IHateAlgae here.

11 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_IHateAlgae_*

Guest_IHateAlgae_*
  • Guests

Posted 23 September 2014 - 03:39 PM

Hello thar. I'm IHateAlgae. I hate algae. I own a 30 gallon atm and am about to set up a 55 gallon. It's partly - but mostly native fish.
Current stock:
11 - 12 mosquito fish (hard to count!)
1 lonely creek chub (I think.)
2 ghost shrimp.

Thanks!

#2 al10

al10
  • NANFA Guest
  • North Carolina

Posted 23 September 2014 - 04:52 PM

Hey you joined, all those fish are native, I hope the 55g doesn't take long, can't wait to see it.

#3 Guest_IHateAlgae_*

Guest_IHateAlgae_*
  • Guests

Posted 23 September 2014 - 05:10 PM

It may take a while, so far all my LFSs sell fake driftwood at best, I may have to travel a bit further. Also making sure the water doesn't go nuts upon filling before tossing my precious creek chub catch will be in order.

#4 al10

al10
  • NANFA Guest
  • North Carolina

Posted 23 September 2014 - 06:34 PM

Yeah, alot of lfs that are new don't have kt, my lfs have like 5 different species of wood available :P

#5 Guest_Skipjack_*

Guest_Skipjack_*
  • Guests

Posted 24 September 2014 - 07:07 AM

Collect the fish, collect the wood too. Driftwood is not difficult to find. It is pretty easy to weigh down with a bit of creativity.

#6 Guest_jblaylock_*

Guest_jblaylock_*
  • Guests

Posted 24 September 2014 - 11:10 AM

Collect the fish, collect the wood too. Driftwood is not difficult to find. It is pretty easy to weigh down with a bit of creativity.

Yup! Find your wood, and if you can't waterlog it, you can easily attach it to something to weigh it down. In my tank, I attached 2 pieces of wood to plexiglass. I drilled holes in the plexiglass, and attached the wood with a stainless steel screw and/or zip tie. Then you can bury the plexiglass part under the aquarium gravel and that will hold it down.

#7 Guest_IHateAlgae_*

Guest_IHateAlgae_*
  • Guests

Posted 24 September 2014 - 11:24 AM

I may look around if the wood turns out to be expensive. But yeah, wood is unlikely to turn up here because the weather is always so calm, and the trees here have so much bark. :-s

#8 al10

al10
  • NANFA Guest
  • North Carolina

Posted 24 September 2014 - 11:47 AM

If you go to a crek or a lake/rive/pond and ho swimming and such you'll see some peices.

#9 Guest_IHateAlgae_*

Guest_IHateAlgae_*
  • Guests

Posted 24 September 2014 - 04:34 PM

Lel I aint swimming in stagnant water lol.
EDIT: I got the wood and it is alright. 74$, but plenty.

Edited by IHateAlgae, 24 September 2014 - 04:35 PM.

#10 al10

al10
  • NANFA Guest
  • North Carolina

Posted 24 September 2014 - 07:27 PM

Haha, if your up north it will be too col for the flesh eating bacteria to live in, haha.
The fake stuff? Or did they get real? Pics?

#11 Guest_IHateAlgae_*

Guest_IHateAlgae_*
  • Guests

Posted 24 September 2014 - 09:57 PM

The fish were caught up north, and likewise I am not using a heater and do not intend to even during the winter. I'm going to post the driftwood pic in the tank thread. It will be a new thread for the 55.

#12 al10

al10
  • NANFA Guest
  • North Carolina

Posted 25 September 2014 - 08:07 AM

I was saying about swimming in the lake, on I will look.

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users