Little River Canyon

6 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_Casper_*

Guest_Casper_*
  • Guests

Posted 07 July 2014 - 04:30 PM

July 5 Little River Canyon

I talked the family into a picnic drive south to Alabama, near the former North American sock capital of Ft. Payne. I have been here several times, the last a couple years ago in mid summer when the water was way low, creating filtered pools with stunning visibility. Today the water willow read a high water mark from recent summer rains. The park was full of people too adding to the turbidity but i found a few spots of refuge allbeit downstream. Most of these fish are what i see in the Conasauga, counting 19 species for the day plus those mystery shiners that i will no longer rack my brain over. I will leave those to the photo tankers and ray counters.

Stonerollers.
Shiners: Blue, Alabama, & Many Mysteries. No Tricolors seen?
Suckers: Hogsuckers, Redhorse.
Channel Catfish.
Southern Studfish.
Sunfish: Redbreast, Bluegill, Green, Crappie, Bass, SM Bass.
Darters: Logperch, Bronze, Blackbanded, Greenbreast, Speckled.
Drum.

I did not do much rock flipping and the visibility was only 3' in most places so i hope to return again with crystal clarity. The canyon is quite beautiful and upstream is De Soto Falls and above it is one of the longest mountaintop rivers in North American, running a length of the Cumberland Plateau. Just downstream of today's location is Weiss Lake / reservoir.

00-Collage6.jpg

A collage of the days views.

Backwater Run Underwater Sculpture Backwater Pool Redbreast Nest Cerulean Blue Mystery Light

02-SnakeCC.jpg

One of the first sights. I am tempted to grab the tip of their tail sometime, but yet to do so. That braveBass was watching for something to get flushed out!

03-Logperchs.JPG

So how many can you count? There were even more. Though generally the substrate is big bouldered and silty Logperch were very, very common throughout my snorkel day. I turned over a rock and here they came.

04-Bronze.JPG

Launch and glide. Proud Bronze.

05-Blue.JPG

Blue Shiner, many were in color. The family got to see them at their feet shining blue in the afternoon sunlight.

06-RedhorseCC.jpg

Redhorse of some kind. The black edge on the back of their dorsal fin, perhaps that is an identity marker?

07-Logperch.JPG

Busy Logperch, Mobile. They all seemed to have flashes of red in their dorsal fins. How far south can a Conasauga Logperch make it?

A good day, drove back through Collinsville and looked at the Rainbow Shiner stream. All globby with algae and freshcut grass. I have snorkeled in worse though.

#2 Guest_gerald_*

Guest_gerald_*
  • Guests

Posted 07 July 2014 - 05:22 PM

Gotta play this while looking at those pix, Pierce Pettis' "Little River Canyon" :
There's ~ 45 seconds of Bach intro before his song starts. Your snake is featured in the first line.

#3 Guest_Casper_*

Guest_Casper_*
  • Guests

Posted 07 July 2014 - 06:17 PM

Interesting. How did you come upon this, the magic of the innerwebnet i suspect. Image inducing lyrics, but ultimately too sad.
I shot a lot of video Saturday and was thinking of the Little River Band and Alabama for background soundtrack music. I still have to see how the videos turned out. Got some crazy blue tubers, myself human surfing down the rapids ( i'm too old for that! ), and a fierce Redbreast.

#4 Guest_steve_*

Guest_steve_*
  • Guests

Posted 08 July 2014 - 12:05 AM

As always Casper, your written accounts paint such good mental visuals that they are as enjoyable as the pictures themselves. Thanks for sharing.

#5 Isaac Szabo

Isaac Szabo
  • NANFA Member
  • Marble Falls, AR

Posted 08 July 2014 - 01:17 AM

I like that shot of the watersnake and bass, and that's a nice-looking blue shiner. A lot of these images would benefit from a correct white balance.

#6 Guest_Casper_*

Guest_Casper_*
  • Guests

Posted 09 July 2014 - 02:14 AM

I was playing around with the white balance. Switching back and forth, to and away. It was mostly a family trip and a bit of 5th of July fun.
Tomorrow i will be careful with WB.

#7 Isaac Szabo

Isaac Szabo
  • NANFA Member
  • Marble Falls, AR

Posted 08 July 2014 - 09:55 PM

No big deal - it was just a helpful tip, and you're certainly not obligated to follow it. Good luck for tomorrow!

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users