Photo

Just might want to stay out of the water for a while...

• Please log in to reply
21 replies to this topic

#1 mattknepley

mattknepley
  • NANFA Member
  • Smack-dab between the Savannah and the Saluda.

Posted 15 October 2014 - 03:05 PM

Video starts a little slow but it picks up at 30 seconds and is fascinating by the time it ends.

http://www.grindtv.c...ideotaped-surf/
Matt Knepley
"No thanks, a third of a gopher would merely arouse my appetite..."

#2 Guest_Skipjack_*

Guest_Skipjack_*
  • Guests

Posted 15 October 2014 - 03:45 PM

I am not into sharknadoes. That is pretty crazy.

#3 Guest_zooxanthellae_*

Guest_zooxanthellae_*
  • Guests

Posted 15 October 2014 - 04:22 PM

Video starts a little slow but it picks up at 30 seconds and is fascinating by the time it ends.

http://www.grindtv.c...ideotaped-surf/

This time of year, the waters around that area are full of sharks. It is also not uncommon to see multiple sharks in the shorebreak as they chase bait. That however, was something else entirely. Pretty neat!

#4 Isaac Szabo

Isaac Szabo
  • NANFA Member
  • Marble Falls, AR

Posted 15 October 2014 - 06:29 PM

That's really cool.

#5 Guest_FirstChAoS_*

Guest_FirstChAoS_*
  • Guests

Posted 16 October 2014 - 12:44 AM

I'm gonna need a bigger seine!

Odd how they risk beaching themselves (and get close enough to make reaching the water a struggle) to get a meal.

I remember an incident a few years back of a large shark closely following a kayak in Cape Cod. So if a fish follows you home does that mean you can keep it? :)

#6 Guest_Skipjack_*

Guest_Skipjack_*
  • Guests

Posted 16 October 2014 - 03:03 AM

So if a fish follows you home does that mean you can keep it? :)

It's illegal to have an ice cream cone in your back pocket in NYC, isn't it? If you are missing the joke, which I bet Josh isn't. look into it.

#7 mattknepley

mattknepley
  • NANFA Member

Posted 16 October 2014 - 06:49 AM

I'm gonna need a bigger seine!

Meh, nothing a crack squad of NANFA commandos couldn't handle. First we send Casper, Bryce, and Isaac in on a snorkel/recon/intel gathering mission. Follow that with Matt D, Josh B, Kanus, and Dustin doing a couple sorties with backpack shockers. Michael, NH Josh, Beaman, and myself will handle seines. Gerald will handle communications and coordinations. There will be no time for IDs, so we'll moor Fritz to a buoy with 200 lbs of chum to release if things somehow get out of hand and we need a diversionary tactic to escape.
Matt Knepley

#8 Guest_BenCantrell_*

Guest_BenCantrell_*
  • Guests

Posted 16 October 2014 - 11:52 AM

Meh, nothing a crack squad of NANFA commandos couldn't handle. First we send Casper, Bryce, and Isaac in on a snorkel/recon/intel gathering mission. Follow that with Matt D, Josh B, Kanus, and Dustin doing a couple sorties with backpack shockers. Michael, NH Josh, Beaman, and myself will handle seines. Gerald will handle communications and coordinations. There will be no time for IDs, so we'll moor Fritz to a buoy with 200 lbs of chum to release if things somehow get out of hand and we need a diversionary tactic to escape.

Put me in coach! I'll bring the micro gear.

#9 Guest_Skipjack_*

Guest_Skipjack_*
  • Guests

Posted 16 October 2014 - 12:29 PM

LOL! And Uland to photo document the whole event, and bark orders to keep us on task.

#10 mattknepley

mattknepley
  • NANFA Member

Posted 16 October 2014 - 02:31 PM

Put me in coach! I'll bring the micro gear.

Roger that. Good thinking. You handle the microsharks we'd miss otherwise.

LOL! And Uland to photo document the whole event, and bark orders to keep us on task.

Another fine call. Did I leave anybody else out? We'll keep Kon and Olaf on land to make sure this all gets into the next AC.
Matt Knepley

#11 Guest_Kanus_*

Guest_Kanus_*
  • Guests

Posted 16 October 2014 - 07:00 PM

Ahahaha that's hilarious. And yes, I think Ben would be a huge asset. He might be off his game, with those not quite being micros, but still...

