Photo

Gambusia or Guppy?

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
30 replies to this topic

#21 butch

butch
  • NANFA Guest

Posted 24 November 2014 - 12:55 PM

It is a guppy. I do not see any characteristics of gambusia on this fish. Raised both for long time. Lack of tear drops under the eye and dots in both dorsal and caudal fins suggested it is a guppy. Also the mouth is square shaped and not enough length in jaws suggests a guppy. Gambusia has longer jaws and is rounded. So far I do not see any gambusia characteristics. All I see lot of guppy characteristics on this fish.

#22 al10

al10
  • NANFA Guest
  • North Carolina

Posted 24 November 2014 - 03:20 PM

The black lines get pale when stressed and gupies dont have aa mouth upturned as much as this one is.

#23 Sean Phillips

Sean Phillips
  • NANFA Member
  • Allegheny River Drainage, Southwest PA

Posted 24 November 2014 - 07:57 PM

Taking a really good look at it, I'm almost now positive it's a female guppy, I bought it and now have it in with some tequila sunrises so it'll hopefully give me some nice spawns, thanks for the help guys. I'll get some 100% positive gambusia when I go back to the LFS on Saturday since he has some holbrookis there which I can start breeding.
Sean Phillips - Pine Creek Watershed - Allegheny River Drainage

#24 butch

butch
  • NANFA Guest

Posted 24 November 2014 - 08:51 PM

That female guppy should be fine with your current guppies. She isn't fin nippers like the gambusia does. Do not put gambusias in the tank with guppies especially the fancy ones, they will trimming all fins and prey on fry heavily.

#25 butch

butch
  • NANFA Guest

Posted 24 November 2014 - 08:57 PM

Al10, I'm sorry but I do not see any gambusia characteristics on the fish in question. All I see is lot of guppy characteristics on the fish. Upturned mouth occurred in both guppies and gambusia (and other livebearers as well).

#26 al10

al10
  • NANFA Guest
  • North Carolina

Posted 24 November 2014 - 10:43 PM

mparythe fish with the female guppy pic provided in first pages, they are different, and now I see there is no blackbar, I say a hybrid of the two.

#27 butch

butch
  • NANFA Guest

Posted 25 November 2014 - 09:41 AM

I don't see any evidence that it is hybrid between guppy and gambusia. Its just an over sized feeder guppy.

#28 Sean Phillips

Sean Phillips
  • NANFA Member

Posted 25 November 2014 - 11:36 AM

I don't see any evidence that it is hybrid between guppy and gambusia. Its just an over sized feeder guppy.

Make that extremely oversized! It just kind of scoots around in the 15G while the other guppies are above it in the water column. I think it has a few too many fry in it :).

#29 Sean Phillips

Sean Phillips
  • NANFA Member

Posted 26 November 2014 - 05:49 PM

Probably because it's a feeder but it's definitely got much darker chain- like patterns outlining its scales than my other female guppies. It hasn't bugged any fish though which leads me to believe it's definitely not gambusia.

Attached Files

#30 al10

al10
  • NANFA Guest
  • North Carolina

Posted 26 November 2014 - 08:48 PM

That's a hybrid, I'm 99.99% sure, see how the yellow is? That's how all my hybrids where, and they are big, also the darkness is from the mosquitos.

#31 fundulus

fundulus
  • Global Moderator

Posted 27 November 2014 - 11:33 AM

I'm locking this thread which has run its useful course.
Bruce Stallsmith, Huntsville, Alabama, US of A

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users