Couple more ID's, from last day of trip

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_FishyJackson_*

Guest_FishyJackson_*
  • Guests

Posted 02 July 2014 - 03:51 PM

Both in Sarasota Bay

I thought this was a baby Red Grouper at first but I don't think it is, any ideas?

Attached File  20140702_073631.jpg   56.92KB   4 downloads

I have a 2nd fish to attached but every pic it says is too big upload, is there something I can do to get this to post?

#2 Michael Wolfe

Michael Wolfe
  • Board of Directors
  • North Georgia, Oconee River Drainage

Posted 02 July 2014 - 05:56 PM

Guests have a limitation in file uploads. So one way to solve some of this is to join NANFA. That would give you access to the Gallery Archive where you can upload full size files.

The other thing is to simply crop your files better... I would guess that only 12% of the above photo is actual fish... the rest is unneeded hands and background.

Last thing is that the forum auto scales down all the pictures anyway in the display. So again, cropping is a good idea... you are auto cropped down to 800 pixels wide I think... look how many of those you are wasting with dock and hands.
Either write something worth reading or do something worth writing. - Benjamin Franklin

#3 Guest_FishyJackson_*

Guest_FishyJackson_*
  • Guests

Posted 02 July 2014 - 06:52 PM

thanks Michael Wolfe, I should have thought of that, I'll make sure to crop going forward since I always need help identifying these fish

the other fish... i was certain I was catching Scaled Sardines, but after checking the pic I dont see the spot behind the gills that they have. Is this actually a small spanish sardine?

Attached File  cropped sardine.jpg   293.92KB   0 downloads

#4 Guest_mzokan_*

Guest_mzokan_*
  • Guests

Posted 02 July 2014 - 09:07 PM

yup, it's a red grouper, cute little guy too

I would go with scaled sardine on the second one, spanish are less deep bodied, have a smaller eye, and are rounder in cross-section (less flat)

Marcus

#5 Guest_FishyJackson_*

Guest_FishyJackson_*
  • Guests

Posted 03 July 2014 - 12:12 PM

thanks mzokan, the orange/yellow on the fin of the Grouper threw me off, but I couldn't think of a real alternative Grouper it could be.

Scaled Sardine it is...perhaps the black spot by the gills is not always present when they are that small

Edited by FishyJackson, 03 July 2014 - 12:13 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users