Do either of those sound viable? I am hoping to try to breed the fish while they are in the container pond.

#4 Guest_Skipjack_*

Guest_Skipjack_*
  • Guests

Posted 27 May 2014 - 05:59 PM

I have not tried either of those sunfish in tubs, so my knowledge is limited. The O spots will be no problem, but I have never kept dollars, and hear they are pretty rough. Shiners, no problem, but some may need triggers like chub nests. Also you may be getting a bit late in the year to spawn shiners unless you put this project on the fast track. Beyond that I will be of little help. Good luck.

#5 Guest_Joshaeus_*

Guest_Joshaeus_*
  • Guests

Posted 27 May 2014 - 06:10 PM

No worries...this is a project I will be starting next year, as it is too late in the year to really benefit from the pond now (its prime purpose is to make the occupants more colorful, with spawning being second priority). Do you think that the solar operated pump would be mandatory for this pond? I'm still planning on using it if I go with sunfish, shiners, or most other NA fish, but I just want to know in case, say, there's an unusually cloudy day and the pump does not work.

#6 Michael Wolfe

Michael Wolfe
  • Board of Directors
  • North Georgia, Oconee River Drainage

Posted 27 May 2014 - 06:23 PM

I have not tried either of those sunfish in tubs, so my knowledge is limited. The O spots will be no problem, but I have never kept dollars, and hear they are pretty rough. Shiners, no problem, but some may need triggers like chub nests. Also you may be getting a bit late in the year to spawn shiners unless you put this project on the fast track. Beyond that I will be of little help. Good luck.

My Cyprinella leedsi bred in a outdoor tub. Agree that some Notropis would not be as likely to breed. But Cyprinella just need food and a crevice.

And no the pump is not mandatory. I have lots of plants but no pump on my three outdoor tanks.
Either write something worth reading or do something worth writing. - Benjamin Franklin

#7 Guest_Joshaeus_*

Guest_Joshaeus_*
  • Guests

Posted 27 May 2014 - 06:43 PM

My Cyprinella leedsi bred in a outdoor tub. Agree that some Notropis would not be as likely to breed. But Cyprinella just need food and a crevice.

And no the pump is not mandatory. I have lots of plants but no pump on my three outdoor tanks.

Oh, good...calling cloudy days 'unusual' is a bit of a misnomer around here :) By the way, how do you convince Notropis to breed? (Notropis are rainbow shiners and their kin, right? The shiners that look like they came out a Las Vegas sign?)

#8 Michael Wolfe

Michael Wolfe
  • Board of Directors
  • North Georgia, Oconee River Drainage

Posted 27 May 2014 - 07:06 PM

I have not bred any Notropis. And not all are as bright as some others. It is a large genus.
Either write something worth reading or do something worth writing. - Benjamin Franklin

#9 Guest_gerald_*

Guest_gerald_*
  • Guests

Posted 28 May 2014 - 09:37 AM

For gravel-spawning shiners like rainbow, you will probably need some current to keep the eggs from suffocating. Plant-spawning shiners from lentic habitats might do better breeding in a tub without any water movement. Or Cyprinellas, as MW suggested. Or Enneacanthus sunfishes, mudminnows, golden-ear killifish, bluefin killies, ... ???

#10 Guest_Joshaeus_*

Guest_Joshaeus_*
  • Guests

Posted 28 May 2014 - 10:38 AM

Any fish that would NOT be a good idea in a container pond, aside from ones too large to be comfortable in it?

Reply to this topic

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users