Photo

Roanoke Logperch Video

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Kanus

Kanus
  • Board of Directors

Posted 21 November 2014 - 05:34 PM

Very nice video about the work being done to conserve the Roanoke Logperch here in SW Virginia. This fish is lucky in that a prominent local news anchor is a big fan of nature and fish in particular, and thus this fish has gotten quite a bit of coverage. It's also worth noting that his son runs the aquarium business that installed and maintains the tank. I've been lucky to have been a part of this project and am usually the one to assist with catching specimens. As of yet, currently P. caprodes is on display in the tank while permits are finalized to display the primary species of focus.

I may have posted a video similar to this before, but I believe this is an extended cut of a similar short news segment that aired last year.

Also, the lovely people at reef2rainforest linked to NANFA in the description of the video...how cool is that? Let's hope it goes viral!

http://www.reef2rain...anoke-logperch/

https://www.youtube....h?v=n9o9VMDdCZk

Derek Wheaton

On a mountain overlooking the North Fork Roanoke River on one side, the New River Valley on the other, and a few minutes away from the James River watershed...the good life...

Enchanting Ectotherms

My Personal Facebook (mostly fish related, if you'd like to add me)

#2 mattknepley

mattknepley
  • NANFA Member
  • Smack-dab between the Savannah and the Saluda.

Posted 21 November 2014 - 07:58 PM

Great job all the way around. Definite thanks to reef2rainforest for the link!

The part about Roanoke logperch populations going through boom or busts was interesting. I've usually thought of such patterns as strictly predator/prey related. For example, rabbit populations surge, soon thereafter fox populations surge. Rabbits crash, soon thereafter foxes crash. (Yes, I realize there are more factors at play, but the general statement/thought holds true, I think.)Is that the case here? Are Roanoke logperch that dependent upon food source(s) that are so impacted by weather? Or are they the prey that just so happens not to have a major predator whose population depends on it? Both? Neither?
Matt Knepley
"No thanks, a third of a gopher would merely arouse my appetite..."

#3 Isaac Szabo

Isaac Szabo
  • NANFA Member
  • Marble Falls, AR

Posted 21 November 2014 - 09:17 PM

Nice video. Glad the species is getting some attention.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users