• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_CMStewart_*

Guest_CMStewart_*
  • Guests

Posted 10 July 2014 - 08:31 AM

Attached File  alans-mystery-fish.jpg   12.56KB   9 downloads

Caught last weekend in the Osage Fork of the Gasconade River near Lebanon, MO

My first thought was Emerald or Carmine shiner. Unfortunately, this is the only photo I have.

#2 Guest_gerald_*

Guest_gerald_*
  • Guests

Posted 10 July 2014 - 09:06 AM

It's a shiner. Cant see enough detail.to say much more than that. Keep a photo tank with you, or even a ziplock bag will do better than a hand pic.

#3 Guest_CMStewart_*

Guest_CMStewart_*
  • Guests

Posted 10 July 2014 - 06:29 PM

I'm running a contest on my website - most species caught on a particular type of fly (Black Killer Bugger). This was one of the submissions. You are absolutely right about the photo tank but I have to work with what I've got. The guy that submitted it has a photo tank but had planned a trout fishing trip so didn't bring it. Micros were an afterthought. Obviously needs to work on his priorities ;-).

The ID he submitted with the photo was common shiner, which didn't look right to me. Hence my request.

#4 Guest_Skipjack_*

Guest_Skipjack_*
  • Guests

Posted 10 July 2014 - 07:46 PM

Even with my average or below ID skills, I can promise that that is not a common shiner like he submitted. It appears to be a Notropis. Beyond that? I think you will have a tough time getting that fish down to species, however it seems that you are on the right track.

#5 Guest_fundulus_*

Guest_fundulus_*
  • Guests

Posted 10 July 2014 - 09:09 PM

It's possibly a telescope shiner, although any lateral stitching is not apparent.

#6 Guest_natureman187_*

Guest_natureman187_*
  • Guests

Posted 11 July 2014 - 12:01 PM

Looks like a Wedgespot Shiner (Notropis greenei)

#7 Guest_CMStewart_*

Guest_CMStewart_*
  • Guests

Posted 16 July 2014 - 09:54 AM

It's a little out of the range given in Peterson for a telescope shiner. I'll go with wedgespot for the ID in the contest. If another contestant wants to challenge it, they can but I don't think anyone will.

A big thanks to everyone.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users