Photo

Membership in forum expires without notification?

11 replies to this topic

#1 gitano

gitano
  • NANFA Member

Posted 25 November 2014 - 08:28 PM

I just attempted to log in using my account name and password and was - to put it briefly - "not recognized". I decided to open an "new" account and found my previous name and password "available" and email account not "currently in use". Therefore, I had clearly been purged from the system. I would appreciate some sort of explanation. My paid NANFA membership doesn't expire until next year, and if forum accounts expire, it seems at least "friendly" to notify people if theirs is about to expire, and if I was "thrown off", it seems an explanation of why isn't too much to ask.

Paul Skvorc
AKA "gitano"

#2 Isaac Szabo

Isaac Szabo
  • NANFA Member
  • Marble Falls, AR

Posted 25 November 2014 - 08:41 PM

http://forum.nanfa.o...es-login-names/

There have been many notifications about this recent issue on the forum as well as the NANFA facebook page.

#3 gitano

gitano
  • NANFA Member

Posted 25 November 2014 - 09:03 PM

Got it. Mea culpa.

Paul

#4 gitano

gitano
  • NANFA Member

Posted 25 November 2014 - 09:08 PM

However, I am still a NANFA "guest". Were the NANFA memberships lost as well?

Paul

#5 Isaac Szabo

Isaac Szabo
  • NANFA Member
  • Marble Falls, AR

Posted 25 November 2014 - 09:20 PM

Yes, Michael has to do that manually. I'm sure he will see this and fix your status sometime soon.

#6 Michael Wolfe

Michael Wolfe
  • Board of Directors
  • North Georgia, Oconee River Drainage

Posted 25 November 2014 - 09:50 PM

Hey Paul sorry about that... like Isaac said, we had a big crash... and unfortunately the restore point (I know this is terrible) was July 2013.

Anyway, I see you here on the November membership report that I am using to try to fix stuff. Unfortunately, that does mean about 22 NANFA members that were forum members lost their login... and I cannot fix it until people do just what you did... re-log in and re-establish an account.

Thanks for coming back and thanks for posting your real name... helps me get these things connected. You'll be a member again in a few minutes (you may have to log out and log back in)
Either write something worth reading or do something worth writing. - Benjamin Franklin

#7 littlen

littlen
  • NANFA Member
  • Washington, D.C.

Posted 25 November 2014 - 10:19 PM

Is it possible for [all of the] old topics and posts by members be re-linked to their member account? I seem to have lost a majority of my posts---and I'm sure most of them were within the last several months. I just found that searching for some of my old posts was in vain as I was only able to find them by manually searching (and remember topics that I posted in)--only to see that they now register as "Guest_littlen_* "

Not a huge deal if they are lost for good or are unable to be linked, but it was helpful to redirect new forum users to replies to frequently asked questioned that I've already written.

A big thanks to everyone who has been working hard to restore all that was lost!!
Nick L.

#8 Michael Wolfe

Michael Wolfe
  • Board of Directors
  • North Georgia, Oconee River Drainage

Posted 25 November 2014 - 11:38 PM

I don't think any were "really" lost... I think they are all there... but in the (frustrating) format of "Guest_yourname_*".

And yes, we know how to link them all back together... but it has to be done in the SQL database and that is not my strong suit... but Sajjad is working on it... I can do it manually, but not for 4000 forum members... I just got the approximate 200 NANFA Members all linked up again and with NANFA Member numbers back on our accounts.

Linking the old posts back to your current name is next on the agenda.
Either write something worth reading or do something worth writing. - Benjamin Franklin

#9 littlen

littlen
  • NANFA Member
  • Washington, D.C.

Posted 26 November 2014 - 06:58 AM

YeeHawwwwwwwww! That sounds like a daunting task to say it nicely. Kind of like when your computer crashes and you lose all your music downloads?
Nick L.

#10 gitano

gitano
  • NANFA Member

Posted 27 November 2014 - 03:58 PM

I've faced this problem four times in the past 13 years on a website (forum) I own. It is a nightmare. You have my heart-felt sympathy Michael Wolfe as you wade through the morass of 'reconstruction'!

Paul

#11 Matt DeLaVega

Matt DeLaVega
  • Forum Staff
  • Ohio

Posted 28 November 2014 - 04:56 PM

I've faced this problem four times in the past 13 years on a website (forum) I own. It is a nightmare. You have my heart-felt sympathy Michael Wolfe as you wade through the morass of 'reconstruction'!

Paul

Any suggestions? Can you give us any of your knowledge?

The member formerly known as Skipjack

#12 gitano

gitano
  • NANFA Member

Posted 03 December 2014 - 11:15 PM

Not really, I'm sorry to say, as the software I use for one is "Yet Another Forum", and the other is "vBulletin". Neither 'translate' to 'IP Board' I'm afraid. For me (us), it was just a long, laborious slog.

Paul

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users