GOPRO

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 brannon67

brannon67
  • NANFA Guest
  • USA

Posted 04 December 2014 - 04:32 PM

How many of you guys have and use a GoPro camera? Im thinking about one to get into video, with my still photography addiction.....Do they make good underwater housings for them?

#2 FishGuyJosh

FishGuyJosh
  • Regional Rep

Posted 04 December 2014 - 05:54 PM

The standard GoPro camera comes with the housing. I'm a novice when it comes to video and photography. So it works great fro my needs. It takes a while to get aiming down, but you can always purchase the LCD screen mount to allow you to see what you're shooting.
FishGuyJosh

#3 brannon67

brannon67
  • NANFA Guest
  • USA

Posted 04 December 2014 - 06:24 PM

Cool, I may just get one and play with it. Im into still, but it would not hurt to shoot some vid as well....

#4 Michael Wolfe

Michael Wolfe
  • Board of Directors
  • North Georgia, Oconee River Drainage

Posted 04 December 2014 - 07:04 PM

I like mine and use it quite a bit... shot the hellbender video with it...

have also posted it in place to get video like this

Either write something worth reading or do something worth writing. - Benjamin Franklin

#5 brannon67

brannon67
  • NANFA Guest
  • USA

Posted 04 December 2014 - 07:20 PM

Cool, thanks for sharing. Im going to have to pick one up.

#6 centrarchid

centrarchid
  • NANFA Guest

Posted 31 December 2014 - 09:32 AM

I just acquired a GoPro Hero3 White. Will be trying to deploy it for some time lapse action. Anyone played with the time lapse option underwater? Low light levels are my concern so far.
Find ways for people not already interested in natives to value them.

#7 Michael Wolfe

Michael Wolfe
  • Board of Directors

Posted 31 December 2014 - 09:48 AM

I used it to document an aquarium build (one picture every minute while we worked on the tank all day)... it worked great for that, but was a regularly lit day. Video has worked out for me in just normal light conditions both indoors (normally lit aquariums) and out. But electrons are cheap... just dunk it and find out.
Either write something worth reading or do something worth writing. - Benjamin Franklin

#8 Casper

Casper
  • NANFA Fellow
  • Chattanooga, TN alongside South Chickamauga Creek, just upstream of the mighty Tennessee River.

Posted 31 December 2014 - 11:06 AM

GoPro.
This is why i love Tennessee.
Check out Mikeisi's other compilations. Stunning.
Casper Cox
Chattanooga, near the TN Divide on BlueFishRidge overlooking South Chickamauga Creek.

#9 centrarchid

centrarchid
  • NANFA Guest

Posted 31 December 2014 - 12:12 PM

I am uploading a file now although not so sexy as those earlier in the thread. I think I will be able to see larvae with the camera with a modest increase in lighting! Base lighting levels I have are roughly that of an office. The camera has a depth of field like the human eye. It is also small enough to avoid stressing animals.

#10 centrarchid

centrarchid
  • NANFA Guest

Posted 31 December 2014 - 12:50 PM

This is starting point. Lighting and background will be manipulated to facilitate seeing.

#11 Michael Wolfe

Michael Wolfe
  • Board of Directors

Posted 31 December 2014 - 04:17 PM

That looks great for a first try... you certainly didn't stress out that first tank... they all just wanted to eat something... you could see their curiosity. The adult in the second tank was a little spooked. But you can easily overcome that by mounting the GoPro on a "hang over the side of the tank" contraption of some sort. That's what I did for some of my in tank videos and even my wary warmouth overcame his fears pretty quickly. There is a feature on the GoPro that lets you change which side is up (electronically) so that even though you have the camera hanging upside down the video comes out right side up. That is very useful for hanging if over the side of a tank.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users