Photo

SCUBA Diving in Strawberry Quarry (June 2014)

3 replies to this topic

#1 Sean Phillips

Sean Phillips
  • NANFA Member
  • Allegheny River Drainage, Southwest PA

Posted 30 June 2014 - 09:28 PM

Sorry it's been so long since I've done a diving report but I'm back at last :). I've been diving three times this year so far but I finally got my own camera in time for the most recent trip (arrived the day before!). Got a Sealife DC1400 which oddly had t a good bit of bad reviews but my dive buddy recommended it and I couldn't be happier.

I'll just be covering my most recent trip in this post.

This trip was to my local quarry two weeks ago, the weather was perfect. Sunny and warm but not to humid. Went on two dives that day, they were both about 50 minutes. For the first dive I entered in the center of the quarry and dove there and the left side for the second it was the middle and the right side. Visibility was great and ranged from 15-25 feet. The fish life was plentiful but I only observed three of the species that are present at the site. I did the weekend before discover that the quarry also has pumpkinseeds and brown bullheads in it which no other divers had noticed before (I'm the only one that can see a sunfish and won't call it a bluegill :rolleyes: ).

Anyway even though I only saw a few different species there was a ton of fish to make up for the lack of variety that weekend. Saw about 200 bass, 200 Bluegills, and 1 Black Crappie plus a few different types of small minnows.

The Bluegill were also spawning in full force that weekend and I was able to get plenty of good pictures and even a nice video of them on theirr nests!
Here's the video link: https://www.youtube....h?v=_XTvpebMELE

In addition to the "friendly" AKA trying to kill me spawning bluegill I was lucky enough to stumble upon an LMB with an incredibly large school of fry.
Here's the video, it starts with a few but then it's mainly open water with my dive buddies, the LMB school is towards the end but it's worth watching to see the end!: https://www.youtube....h?v=-e4h06OiibY

I also saw a pretty large black crappie in a brush pile by the LMB school which I had a video of but it got corrupted somehow so I couldn't get it onto my computer.

It was a great weekend of diving and keep an eye out for more dive reports since I'm going on a big dive trip this weekend to an awesome quarry with tons of fish life. I'm also hoping to get a few nice pictures and videos while snorkeling next time I go to Erie if it has good enough visibility.Diving at Strawberry 6 14 14 014.JPG Diving at Strawberry 6 14 14 020.JPG Diving at Strawberry 6 14 14 026.JPG Diving at Strawberry 6 14 14 031.JPG Diving at Strawberry 6 14 14 044.JPG

Edited by Everything Fish, 30 June 2014 - 09:29 PM.

Sean Phillips - Pine Creek Watershed - Allegheny River Drainage

#2 Guest_FirstChAoS_*

Guest_FirstChAoS_*
  • Guests

Posted 01 July 2014 - 11:45 AM

those are great photos, good job on them. I need to get my sea life camera ready again but I have been lazy on it.

#3 Sean Phillips

Sean Phillips
  • NANFA Member
  • Allegheny River Drainage, Southwest PA

Posted 01 July 2014 - 08:06 PM

Thanks man! More coming after this weekend's trip, biggest one of the year!
Sean Phillips - Pine Creek Watershed - Allegheny River Drainage

#4 Isaac Szabo

Isaac Szabo
  • NANFA Member
  • Marble Falls, AR

Posted 01 July 2014 - 11:04 PM

Cool stuff. Looks like you had a good time. Thanks for sharing.

Reply to this topic

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users