Photo

Latest AC

20 replies to this topic

#1 mattknepley

mattknepley
  • NANFA Member
  • Smack-dab between the Savannah and the Saluda.

Posted 21 November 2014 - 07:37 PM

Haven't had the chance to read it thoroughly, but the initial perusal indicates it's another fantastic edition! Thanks for all the work on it! And for those of us keeping score of cover damage, mine arrived in pristine condition! :)
Matt Knepley
"No thanks, a third of a gopher would merely arouse my appetite..."

#2 Michael Wolfe

Michael Wolfe
  • Board of Directors
  • North Georgia, Oconee River Drainage

Posted 21 November 2014 - 07:42 PM

USPS cheater... you always get your early!

I saw pdf version and was blown away... but the mail is slow out my way.
Either write something worth reading or do something worth writing. - Benjamin Franklin

#3 mattknepley

mattknepley
  • NANFA Member

Posted 21 November 2014 - 08:02 PM

USPS cheater... you always get your early!

I saw pdf version and was blown away... but the mail is slow out my way.

:)

Maybe it's karma for the first issue with the new printer; I was just about the last one to get that issue!
Matt Knepley

#4 Sean Phillips

Sean Phillips
  • NANFA Member
  • Allegheny River Drainage, Southwest PA

Posted 21 November 2014 - 10:14 PM

I've read the first article on Paddlefish so far and it was extremely well written and informative! Also saw some great photos in the back from Isaac from this year's convention that were amazing quality.
Sean Phillips - Pine Creek Watershed - Allegheny River Drainage

#5 littlen

littlen
  • NANFA Member
  • Washington, D.C.

Posted 22 November 2014 - 10:28 AM

Matt, mine still get a nice crease down the middle from our local mailman. Often it runs through nice, color photos and really takes away from what so many put in to produce great pics and a fantastic publication. It grinds my gears a little, but I'll live with it I guess.

Michael, how are we on needing articles for future editions?
Nick L.

#6 harryknaub

harryknaub
  • NANFA Member

Posted 22 November 2014 - 11:39 AM

Got mine last night but didn't have time for more than a quick perusal. It's a minor consideration, but having color photos throughout the magazine just makes it feel somehow more professional or maybe more mainstream. Anyhow, it just looks great.

Harry
between the Waccamaw and the ocean

#7 keepnatives

keepnatives
  • Regional Rep

Posted 22 November 2014 - 12:31 PM

Got mine yesterday very early, usually get it well after everyone else. Read most of it, great articles. Mine seems always to be damaged and this was no exception the cover being torn and bent.
Mike Lucas
Mohawk-Hudson Watershed
Schenectady NY

#8 Michael Wolfe

Michael Wolfe
  • Board of Directors

Posted 22 November 2014 - 01:39 PM

Matt, mine still get a nice crease down the middle from our local mailman. Often it runs through nice, color photos and really takes away from what so many put in to produce great pics and a fantastic publication. It grinds my gears a little, but I'll live with it I guess.

Michael, how are we on needing articles for future editions?

Fritz and Konrad are always looking for more content. if you have an idea, get it written up and submitted to them... it might not be in the next issue, but it will get used in the next or the next...!!!
Either write something worth reading or do something worth writing. - Benjamin Franklin

#9 gerald

gerald
  • Global Moderator
  • Wake Forest, North Carolina

Posted 22 November 2014 - 01:43 PM

It took me a few minutes to grasp what I was looking at on the cover, due to the peculiar lighting.

My first impression was that one of our intrepid rare-species-detectives had found a plesiosaur.

Excellent material throughout, and beautiful layout!

Gerald Pottern
-----------------------
Hangin' on the Neuse
"Taxonomy is the diaper used to organize the mess of evolution into discrete packages" - M.Sandel

#10 FirstChAoS

FirstChAoS
  • Regional Rep

Posted 22 November 2014 - 09:30 PM

I am amazed I got my AC in the mail today. Usually I get them late.

#11 mattknepley

mattknepley
  • NANFA Member

Posted 23 November 2014 - 09:50 PM

Have read it cover to cover. 'Nother great job! Emily Hilt's "History in Jars" creative nonfiction was a well-crafted piece a little outside the norm for AC, but it fit in beautifully, I thought. The rest is, well, exactly the reason I read each issue in a day or two and then start the waiting for the next edition! Another great job! Don't want to say anymore so as not to spoil anything for those who haven't received their's yet.

