Overstocked or Good?

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 Sean Phillips

Sean Phillips
  • NANFA Member
  • Allegheny River Drainage, Southwest PA

Posted 06 December 2014 - 03:32 PM

My 180G (72x24x24) should be coming in about a month or so and the stock is going to be one of these two options that I feel have a very similar bioload. I just want to double check with everyone that I'm not overstocked and this is a good amount of fish. I'd be doing 33-40% weekly water changes on this tank with filtration being just a TON of large sponge filters (probably around 4). I already am growing out a lot of fish that'll need to go in this tank due to the fact they get large)

Stock 1)
1 Green Sunfish (Female) already have)
6 Creek Chubs (already have 3 and I'd get another 3)
1 White Sucker (already have)
1 Yellow Bullhead (already have)
1 Gibbiceps Pleco (already have, I know it's not native but it's one of my favorite fish and I'm pretty sure it can take pretty low temps, plus it'll clean algae)

Stock 2)
1 Green Sunfish (Female)
3 Creek Chubs
3 Yellow Perch (if I can find a source)
1 White Sucker
1 Yellow Bullhead
1 Gibbiceps Pleco

PS, does anyone know of a source to get Yellow Perch at 2" or less? I've heard that's a good size to obtain them at in order for them to adjust well to aquaria. I kept 3 for a while but they all died from swim bladder defects and I'd like to give it another try. If nobody knows of a source, does anyone have yellow perch of any size in their tanks now that are fairly active that they'd be willing to sell to me?
Sean Phillips - Pine Creek Watershed - Allegheny River Drainage

#2 Matt DeLaVega

Matt DeLaVega
  • Forum Staff
  • Ohio

Posted 06 December 2014 - 09:52 PM

Not overstocked. IMO not even close.

https://www.jonesfis...nt/yellow-perch Jones has yellow perch that are around 4 inches. They have done fine for me in aquaria. Near Cincy.

Little closer to you is freshwater farms of ohio. http://fwfarms.com/p.../stocking-fish/

I get by Jones once in a while, and I can ship, but counting on me anytime soon would be hit or miss.

The member formerly known as Skipjack

#3 littlen

littlen
  • NANFA Member
  • Washington, D.C.

Posted 07 December 2014 - 11:34 AM

Agreed, not overstocked. Either option is good but I'd make 1 suggestion: Do away with adding the Pleco to either set-up. If you plan to keep it for it's algae eating abilities, get a small school of Stonerollers. That way you can keep your Pleco in a tropical set up with warmer water. It sounds like a win-win to me.

Any reason you prefer to have a bunch of sponge filters over a large, canister filter for example? I am not a secret agent for Fluval or Eheim, I swear.
Nick L.

#4 Sean Phillips

Sean Phillips
  • NANFA Member

Posted 07 December 2014 - 03:44 PM

Agreed, not overstocked. Either option is good but I'd make 1 suggestion: Do away with adding the Pleco to either set-up. If you plan to keep it for it's algae eating abilities, get a small school of Stonerollers. That way you can keep your Pleco in a tropical set up with warmer water. It sounds like a win-win to me.

Any reason you prefer to have a bunch of sponge filters over a large, canister filter for example? I am not a secret agent for Fluval or Eheim, I swear.

The reason I'm adding the pleco is it's outgrowing the 75 it's in and it's my parents' favorite fish which is the only reason they're letting me get a 180G (I'll be working on a 3,000ish gallon once I'm out of school and have my own place :) ). IME sponge filters are just as good as a canister and they're much more cost effective. Plus they'll add increased flow for the chubs without to much flow for the pleco.

#5 Sean Phillips

Sean Phillips
  • NANFA Member

Posted 07 December 2014 - 03:49 PM

Not overstocked. IMO not even close.

https://www.jonesfis...nt/yellow-perch Jones has yellow perch that are around 4 inches. They have done fine for me in aquaria. Near Cincy.

Little closer to you is freshwater farms of ohio. http://fwfarms.com/p.../stocking-fish/

I get by Jones once in a while, and I can ship, but counting on me anytime soon would be hit or miss.

