QT Concern, quick responses appreciated

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 Sean Phillips

Sean Phillips
  • NANFA Member
  • Allegheny River Drainage, Southwest PA

Posted 30 June 2014 - 03:10 PM

I've currently got a 4" yellow bullhead in quarantine in a 14 gallon Rubbermaid tub. He's been in it for almost a week and although he hasn't done it for the past few nights he would at first splash around all night. I'm curious to whether or not he'd harass a 2.5-3.5" male green sunfish if I added it into the bin with him after being by himself for a while. I'm asking because I'm looking to add a male green sunfish into my 30 long with my female green and I'd like to quarantine one fairly soon. I'm also going to my local lake tonight to fish ahich has tons if greens in it and it's going to storm badly for the next few days. So do you guys think the bullhead or the sunfish would harass the other fish or would they be fine together until I can move the bullhead out?
Sean Phillips - Pine Creek Watershed - Allegheny River Drainage

#2 Guest_Sunfish catcher 321_*

Guest_Sunfish catcher 321_*
  • Guests

Posted 30 June 2014 - 03:35 PM

I think the bullhead might not eat it for awhile. You could get a divider by seeing if the lid will fit in with drilled hopes.

#3 Sean Phillips

Sean Phillips
  • NANFA Member

Posted 30 June 2014 - 03:39 PM

I was more concerned about aggression issues at night when the catfish is active and the sunfish isn't than it getting eating.

#4 Guest_Sunfish catcher 321_*

• Guests

Posted 30 June 2014 - 03:50 PM

My expirence is if catfish can not eat it they will leave it alone.

#5 Guest_gerald_*

Guest_gerald_*
  • Guests

Posted 30 June 2014 - 08:25 PM

Agree with SC321 - bullheads are not really aggressive in a territorial sense (unless guarding a nest). If the sunnie is too big to swallow then the bullhead probably wont bother it. (no promises though).

#6 Sean Phillips

Sean Phillips
  • NANFA Member

Posted 30 June 2014 - 08:31 PM

Thanks for the responses! I think I'm just going to wait until after vacation to get the sunfish though, don't want the person who will be caring for my tanks to have to give me daily updates on the fish's health. Especially since it's in a bin on the floor.

Edited by Everything Fish, 30 June 2014 - 08:33 PM.

#7 Guest_Skipjack_*

Guest_Skipjack_*
  • Guests

Posted 30 June 2014 - 08:57 PM

Agree. Catfish aren't very aggressive, but will eat whatever fits, and is slow enough.

#8 Guest_Sunfish catcher 321_*

• Guests

Posted 30 June 2014 - 09:05 PM

Learner that the hard way

#9 Guest_mikez_*

Guest_mikez_*
  • Guests

Posted 01 July 2014 - 06:35 AM

I disagree. You should get one of those red lights they sell for nocturnal critters and watch your fish try to sleep at night with a bullhead prowling around. They pace all night brushing up against and tasting everything. If their barbels brush something that taste like food, they whirl and try to bite it - without knowing how big it is. You can watch your fish try to sleep while being driven from end to end all night long by a hungry 'pout. Don't get me wrong, I love my own yellow bullhead, also about 4" long, but he only shares a tank with turtles. And there he plays a key rule in the breakdown of large solid waste. That's why his name is "Headworks" [it's a wastewater phrase]. Anyone ever study corprophagy in bullheads? Sure is a great way to quickly breakdown turtle waste, notorious for leftover undigested nutrients. Please forgive spelling and editing, too hurried, this edit toggle stymyied me again.

#10 Guest_gerald_*

Guest_gerald_*
  • Guests

Posted 01 July 2014 - 10:39 AM

Yes that's true bullheads are on the prowl all night long - watch out for dark bags under the sunnie's eyes from lack of sleep. I don't think the cat will keep trying to bite the sunnie after he learns he cant eat it, but frequent disturbance through the night might be stressful on the sunnie. Feeding the cat a big meal at night might help.

#11 Guest_mikez_*

Guest_mikez_*
  • Guests

Posted 01 July 2014 - 02:24 PM

I should have said, I don't have any proof the stress of sleepless nights will hurt fish. I made that leap after doing what I suggested - put a red nite lite over a community tank with a bullhead. I watched my fish get driven from end to end, including pumpkinseed sunfish that would chase the bullhead by day. It just looked like a very stressful environment. I gave up keeping bullheads with other fish, even though I really like them. I always seem to have one in some sort of tank, hence the turtle tank. I discovered the clean up aspect b accident. Like to claim I planned it cause it works so well.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users