As for the mail damage, Nick's is straight up on the carrier as far as I can tell. I think I'd mention it to the carrier again, and the OIC or postmaster at your office, Nick. A crease, especially a hard one, is not acceptable; especially if you've approached the carrier about it. Most other damage is probably happening somewhere between printer and the time the central processing center for those areas put on the truck for the local offices. We do accidentally damage a very small percentage of the thousands (plus)periodicals we receive weekly. But honestly, local P.O.s don't use the machinery or procedures prone to mangling the covers like some have gotten them. I'll ask around and see if anybody has any ideas as to why this may be happening, but I don't run in the circles that would probably have the answers...
Matt Knepley

#12 Josh Blaylock

Josh Blaylock
  • Board of Directors
  • Central Kentucky

Posted 24 November 2014 - 04:53 PM

I have some beef with the Convention Recap writer.................

Josh Blaylock - Central KY
NANFA on Facebook

KYCREEKS - KRWW - KWA

I hope to have God on my side, but I must have Kentucky.

- Abraham Lincoln, 1861

#13 Michael Wolfe

Michael Wolfe
  • Board of Directors

Posted 24 November 2014 - 06:43 PM

I have some beef with the Convention Recap writer.................

I'm shocked that you would say that... oh, wait, it was not me that was shocked... never mind

#14 fritz

fritz
  • Board of Directors

Posted 25 November 2014 - 04:14 PM

:biggrin:

#15 fritz

fritz
  • Board of Directors

Posted 25 November 2014 - 04:15 PM

And yes Nick, we always need material.

#16 littlen

littlen
  • NANFA Member
  • Washington, D.C.

Posted 25 November 2014 - 07:29 PM

Thanks for the additional info, Matt. It's kind of a delicate situation--don't want to upset the guy who is responsible for delivering my mail. On the other hand I don't enjoy having my periodicals and other large mail items intentionally creased to save room in his bag or truck. Maybe a plate of cookies and a peaceful note? Or maybe a mousetrap hidden behind some outgoing mail?

Fritz, I will send you another write-up within the week.
Nick L.

#17 Ken

Ken
  • NANFA Member

Posted 26 November 2014 - 11:23 PM

I need to find out why I haven't received mine yet. I checked the date on my last one to make sure my membership hadn't lapsed and according to the date it hasn't. Who can I contact to find out?

In Seine Creek Stomping

Admin: Percidae Husbandry; a Closed Facebook Group

#18 Michael Wolfe

Michael Wolfe
  • Board of Directors

Posted 27 November 2014 - 08:09 AM

I just looked at the November nembership database and I know you are still a member.

I don't have mine yet either. This is the downside to bulk mail. The upside is it is much less expensive for NANFA. Bulk mail must be extra slow in Iowa and North Georgia.

Oh, and the other right answer to your question is that you can contact Tom Watson. He is the treasurer and membership coordinator and his info is on the inside cover ofvyour last AC or on the website under the "Administrivia" tab... All of the BOD are there.

#19 Ken

Ken
  • NANFA Member

Posted 27 November 2014 - 07:09 PM

Thanks Michael. I kind of figured bulk mail and wasn't too bothered by it .... but then I saw how many have received theirs and well there you go.... Yep, I should have checked inside the flap. I knew that. Thanks for the reminder.

In Seine Creek Stomping

Admin: Percidae Husbandry; a Closed Facebook Group

#20 natureman187

natureman187
  • NANFA Guest

Posted 30 November 2014 - 01:02 AM

Several days ago, I read my AC a bit.
The articles I've goen through are wonderful. The new print style bumbs the quality 10 fold. Cover to cover color, great news!

The bad news, all the images of mine in this AC were all mined from the internet. That content is not publishable quality, watermark retentions, pixilations, ect. This makes my work appear unprofessional.
I'm not ok with my work used in this fashion. If the editors are going through the hassel of paying for color images, let's do it right. Let me know which images are needed and I'll supply them.

Go team!

Sangamon River Valley

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users