Battling Ich

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_centrarchid_*

Guest_centrarchid_*
  • Guests

Posted 18 July 2014 - 09:08 AM

We are having a little bit of an Ich outbreak. I chewed a student for not picking up on it quicker, especially since we have a parallel system with an outbreak we caught earlier in the infection cycle that is being suppressed. She is learning real fast what we can and cannot do to control losses. Fishes infected are redspotted sunfish, central longear and western dollar sunfish.

#2 littlen

littlen
  • NANFA Member
  • Washington, D.C.

Posted 18 July 2014 - 01:54 PM

Do you notice one species taking a harder hit than the other(s).
Nick L.

#3 Guest_Skipjack_*

Guest_Skipjack_*
  • Guests

Posted 18 July 2014 - 04:03 PM

Are they meant for human consumption? That will narrow your treatment options. I assume the system is large, and massive water changes will be costly, as well as heating up the water.

#4 Guest_centrarchid_*

Guest_centrarchid_*
  • Guests

Posted 19 July 2014 - 06:22 AM

No obvious differences with respect to which species is being hit harder, numbers to low.

Not for human consumption. These guy have been transferred to a 20-gallon cooler to reduce treatment cost. Salinity has been raised to 2 ppt using NaCl to counter osmotic stress associated with mass eruption of feeding phase life stage. We are going after free-living tomites and theronts using Ick Remedy (Marineland brand). E.M. Erythromycin (antibiotic) is used to control secondary infection which is made obvious by necrosis of fins. Some have already lost most of their rayed portions of fins but antibiotic seems to have arrested that process. Oxygen concentration is being kept above saturation using pure oxygen dispensed with an oxygen diffuser. High oxygen compensates for damage to integument that otherwise tends to shut off normal respiration.

Normally elevated temperatures employed but this lot is not in a system where such is possible.

#5 Guest_Irate Mormon_*

Guest_Irate Mormon_*
  • Guests

Posted 20 July 2014 - 07:39 PM

Wow, that sounds like a pretty heavy infestation. Yeah, I would be upset that it got that far.

#6 Guest_centrarchid_*

Guest_centrarchid_*
  • Guests

Posted 21 July 2014 - 08:57 AM

Keeping oxygen concentration well above saturation appears to have been very beneficial and will be repeated if such a heavy infestation is realized.

#7 Guest_gerald_*

Guest_gerald_*
  • Guests

Posted 21 July 2014 - 10:26 AM

Skin damage tends to shut off normal respiration? That's new to me ... please explain.

#8 Guest_centrarchid_*

Guest_centrarchid_*
  • Guests

Posted 21 July 2014 - 01:38 PM

Skin of sorts makes up gill epithelium. Damage from ich cause epithelium to thicken. Diffusion across epithelium slows with increasing thickness. Slowed diffusion interferes with transfer of oxygen from water to blood.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users