California Native Aquarium?

4 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_Pony_*

Guest_Pony_*
  • Guests

Posted 25 September 2014 - 05:48 PM

I've been put in charge of a coldwater aquarium at my community college for the Life Sciences department. Right now they have a 55G shallow square tank that is naturally planted and has mosquitofish in it. I was asked to try to find preferably native fish, crustaceans, and plants that would work well in our setup.

I'm new to native fish but I've read that collecting and keeping them in California is not currently legal, I believe? But I also read something that mentioned that there are exceptions, such as for environmental exibits or schools. Since this project is for the school tank, does that mean it would be legal for me to pursue native fish for the tank, or do I need some other sort of special permission?

Also, if I can proceed with native fish, does anybody have any recommendations? Preferably things that would be able to live with our mosquitofish, but I could possibly convince them to move the little guys to another tank if needed.

#2 Michael Wolfe

Michael Wolfe
  • Board of Directors
  • North Georgia, Oconee River Drainage

Posted 25 September 2014 - 06:38 PM

Welcome Pony, I don't know much about California, but we do have a California Regional Rep. and he is on the board here pretty regular. He goes by the name EBParks here on the forum. If he doesn't see this in the next day or so, you can contact him directly.
Either write something worth reading or do something worth writing. - Benjamin Franklin

#3 Guest_Pony_*

Guest_Pony_*
  • Guests

Posted 25 September 2014 - 11:45 PM

Thanks so much! Definitely will do :)

#4 Guest_mikez_*

Guest_mikez_*
  • Guests

Posted 26 September 2014 - 09:50 AM

BTW, exceptions exist in most states for "educational" exhibits etc. Does n ot mean however you're automatically covered 'cause you're a school.
Usually some kind of permit is required. No clue about Ca. but some states are persnickety about who they give out permits to. Not always as easy as common sense suggests it should be.

#5 Michael Wolfe

Michael Wolfe
  • Board of Directors
  • North Georgia, Oconee River Drainage

Posted 26 September 2014 - 11:10 AM

Look at these threads, Josh has a display aquarium...

http://forum.nanfa.o...rks#entry101753

http://forum.nanfa.o...ge__hl__ebparks
Either write something worth reading or do something worth writing. - Benjamin Franklin

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users