plant and snail ids

• Please log in to reply
22 replies to this topic

#1 al10

al10
  • NANFA Guest
  • North Carolina

Posted 22 November 2014 - 03:00 PM

so i went fishing today hoping to get a few swamp darters, but I ended up with, mosquitofish(I hate them and they will be quarantined and going in a pond with my other mosquitofish), sailfin mollies, a least killifish, and a ton of ghost shrimp, plus 2 species of snails and plants, but I don't know what plants or snails I have, the snails I think I know, I think I have some kind of trumpet snails, and some kind of apple or trapdoor snails, and here some pics of what I have.
will continue in next post

Attached Files

#2 al10

al10
  • NANFA Guest
  • North Carolina

Posted 22 November 2014 - 03:09 PM

This one I found growing in wet soil along the river, so I maymake a hanging plantar for it in my tank.Attached File  100_2287.JPG   76.5KB   1 downloads
This one(I have several things) I found/saw growing in water and along thne bank, so I think it could be rotala or red ludwigia(spelled wrong) it grows by runners and is green and red.
Attached File  100_2289.JPG   78.51KB   1 downloadsAttached File  100_2290.JPG   87.87KB   1 downloads

#3 al10

al10
  • NANFA Guest
  • North Carolina

Posted 22 November 2014 - 03:12 PM

And the last plant, I think its hairgrass but I'm not 100% on it.
Attached File  100_2291.JPG   67.97KB   0 downloadsAttached File  100_2292.JPG   71.85KB   0 downloads
And heres the two types of snails I got.
Attached File  100_2295.JPG   57.19KB   1 downloadsAttached File  100_2297.JPG   46.71KB   1 downloads

#4 al10

al10
  • NANFA Guest
  • North Carolina

Posted 22 November 2014 - 06:09 PM

Ok I ided a few, the snila in order of the abovepics, common trumpet snail, and florida apple snails :) I love apple snails :D
And the plant I thought was a rotala or ludwgia is one of them but not sure what species.

#5 gerald

gerald
  • Global Moderator
  • Wake Forest, North Carolina

Posted 22 November 2014 - 10:04 PM

The red+green Ludwigia might be L. palustris or L. repens -- those 2 are pretty near identical unless you have flowers to compare. The first plant (green with pale veins) might be another Ludwigia species, or Samolus, or something else entirely.
The grassy one might be a hairgrass as you suspect, or maybe a rush like Juncus or Scirpus.
For snails check out Freshwater Gastropods of North America, FWGNA - they have species lists and photos for each state.

Gerald Pottern
-----------------------
Hangin' on the Neuse
"Taxonomy is the diaper used to organize the mess of evolution into discrete packages" - M.Sandel

#6 al10

al10
  • NANFA Guest
  • North Carolina

Posted 22 November 2014 - 10:20 PM

Thanks you :) I saw the lepens but I wasn't sure.
I was leaning towards a crypt of somesort or something because it wasn't as aboundant and was growing singly in a few places but im not sure.
Humm I didn't think of a rush, it is probaly that, because it is really tall and most was near the edge.
Thanks again.

Oh and update, all stuff is still alive last time I checked.

#7 powerguy85

powerguy85
  • NANFA Guest
  • NoVA

Posted 23 November 2014 - 12:48 AM

That first plant looks like a variety of hygro. I definitely agree with the other being ludwigia, most likely L. repens. The rest, I'

#8 al10

al10
  • NANFA Guest
  • North Carolina

Posted 23 November 2014 - 07:12 AM

Thanks.

#9 al10

al10
  • NANFA Guest
  • North Carolina

Posted 23 November 2014 - 07:53 AM

Ok so since that plant that I thought was a crypt or something was semi aquatic, I made a semi aquatic plant basket, I used a plant pot(plant aquarium ones), and some filter sponge and I will fill with gravel and suction cup it to the wall.

#10 gerald

gerald
  • Global Moderator

Posted 23 November 2014 - 04:02 PM

If it's in a pot, you might want to add some soil too, to increase its chance of survival and growth. There's no wild Cryptocoryne in the USA, unless sombody dumped or planted some and they survived. It does look like a fairly stiff plant, probably adapted to grow emergent.

