Silver with pink

• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_shaft6977_*

Guest_shaft6977_*
  • Guests

Posted 13 July 2014 - 02:25 PM

We're out on a sampling trip and we're catching a ton of some sort of silvery fish with a faint pink coloration towards the top of it along the back. I'm new to this, does anyone know offhand what that would be? We're on Sugar Creek in west central Indiana.

#2 Guest_Skipjack_*

Guest_Skipjack_*
  • Guests

Posted 13 July 2014 - 02:33 PM

Pretty vague. Have any photos?

#3 Guest_shaft6977_*

Guest_shaft6977_*
  • Guests

Posted 13 July 2014 - 02:46 PM

I'm on my phone. I'll have to try it when I get back home.

#4 Guest_Yeahson421_*

Guest_Yeahson421_*
  • Guests

Posted 13 July 2014 - 02:48 PM

My best guess would be Redside Dace.

#5 Guest_Skipjack_*

Guest_Skipjack_*
  • Guests

Posted 13 July 2014 - 03:03 PM

Redside has red below the lateral line. I think one persons idea of pink may be different than others. So a decent picture is needed. Otherwise you will only get speculation. If you provide a good photo in a photo tank, one of the experts here will most likely ID it for you. Photo in hand is not that useful usually.

#6 Guest_shaft6977_*

Guest_shaft6977_*
  • Guests

Posted 13 July 2014 - 03:34 PM

How I missed the marking on the dorsal fin is beyond me. Most of these are spotfin shiners.

#7 Michael Wolfe

Michael Wolfe
  • Board of Directors
  • North Georgia, Oconee River Drainage

Posted 13 July 2014 - 04:52 PM

you mean Cyprinella spiloptera?
Either write something worth reading or do something worth writing. - Benjamin Franklin

#8 Guest_Skipjack_*

Guest_Skipjack_*
  • Guests

Posted 13 July 2014 - 05:23 PM

Not sure of the pink on spiloptera. I will have to look for it.

#9 Guest_shaft6977_*

Guest_shaft6977_*
  • Guests

Posted 13 July 2014 - 06:57 PM

It was super faint, but it was there. I brought some of them home once I figured out what they were and the pink color doesn't seem near as prominent on most of them as it was when I was at the crick. The biggest one still shows some pink though. And yes, they're definitely Cyprinella spiloptera from what I can tell.

#10 Guest_shaft6977_*

Guest_shaft6977_*
  • Guests

Posted 13 July 2014 - 07:11 PM

Could it be stress that brought it out? They're doing really well in the tank it appears. Already fed them and they all went right after the flakes.

#11 Michael Wolfe

Michael Wolfe
  • Board of Directors
  • North Georgia, Oconee River Drainage

Posted 13 July 2014 - 07:42 PM

Here is a C. venusta that has a sort of pinkish cast across the top... more from reflection I think than actual pigment... but it is there. I'm not saying your wrong about the spotfin, I am saying that I see how Cyprinalla may have a pinkish color.

Posted Image
Either write something worth reading or do something worth writing. - Benjamin Franklin

#12 Guest_Skipjack_*

Guest_Skipjack_*
  • Guests

Posted 13 July 2014 - 07:44 PM

It is a very common shiner in your neck of the woods. Easily confused with steelcolor shiners. But steelcolors seem to be less common in most areas, at least in Ohio.

#13 Guest_shaft6977_*

Guest_shaft6977_*
  • Guests

Posted 13 July 2014 - 08:06 PM

I think the pink reflection as opposed to pigment is a more accurate way of describing it. Just kinda caught me off guard when I had them in my hand down at the crick because I hadn't ever read about or seen any pictures with the pinkish hue. But now that they're in the tank, the LED light doesn't seem to be bringing it out near as much as the sunlight did.

#14 Guest_keepnatives_*

Guest_keepnatives_*
  • Guests

Posted 13 July 2014 - 08:28 PM

I've had spot fins and they frequently reflected pink as well as other colors as they flashed around the tank. Just one of the
reasons I liked them so much.

#15 Guest_shaft6977_*

Guest_shaft6977_*
  • Guests

Posted 13 July 2014 - 10:54 PM

They seem to be very active and extremely inquisitive. What a neat fish and an awesome introduction into this hobby.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users