Ctenogobius shufeldti & Microgobius gulosus

• Please log in to reply
31 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_mikev_*

Guest_mikev_*
  • Guests

Posted 16 July 2014 - 11:54 AM

(I hope this is the right category)

Per chance, does anyone have any information on the species? Specifically, whether it is possible to breed them in aquaria.

(I keep and bred several rhinogobius species -- reasonably closely related Asian fish -- and it would be very interesting to try a native species, if I can breed them too).

Thank you!

#2 Guest_mzokan_*

Guest_mzokan_*
  • Guests

Posted 17 July 2014 - 03:51 PM

I don't know about breeding them, but they do have planktonic larvae, that may remain so for a month or two before they settle. Although the adults can live in freshwater, I am not certain that the larvae can remain in freshwater or whether they need brackish conditions during development

#3 Guest_mikev_*

Guest_mikev_*
  • Guests

Posted 17 July 2014 - 05:07 PM

Thanks,,,,, this was exactly the concern, all too common with gobies.... I was hoping someone experimented with them and perhaps figured out the techniques

#4 Guest_mzokan_*

Guest_mzokan_*
  • Guests

Posted 18 July 2014 - 10:15 AM

Clown Goby (Microgobius gulosus) may be worth a try. They are more attractive, exhibit nesting behavior, and have a fully freshwater population (Lake Okeechobee, FL). Check the link here on their reproduction: http://link.springer...4-6193-y#page-1

Marcus

#5 Guest_mikev_*

Guest_mikev_*
  • Guests

Posted 18 July 2014 - 11:53 AM

Hmm.... indeed sounds very interesting. I never heard of them (but then I know really little about native species.... darters/lucania/sleeper and now sunfish -- never an American goby).

Per chance : do you know where one can find them? (short of going to FL myself....)

#6 Guest_mzokan_*

Guest_mzokan_*
  • Guests

Posted 18 July 2014 - 01:48 PM

I've never seen them for sale, so a collecting trip is your best option. They can be pretty common in the right habitat. A friend of mine has seen them in shipments of feeder size shrimp before.

#7 Guest_mikev_*

Guest_mikev_*
  • Guests

Posted 20 July 2014 - 11:41 AM

Thanks Marcus, I'm asking everyone I know down there....

Actually per fishbase clown gobies are found from TX to MD.... but I guess most are not fully freshwater...

#8 Guest_Skipjack_*

Guest_Skipjack_*
  • Guests

Posted 20 July 2014 - 12:51 PM

If you actually join NANFA, a new section of the forum will open up to you. The "Trading Dock" You can make requests for fish there. Maybe one of our Florida members has easy access to them, and wouldn't mind shipping a few to you.

#9 Guest_mikev_*

Guest_mikev_*
  • Guests

Posted 20 July 2014 - 05:40 PM

Hmmm,,,, this sounds like a great idea so I did join and paid just now. The board, however, still shows me as a guest. Perhaps something else needs to be done to make the forum realize that the account was upgraded?

Thanks

#10 Guest_Skipjack_*

Guest_Skipjack_*
  • Guests

Posted 20 July 2014 - 06:04 PM

No worries. It is not automated. The payment goes to our treasurer then Michael Wolfe gets notified and changes your status. It typically takes a couple days. So there is no malfunction whatsoever. Thanks in advance for your patience.

Great! Thanks for your support and welcome. Please take some time and read about NANFA on the website. http://nanfa.org/ And keep your eye open to info on our annual convention, held in various states across the country(mostly in the east), and be sure to talk with your regional rep. Eastern New York, would be Mike Lucas. I don't much like the guy myself, but he can be somewhat helpful. Keepnatives is his forum handle. http://forum.nanfa.o...20-keepnatives/

Sorry Mike, had to do it considering all the grief I get from Blaylock. :biggrin:

Really, you won't find a better guy than Mike Lucas.

#11 Guest_mikev_*

Guest_mikev_*
  • Guests

Posted 20 July 2014 - 06:13 PM

LMAO.... I like your style. (I run a fish forum myself for years.... but I'm not brave enough to make jokes like this.)