Gerald Pottern
-----------------------
Hangin' on the Neuse
"Taxonomy is the diaper used to organize the mess of evolution into discrete packages" - M.Sandel

#11 al10

al10
  • NANFA Guest
  • North Carolina

Posted 23 November 2014 - 04:06 PM

Yeah I was think about putting a pantyhose over it and putting some non fertilized potting soild over it, but I'm wasn't sure, I guess I will do that.
Yeah, i am in florida so I was just guessing because I amnot thebest when it comers to crypts, or any wide leaved plant if that makes sense, I am mailly kept stems, moss, marimos, vals, and bulb plants.

#12 UncleWillie

UncleWillie
  • NANFA Member
  • Georgia

Posted 23 November 2014 - 04:47 PM

Don't know about #1, but I agree with #2 being Ludwigia. #3 is likely wigeon grass (Ruppia). Don't know about snail #1, and #2 could be one of several species, but I'd be leaning towards Campaloma.

Willie P

#13 al10

al10
  • NANFA Guest
  • North Carolina

Posted 25 November 2014 - 04:47 PM

Ok so I did a peroxide dip on the fish and such, and I put tem in thebreeder box today to makesure nothing is wrong, and I see some weird white bump things, on them, and I am pretty scared that its fungus or parasites, they are different sizes and anthard to see, but they aren't lifted a lot, so what do you think it is? Could it just be dead something on them from the peroxide dip.

#14 al10

al10
  • NANFA Guest
  • North Carolina

Posted 25 November 2014 - 08:12 PM

Ok so fter looking closer, I am about 80% sureits fungus, and one or two have finrot, so here's my options for meds, api bettafix, and peroxide, so what should I do?!?!?!!!?

#15 gzeiger

gzeiger
  • NANFA Guest

Posted 25 November 2014 - 09:17 PM

Daily water changes of 20-50% (less if it causes large temperature changes, more if you can manage to get it close) and add a little salt. The recommended dose is available from a forum search here or any other reputable aquarium site (not looking to cure by salt, but it will stress the pathogen). Spare the chemicals. Unless you can actually diagnose a disease you're far more likely to cause your fish stress than the pathogen, which can weaken their immune systems and make the problem worse. No doctor prescribes medicine without a diagnosis. Take exceptionally good care of your water and keep offering food and the fish are very likely to heal themselves.

Peroxide is relatively harmless in low doses, but still I would not repeat that.

#16 al10

al10
  • NANFA Guest
  • North Carolina

Posted 25 November 2014 - 09:19 PM

Ok if someone replies. Will post pics of the plants and such, one water luttuce head has grown another head, the ruch/hairgrass is definitly not hairgrass you can find out if you post, and I made a hanging basket for the first plant.

#17 al10

al10
  • NANFA Guest
  • North Carolina

Posted 25 November 2014 - 09:23 PM

Sorry didn't see your post.
Ok I can't do a pwc till the morning because my bathroom backs up to my brothers room and my faucet is really loud and wakes him up, so I will do a pwc tomorrow and a small one every day after for a week or so, the bettafix is tea tree oil, I put one drop in the breederbox mostly for the fins and to prevent infections, I have frozen bloodworms, I am guessing that they will be better while they are sick?

#18 al10

al10
  • NANFA Guest
  • North Carolina

Posted 25 November 2014 - 09:34 PM

Also should I take them out of the breederbox?

#19 al10

al10
  • NANFA Guest
  • North Carolina

Posted 26 November 2014 - 08:45 AM

Ok so i took all fish exept the 2 least killis out because I want them in anothertank so I don't want to have to drain the whole tank to catch them.
Should I put the ghost shrimp in the tank too?

#20 gerald

gerald
  • Global Moderator

Posted 26 November 2014 - 10:37 AM

Fungus-looking stuff and/or fin-rot on recently-collected wild fish is VERY often Columnaris infection (aka Flavobacterium and Flexibacter). Collecting stress, crowding, low-oxygen, and loss of salt ions from the gills during collecting and transport can cause it to overwhelm the fish's immune system. Once the damage is done, it's difficult to cure. Learning how to catch, handle, and transport fish with minimal stress is the key to avoiding it.

If the only med you have used is salt, the ghost shrimp should be OK with that. Other meds may kill shrimp.

Gerald Pottern
-----------------------
Hangin' on the Neuse

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users