Lifetime membership

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 littlen

littlen
  • NANFA Member
  • Washington, D.C.

Posted 09 October 2014 - 05:24 PM

Has the idea ever been discussed about allowing the purchase of a lifetime membership as opposed to a new membership or renewing each year? Say for example, 10 years up front (~$300) and you're in for life. I know other clubs and organizations offer this. Not saying that we have to be like them, nor do I have "$300" laying around at the moment. But it is something I would seriously consider.

Just curious what other members think.
Nick L.

#2 Guest_Skipjack_*

Guest_Skipjack_*
  • Guests

Posted 09 October 2014 - 05:55 PM

As a board member, I think that it merits discussion. Thank you for the suggestion.

#3 mattknepley

mattknepley
  • NANFA Member
  • Smack-dab between the Savannah and the Saluda.

Posted 10 October 2014 - 05:39 AM

I'd say that's something worth considering, too.
Matt Knepley
"No thanks, a third of a gopher would merely arouse my appetite..."

#4 Guest_Dustin_*

Guest_Dustin_*
  • Guests

Posted 12 October 2014 - 09:44 AM

I thought we already had a lifetime membership but I don't see it listed anywhere.

#5 littlen

littlen
  • NANFA Member
  • Washington, D.C.

Posted 12 October 2014 - 01:21 PM

Ya, I checked over on the NANFA homepage for it, and it only shows annual dues: http://www.nanfa.org/join.shtml .

Dustin, do you recall [if it already exists] what the cost is?
Nick L.

#6 Guest_Skipjack_*

Guest_Skipjack_*
  • Guests

Posted 12 October 2014 - 01:42 PM

I would do it myself if it were available. I usually pay for two or three years at a time just to avoid the hassle, and to try to make sure I don't forget to pay my dues.

#7 littlen

littlen
  • NANFA Member
  • Washington, D.C.

Posted 12 October 2014 - 02:32 PM

That is kind of my thought too, Matt. I don't think we'd get an overwhelming surge in lifetime membership purchases--particularly from new members. But it could potentially give NANFA a decent surge in revenue right off the bat from some of the folks who have been around for a long while (10+ years?). With that surge of income, I think NANFA could put it to use in creative ways to help further promote the organization to draw in new [paying] members. We could certainly create a new topic to discus ways to spend all of this hypothetical money, but I'll wait until this idea takes off first.

On that note, I'm going to go see how much change I have in my car and under my sofa cushions.
Nick L.

#8 Guest_michifish_*

Guest_michifish_*
  • Guests

Posted 12 October 2014 - 02:54 PM

It is not like it is found free money. It has to fund a membership for a life time.

#9 Michael Wolfe

Michael Wolfe
  • Board of Directors
  • North Georgia, Oconee River Drainage

Posted 12 October 2014 - 02:56 PM

(70 - your age) * $30 is a lot of money for most people
Either write something worth reading or do something worth writing. - Benjamin Franklin

#10 Guest_Skipjack_*

Guest_Skipjack_*
  • Guests

Posted 12 October 2014 - 03:01 PM

If interest rates were a bit higher this would make a lot of sense from a financial standpoint as well. I still like the idea, just wish we were in better economic times, then it would be a no brainer. If we do consider it, the tricky part would be determining the break even number.

#11 Michael Wolfe

Michael Wolfe
  • Board of Directors
  • North Georgia, Oconee River Drainage

Posted 12 October 2014 - 04:01 PM

There is no real "break even point" for the organization. The people that would be interested are the same people that will continue to pay year after year, so how would this ever be a good deal for NANFA? I guess if we were in a bad financial situation and needed the bulk income. But even then, it is borrowing from the future. I am not sure how this wold ever be a benefit to both the member and the organization.
Either write something worth reading or do something worth writing. - Benjamin Franklin

#12 Guest_Skipjack_*

Guest_Skipjack_*
  • Guests

Posted 12 October 2014 - 04:22 PM

It would depend on several factors. Average duration of membership, the cost of lifetime membership, and how many actually did it. That is the tricky part, figuring these factors, and setting a price. Makes it pretty difficult. But if we had people purchase lifetime memberships, who may otherwise only stick around for 4 years for example and get bored. It is food for thought, but I agree that the balancing act may be too difficult to achieve. Also as I mentioned before interest rates are so low that it is not a good time. If we had a large influx of money and interest rates were higher it would create a buffer. I don't see that changing anytime in the near future. Still interesting to think about ways to improve on the organization, and we should not let ourselves get stale.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users