Are you saying I cannot have the gobies today? :( :( :(

Never mind.... :P

OFT: Someone may want to spellcheck this automated message:

Thank you for your interest in NANFA. NANFA has recieved your online payment request (e.g. membership, donation, registration fees) and Paypal has indicated that the online payment has been sucessfully recieved.

#12 Guest_Skipjack_*

Guest_Skipjack_*
  • Guests

Posted 20 July 2014 - 06:19 PM

Wow that is pretty bad! Thanks for pointing that out.

#13 Guest_Skipjack_*

Guest_Skipjack_*
  • Guests

Posted 20 July 2014 - 06:22 PM

Yeah, I am pretty bad. Sometimes the moderators have to moderate the admin(me).

#14 Michael Wolfe

Michael Wolfe
  • Board of Directors
  • North Georgia, Oconee River Drainage

Posted 20 July 2014 - 07:40 PM

Mikev, send me an email or a PM with a pdf of your paypal receipt or something and I can make an exception and get you activated this evening (afterwhich I am sure that your fish will arrive tomorrow before the close of business).
Either write something worth reading or do something worth writing. - Benjamin Franklin

#15 Guest_mikev_*

Guest_mikev_*
  • Guests

Posted 20 July 2014 - 10:24 PM

Thank Michael, sent via PM.

No rush really, I was only kiddin'.... whenever you got time

#16 Guest_gerald_*

Guest_gerald_*
  • Guests

Posted 21 July 2014 - 10:37 AM

Back to the clown gobies, has anybody investigated whether the larvae remain in the lake and successfully transform in fresh water? It might be that the Lake Okeechobee "population" is dependent on new recruits from coastal waters coming up the canals, as several other marine fishes in that lake do. I suppose you could transfer half the fry born in freshwater to brackish water and see what happens in fresh vs brackish. Survival might have as much (or more) to do with the available plankton species (and their nutritional value) as with salinity's direct effect on the larvae.

#17 Guest_mikev_*

Guest_mikev_*
  • Guests

Posted 21 July 2014 - 12:35 PM

This is a pure speculation based on limited info, but do we know that the larvae is planktonic?

The abstract of the Springer article says

After spawning, males camouflage burrow entrances with sand and females brood developing young for 4 days. Males continue to guard the covered nests in 50% of observed brooding periods.

I'd think that guarding fry for four days would only make sense if the fry is large enough to do a substantial development during this time?...which kind of implies that the fry is large enough to start with (cf. most rhinogobius, fry is vulnerable for the first 4 days or so, and guarding would have made a big survival difference...not that they do it.)

#18 Guest_Skipjack_*

Guest_Skipjack_*
  • Guests

Posted 21 July 2014 - 01:04 PM

I also saw that they nest in cattails. Do Cattails grow in brackish waters? If not, they are at least trying to spawn in fresh.

#19 Guest_mzokan_*

Guest_mzokan_*
  • Guests

Posted 21 July 2014 - 04:07 PM

Cattails do grow in low salinity brackish water too, so its unclear whether the pond is FW or not, and the article does not say. For fish the size and mobility of clown gobies it is unlikely that their populations would be maintained year after year through recruitment solely from marine sources. The canals require a lengthy upstream trip. Obviously, they were able to colonize the lake that way in the first place, but it seems it is unlikely for them to maintain the populations that they do there solely through migration. The other fishes that do this (snook, mullet, tarpon, needlefish) are much stronger swimmers and longer-lived.

The article does mention that the young school in the water column along the shoreline after leaving the nest and have fully formed fins and eyes, matching the positions in adults. They are not clear on whether there is a planktonic phase or not, but it seems to imply that there isn't much of one and that they transform into miniature versions of the adults rather quickly.

#20 Guest_mikev_*

Guest_mikev_*
  • Guests

Posted 21 July 2014 - 04:52 PM

This sounds promising....

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users