Camera gear, housings, etc

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 brannon67

brannon67
  • NANFA Guest
  • USA

Posted 13 November 2014 - 08:54 AM

At the present, I use an old Sea and Sea DX!G set up. I really like this setup, but Im feeling I need to upgrade. Im thinking about either a Sony Alpha 6000 or mayby an Olympus EPL5. I just hate to buy a camera, and by a housing over $1000.00 nd the thing becomes obsolete in no time, or worse, they quite making the camera and the housing. What do you guys recommend? I bought a PEN EPL1 a while back, and waited to late to by the Olympus housing for it, because its discontinued. I hate stuff like that. I really want to upgrade, but im really nervous to do so. Opinions and advice. please.....

Edited by brannon, 13 November 2014 - 08:56 AM.

#2 BlueBlood

BlueBlood
  • NANFA Guest

Posted 15 November 2014 - 06:51 PM

Hey Brannon,

Don't worry about gear becoming obsolete by new models coming out. Invest in a quality rig and you can use it for years and years to come. Find a brand of camera/lens you like and the same for housing/ports and when you upgrade, you can piece together old components with new (lens+ports) to reduce costs/waste. I purchased a new rig (housing+camera) several months ago and have no intentions of upgrading for years to come. It can be frustrating when gear becomes discontinued, but the used market will likely have what you need. Make the initial investment in quality gear and you won't regret it.

Personally, I'm a huge fan of Micro 4/3 cameras and love Panasonic. Excellent stills and quality video in a super compact rig. The technology in these cameras is nuts and they will continue to produce quality footage that will hold its own, even with improving technology, for years to come in my opinion.

#3 Isaac Szabo

Isaac Szabo
  • NANFA Member
  • Marble Falls, AR

Posted 16 November 2014 - 11:21 AM

It looks like you may still be able to get the Olympus housing for your E-PL1: http://www.scuba.com...PL1-Camera.html

If you're set on buying a new setup, it's difficult to give recommendations without knowing more information. There are just so many options with various strengths/weaknesses over a very wide price range. It would be helpful to know your budget and intended use (photo? video? snorkel? dive? subject matter? wide angle? macro? available light? strobes? etc).

#4 FirstChAoS

FirstChAoS
  • Regional Rep

Posted 16 November 2014 - 12:59 PM

Have you considered a sea life? the basic camera and housing for their DC1400 with no other accessories is just under 500 dollars. Their simpler (I assume simpler as it is less expensive) ReefMaster model goes from 100-400 bucks on amazon based on seller and accessories.

#5 brannon67

brannon67
  • NANFA Guest
  • USA

Posted 16 November 2014 - 01:18 PM

Thanks for the advice guys. Im still thinking about what Im going to get/do. Thank you IsaacS for the info on the Olympus housing. Im looking into that.

#6 brannon67

brannon67
  • NANFA Guest
  • USA

Posted 16 November 2014 - 07:12 PM

To answer some questions, I shoot 9 times out of 10 in shallow, clear water, on sunny days, so I dont really use a strobe that much, if ever. I shoot alot of wide angle shots, mostly. Alot of half/half shots also. Oh yeah, thats a DX1G not a DX!G.

#7 brannon67

brannon67
  • NANFA Guest
  • USA

Posted 16 November 2014 - 07:13 PM

If I do anything right now, I may try to get that Olympus housing for the PL1 and be done for a while. Have at least 2 decent rigs to use.

#8 brannon67

brannon67
  • NANFA Guest
  • USA

Posted 17 November 2014 - 03:10 PM

About decided to go with the Olympus housing for the PL1 camera. I can spend $599 better then $2000.00 or more right now.

#9 Isaac Szabo

Isaac Szabo
  • NANFA Member
  • Marble Falls, AR

Posted 17 November 2014 - 03:24 PM

Sounds like a good plan. Easy and saves a lot of money. The E-PL1 is not significantly outdated. You should be able to get a lot of use out of it.

#10 brannon67

brannon67
  • NANFA Guest
  • USA

Posted 17 November 2014 - 03:37 PM

Yeah, Im hoping so, since the camera is practically in new condition. I havent used it very much on land. I mostly use my camera phone on land, Ha, but I need another underwater rig, so Im going with the camera I already have, and getting the Olympus housing and be done with it for a long time.

#11 brannon67

brannon67
  • NANFA Guest
  • USA

Posted 04 December 2014 - 05:09 PM

Gave the Olympus PL-1 to my wife and bought the A6000 Sony while it was on sale at Bestbuy. In search for a housing now(and the money to buy it with). Ha!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users