HELP WITH SRBD

• Please log in to reply
22 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_hotshot_*

Guest_hotshot_*
  • Guests

Posted 06 July 2014 - 09:40 PM

I have many native fish, red side dace, rosy face shiner, black nose dace, sand shiner, spot fin shiner, just to name a few. and I never had any trouble with fry or adults, until the southern red belly, I went 0ut this past spring and collected four, in full color.I keep them in a 20 gallon long aquarium. every thing went fine for three mouths, then they just stop eating, one by one and die. I have two left. I do have some fry that I keep and they are fine. my water is good, can some one help ! Hotshot

#2 Guest_Skipjack_*

Guest_Skipjack_*
  • Guests

Posted 06 July 2014 - 09:59 PM

It may just be their time. If you selected fish by color, you may have chosen older specimens.

Otherwise the general consensus seems to be that Chrosomus need a somewhat significant vegetarian component to their omnivorous diet. Could that be a factor?

#3 Guest_BenCantrell_*

Guest_BenCantrell_*
  • Guests

Posted 07 July 2014 - 07:19 AM

Why do you say the water is good? What did you measure to conclude that?

What are you feeding them? Flakes? Bloodworms?

Are they the only fish in the 20 long? Maybe they're stressed because their school is too small for them to feel safe.

Matt, I've had SRBD in tanks with no vegetation for several years without problems, so I don't see that affecting them in three months.

#4 Guest_Skipjack_*

Guest_Skipjack_*
  • Guests

Posted 07 July 2014 - 07:51 AM

Ben, not saying they need vegetation, saying that they are known to need a partial vegetarian diet. Typically if you are feeding a fair bit of flake food, they are getting an adequate amount of vegetable matter.

#5 Guest_Yeahson421_*

Guest_Yeahson421_*
  • Guests

Posted 07 July 2014 - 12:21 PM

Matt has a great point. Until I added spirulina to my daces' diet, they never looked too healthy, but once they got that vegetative need filled, they began doing very well.

#6 Guest_NotCousteau_*

Guest_NotCousteau_*
  • Guests

Posted 07 July 2014 - 12:24 PM

My dace go crazy for boiled spinach and peas.

#7 Guest_hotshot_*

Guest_hotshot_*
  • Guests

Posted 08 July 2014 - 09:47 PM

Yes Skipjack, I took the best colored ones I could find. I have them on flake food, and you may be right the two that died were good size, older fish, I may try the spinach. Hot Shot

#8 Guest_hotshot_*

Guest_hotshot_*
  • Guests

Posted 10 July 2014 - 08:48 PM

I went out and bought some omega one veggie flakes, thanks for the help Hot Shot

#9 Guest_Skipjack_*

Guest_Skipjack_*
  • Guests

Posted 10 July 2014 - 09:06 PM

I would not trust me too much here. I suspect by taking the nicest looking larger fish, you are also getting older fish. Cuts your lifespan. I raised them for years on flake, veggie flakes, and bloodworms. Plus some live food, daphnia, and whiteworms, but really don't think those were needed, but added diversity. At the time I really did not know that Veg. matter was important to them, as I find them in creeks with nothing but rocks. But I have heard from others that it is important, and I am sure every rock in those streams had a fair bit of algae covering it. If all else was well, I think you just had some older fish. Adding some more vegetable matter to their diets can only help.

#10 Guest_BenCantrell_*

Guest_BenCantrell_*
  • Guests

Posted 10 July 2014 - 09:42 PM

All of the discussion has been about food. :blink: Can the OP say what he means by the water is good? Fish stop eating when they're stressed. They don't die for lack of food, they die because something is messed up. The reason I ask is because I have a school of SRBD in my aquarium that are 5 years old. A few months ago I did a 10% water change with city water (I let it sit out in a bucket for 24 hours first), and within 15 minutes of doing the water change over a third of the fish in my aquarium died. I still don't know what was in the water that caused it. I only swapped 10%! So my point is, are you saying the water is good because you haven't done anything different than what worked in the past or because you actually checked for things like nitrates or chlorine and are sure nothing is wrong?

#11 Guest_Skipjack_*

Guest_Skipjack_*
  • Guests

Posted 10 July 2014 - 09:46 PM

Ben, has your municipality changed from chlorine to chloramine?

#12 Guest_Skipjack_*

Guest_Skipjack_*
  • Guests

Posted 10 July 2014 - 09:48 PM

Old fish stop eating and die.

#13 Guest_BenCantrell_*

Guest_BenCantrell_*
  • Guests

Posted 11 July 2014 - 08:29 AM

Old fish stop eating and die.

Yeah but the odds that the healthy fish you just netted in the wild are 3 months out from dying of old age are pretty darn slim.

#14 Guest_fundulus_*

Guest_fundulus_*
  • Guests

Posted 11 July 2014 - 08:58 AM

You'd be surprised, shiner type fishes tend to hit an age wall and drop quickly which is why it's a good idea to only keep juveniles for an aquarium.

#15 littlen

littlen
  • NANFA Member
  • Washington, D.C.

Posted 11 July 2014 - 10:34 AM

I have to third, or fourth the motion of "water is good". There are way too many factors that could be in play concerning WQ that leads to rapid fish decline. I think the age of the fish plays a roll in all of this too--but likely in addition to some water issues.

Hotshot, please provide us with more information about your water. Do you test it/how often? How often do you do water changes? Do you treat the new water with a conditioner/dechlorinator? What temperature do you keep them at/has the temperature remained constant? Are you sure there are no signs of disease?
Nick L.

#16 Guest_hotshot_*

Guest_hotshot_*
  • Guests

Posted 12 July 2014 - 09:38 PM

I use API test kits, ammonia 0 nitrite 0 nitrate 20 ppm, I test every other week. I use stress coat, and salt one tablespoon to five gallons of water. I keep my fish in the basement, water temperature stays at 68 degrees in the summer them goes back in the fifties in the winter. I change 25% of the water in my two 20 gallons every week, and every other week in my 80 gallon. I also have a 10 gallon for a hospital tank. Hot Shot

#17 Guest_Skipjack_*

Guest_Skipjack_*
  • Guests

Posted 12 July 2014 - 09:55 PM

Not doing anything wrong there. Really, it is easy to collect older fish because they look good, then they have little time left. You only lost 2 fish right?

#18 Guest_hotshot_*

Guest_hotshot_*
  • Guests

Posted 13 July 2014 - 08:55 PM

Only two, the other two are doing fine. Its hard to pass up the ones with all the color, I guess I will just have to take the smaller fish !

#19 Guest_cjohns_*

Guest_cjohns_*
  • Guests

Posted 18 July 2014 - 05:13 PM

So all of this talk about vegetation and vegetables has me wondering. This might be a stupid question but the next time I cook peas (sweet peas) would it hurt anything to drop a couple in, or would the preservatives and sugar be a dead sentence for my SRBD?

#20 Guest_hotshot_*

Guest_hotshot_*
  • Guests

Posted 19 July 2014 - 12:47 PM

I don't know, but when I started giving my red belly omega veggie flakes, about two weeks ago. they started coloring up right away.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users