Baitfish Quality

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 Sean Phillips

Sean Phillips
  • NANFA Member
  • Allegheny River Drainage, Southwest PA

Posted 31 August 2014 - 09:37 AM

A while back I brought home nine 2" emerald shiners along with three yellow perch from Erie. All the perch are still doing great but I lost the last shiner a week ago. Don't know why since I had them in QT with an air stone at first with some seeded substrate and decor and added a cycled sponge filter a bit later. Out fishing now and it's slow and have a bucket full of 3-4" emerald shiners so I'm wondering if since they're bigger and I put them right into their final tank if they'd do any better. Any opinions on this?

On another note, a local bait shop by me always has 4-5" suckers for bait and since I never catch them that small in the creek I'm considering getting one and growing it out for the pond I'm building. How hardy are suckers generally in captivity?
Sean Phillips - Pine Creek Watershed - Allegheny River Drainage

#2 Guest_Yeahson421_*

Guest_Yeahson421_*
  • Guests

Posted 31 August 2014 - 12:45 PM

Emerald Shiners are one of the more sensitive shiners. Wait until fall to transfer any shiners. As for suckers, the suckers they are selling at the bait shop are White Suckers which either die really quickly or grow very fast, reaching their ultimate size of over 2 foot before long. Not a great aquarium specimen.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users