• Guests

Posted 01 November 2014 - 03:19 PM

Now i need some jumprock suckers!

#2 Michael Wolfe

Michael Wolfe
  • Board of Directors
  • North Georgia, Oconee River Drainage

Posted 01 November 2014 - 04:27 PM

Lookin pretty good Moon! I love jumprocks and they will do well in a sand bottom tank like that.
Either write something worth reading or do something worth writing. - Benjamin Franklin

#3 Guest_Moontanman_*

Guest_Moontanman_*
  • Guests

Posted 01 November 2014 - 06:22 PM

Another view of that tank, the yellow bullhead comes out for supper...

#4 littlen

littlen
  • NANFA Member
  • Washington, D.C.

Posted 02 November 2014 - 10:17 AM

What size tank is it? Looks pretty big. Nice job.
Nick L.

#5 Guest_Moontanman_*

Guest_Moontanman_*
  • Guests

Posted 02 November 2014 - 10:41 AM

It's a 75, old tank but still in good shape and it holds water! I need better lighting if i decide to have plants in the tank, lots of possibilities at this point...

#6 Guest_Moontanman_*

Guest_Moontanman_*
  • Guests

Posted 02 November 2014 - 10:21 PM

I rearranged the rock work a bit, I think that is where it is going to stay, the yellow bullhead comes out again, cheeky little devil...

#7 Guest_Moontanman_*

Guest_Moontanman_*
  • Guests

Posted 03 November 2014 - 08:50 PM

Does anyone know the mating rituals the chubs in my video use? One of them has tubed up a bit and they are all taking turns shimmying side by side under a piece of bog wood...

#8 littlen

littlen
  • NANFA Member
  • Washington, D.C.

Posted 04 November 2014 - 10:17 AM

What you describe is typical cyprinid courtship behavior. I don't think the maneuver has a name in the kamasutra, if that's what you're asking.
Nick L.

#9 Guest_Moontanman_*

Guest_Moontanman_*
  • Guests

Posted 04 November 2014 - 10:29 AM

What you describe is typical cyprinid courtship behavior. I don't think the maneuver has a name in the kamasutra, if that's what you're asking.

It's just a bit out of season so I wasn't prepared for it.

#10 Michael Wolfe

Michael Wolfe
  • Board of Directors
  • North Georgia, Oconee River Drainage

Posted 04 November 2014 - 02:38 PM

I can't tell exactly. What kind of chubs are you talkin about Moon. I am all about some chubs. Are those Nocomis?
Either write something worth reading or do something worth writing. - Benjamin Franklin

#11 Guest_gerald_*

Guest_gerald_*
  • Guests

Posted 04 November 2014 - 05:32 PM

... AND typical Cyprinid get-outta-my-space behavior. If they're bluehead chubs, they dont look mature enough for courtship.

What you describe is typical cyprinid courtship behavior. ...

#12 Guest_Moontanman_*

Guest_Moontanman_*
  • Guests

Posted 04 November 2014 - 07:48 PM

I'm really not sure which species of chub they are, Fritz should know he was with us when they were caught. I keep the lights on 24/7 so the catfish will come out when the lights are on, that could be confusing them as to the season.

#13 Guest_Moontanman_*

Guest_Moontanman_*
  • Guests

Posted 04 November 2014 - 07:49 PM

They spend most of their time in a school swimming into the current, the getting under a piece of bog wood only goes on for a few seconds to a minute or so.

#14 littlen

littlen
  • NANFA Member
  • Washington, D.C.

Posted 04 November 2014 - 10:41 PM

Being in captivity certainly throws a wrench in the instinctual calendar. Breeding can occur outside of the normal breeding season that happens in the wild. New lighting conditions, temperature change, large water change(s) all can trigger a spawning session.

I will say that 24/7 lighting can also cause neurological issues for fish who are unable to rest. That usually goes hand in hand with other atypical behaviors--like going off feed.
Nick L.

#15 Guest_Moontanman_*

Guest_Moontanman_*
  • Guests

Posted 05 November 2014 - 05:42 AM

Being in captivity certainly throws a wrench in the instinctual calendar. Breeding can occur outside of the normal breeding season that happens in the wild. New lighting conditions, temperature change, large water change(s) all can trigger a spawning session.

I will say that 24/7 lighting can also cause neurological issues for fish who are unable to rest. That usually goes hand in hand with other atypical behaviors--like going off feed.

I can honestly say I've never seen a problem with 24/7 lighting, they do have lots of sheltered places to hide if they want to if I notice them not eating I might start the lighting cycle but they eat like little pigs..

#16 littlen

littlen
  • NANFA Member
  • Washington, D.C.

Posted 05 November 2014 - 06:41 AM

If you ever do see any issues, I would first dial back the lighting. Glad to hear that you aren't having any issues. How is your tank not covered in algae with the light being on that much?
Nick L.

#17 Guest_Moontanman_*

Guest_Moontanman_*
  • Guests

Posted 05 November 2014 - 09:56 AM

If you ever do see any issues, I would first dial back the lighting. Glad to hear that you aren't having any issues. How is your tank not covered in algae with the light being on that much?

The lights aren't all that intense, not intense enough to grow plants really, I am going to get a couple of t8 shop lamps later.

#18 Guest_Moontanman_*

Guest_Moontanman_*
  • Guests

Posted 05 November 2014 - 12:27 PM

I've been looking at the "chubs" as closely as possible and I have at least two different species, 3 of them resemble rosy faced cubs, the other two look like creek cubs but one is different enough for me to wonder if they are different species.

#19 mattknepley

mattknepley
  • NANFA Member
  • Smack-dab between the Savannah and the Saluda.

Posted 05 November 2014 - 01:12 PM

Looks good! That right angled piece of drift wood creates a pretty nice arch-effect. I had greenfin shiners act like that out of season, too. Hoped for some fry, even if they just turned into fish food, but no luck...
Matt Knepley
"No thanks, a third of a gopher would merely arouse my appetite..."

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users