#12 Guest_BenCantrell_*

Guest_BenCantrell_*
  • Guests

Posted 16 October 2014 - 09:43 PM

Ahahaha that's hilarious. And yes, I think Ben would be a huge asset. He might be off his game, with those not quite being micros, but still...

Don't worry, I have some ENORMOUS micro hooks to use in cases like this.

#13 Guest_keepnatives_*

Guest_keepnatives_*
  • Guests

Posted 16 October 2014 - 10:04 PM

I'd join in but been there done that back in my younger days when I was able to handle my 100 foot seine alone. Got at least 85 sharks home alive but the tank was a bit crowded so I returned them. I was young and didn't know better yet.

#14 mattknepley

mattknepley
  • NANFA Member

Posted 17 October 2014 - 05:43 AM

Love me some ENORMOUS microhooks! I'm just grateful we have someone who knows how to use 'em at our disposal.

Mr. Lucas, you know the best can't ever stay retired. Consider this your summons! Bring the hunnert footer. (By the way, you're being modest. I have it from imaginary sources that the seine was really 200' and that you released 85 sharks. You actually brought home 437.)
Matt Knepley

#15 Guest_FirstChAoS_*

Guest_FirstChAoS_*
  • Guests

Posted 23 October 2014 - 12:24 PM

This talk about sharks got me thinking. I seen a photo once of a near shore white shark off the cape (which closed the beach) and I got to thinking. Assuming you enter the water not looking like a seal your main threat would be a curiosity bite. A friendly little nip to see what you are which just might take off a limb. (apparently great white sharks bring a new meaning to the term killing you with kindness). I got to thinking, if someone could soak a rag or sponge in foul tasting material and put it on the end of a stick could they make a shark bite it and get the impression of "tastes bad" without losing a limb? After all that is a horrible injury for a diver and generally disappointing for the shark too as they find us too bony and bad tasting, Could a simple pre encounter message of "taste bad" done without injuries let someone photograph these massive fish safely?

#16 Guest_jblaylock_*

Guest_jblaylock_*
  • Guests

Posted 23 October 2014 - 12:46 PM

It's illegal to have an ice cream cone in your back pocket in NYC, isn't it? If you are missing the joke, which I bet Josh isn't. look into it.

8-[

#17 Guest_Moontanman_*

Guest_Moontanman_*
  • Guests

Posted 24 October 2014 - 12:41 PM

I've seined up sharks before when seining in the surf for other things, sharks, bat rays, stingrays, I volunteer to seine duty anytime...

#18 mattknepley

mattknepley
  • NANFA Member

Posted 25 October 2014 - 08:28 AM

You're in Moontanman!

Josh, there may be some precedent for your idea. Lots o' critters taste bad as a defense. (Thinking specifically of insects, here.) Assuming it was easily portable and able to be wielded in a timely manner, it may be plausibe. Maybe a nasty-tasting bayonette on the end of a bang stick? Patent that idea, brother. I guess the biggest challenge is to find just what it is a great white thinks tastes nasty enough not to eat. And to find test subjects...
Matt Knepley

#19 Guest_FirstChAoS_*

Guest_FirstChAoS_*
  • Guests

Posted 25 October 2014 - 12:04 PM

You're in Moontanman!

Josh, there may be some precedent for your idea. Lots o' critters taste bad as a defense. (Thinking specifically of insects, here.) Assuming it was easily portable and able to be wielded in a timely manner, it may be plausibe. Maybe a nasty-tasting bayonette on the end of a bang stick? Patent that idea, brother. I guess the biggest challenge is to find just what it is a great white thinks tastes nasty enough not to eat. And to find test subjects...

True, I doubt I have the reflexes or swim experience to do it myself.

But the more I think of it the more sharks seem like any other fish but bigger.

Sure they may mistake you for food, but the fish in my tank mistake anything I out in their for food.

They may bite out of curiousity, but when I snorkle fishes curiousity always seems about food and small fish nibble on my arm hairs so the idea of me as potential food is not out of their mind.

The more I think of it, the more a shark just seems like a normal fish, only one big enough to fit you in its mouth with sharp teeth. None of its "scary behavior" seems so odd when you compare other fish. It's just scaled up.

#20 Isaac Szabo

Isaac Szabo
  • NANFA Member
  • Marble Falls, AR

Posted 25 October 2014 - 12:28 PM

Just wear some magnets. The force field should protect you.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users