Alright, thanks! I might order from one of those places. If not I might go up to erie in the early spring and try to catch some small perch. If I'm not close to overstocked could I go with option 2 with 5 perch instead of 3 or would that be to many in addition to the other fish?

#6 Matt DeLaVega

Matt DeLaVega
  • Forum Staff
  • Ohio

Posted 07 December 2014 - 03:59 PM

I think you just need to try it out.

The member formerly known as Skipjack

#7 littlen

littlen
  • NANFA Member
  • Washington, D.C.

Posted 07 December 2014 - 05:00 PM

Sean, there really isn't any linear flow created by a sponge filter. The minimal movement is upwards. The chubs would prefer directional flow--as they would experience in nature. So without a mechanical pump [to create any water movement] you will have minimal flow. Believe it or not, a lot of "Plecos" or loricariidae species of sucker mouth cats live in moderate flow. Those mouths do a great job holding on in moving water. So some flow wouldn't hurt your Sailfin if you did indeed add it to your 180.

I agree 100% that a sponge filters are very efficient biological filters and are cheap. I'm certainly not trying to talk you out of using them.
Nick L.

#8 Sean Phillips

Sean Phillips
  • NANFA Member

Posted 10 December 2014 - 08:06 PM

Couple quick chub questions when you guys get a chance.

1) Is it normal that I got my creek chubs back in August at 4.5-5.5" and they're only 6-7" now, is that normal growth with twice daily feedings and 50% WCs 1-2 times per week?
2) When I get some more chubs (probably around early January) I'll be fishing for them (hopefully not through the ice :) ). I've caught some fish in that collection spot that were 10-12" and very bulky, would it be ok to add them with my 6-7" chubs after quarantine or would there be aggression?
3) Just now 2 of my 3 chubs are displaying a behavior I haven't seen since a few days after I got them, two will swim in circles around the tank and "shiver" rapidly next to each other before swimming away. The two doing this also have different coloration where their lateral stripe isn't visible, their scales are darker, and the back of their operculum is jet-black. They are also being more aggressive to the chub not doing this. Any thoughts?
Attached File  image.jpg   126.29KB   3 downloads
4) From August to October my chubs were constantly handfeeding and were scared of absolutely nothing around them. Now after not handfeeding for a bit over a month, they refuse to and they're slightly more skittish oddly, they're still pretty bold fish but not as much as when I got them. Any ideas how to get them to handfeed again and how to get their "confidence" up?

#9 Michael Wolfe

Michael Wolfe
  • Board of Directors
  • North Georgia, Oconee River Drainage

Posted 10 December 2014 - 10:10 PM

They don't like you anymore. They like each other.
Either write something worth reading or do something worth writing. - Benjamin Franklin

#10 Sean Phillips

Sean Phillips
  • NANFA Member

Posted 11 December 2014 - 06:58 AM

They don't like you anymore. They like each other.

Lol.

#11 Michael Wolfe

Michael Wolfe
  • Board of Directors
  • North Georgia, Oconee River Drainage

Posted 11 December 2014 - 07:35 AM

Although funny I think that really is the answer to question 3 & 4.

I can't answer for growth rate other than to say if you have fish that are growing two inches in less than half a year, congratulation. I don't know what normal is for creek chubs but I think it sounds pretty good if they were Nocomis.

And your second question I would just say don't di it. 10-12 if fully adlt size for creek chub and older fish never adapt to aquarium lif as well. Get som more 5 inches and grow em up if you want more. You are adding length to them with your current husbandry. Everyone will be happier that way.
Either write something worth reading or do something worth writing. - Benjamin Franklin

#12 Sean Phillips

Sean Phillips
  • NANFA Member

Posted 11 December 2014 - 08:04 AM

Ok, thanks! Maybe if I'm lucky they'll spawn for me in the spring.

#13 Josh Blaylock

Josh Blaylock
  • Board of Directors
  • Central Kentucky

Posted 11 December 2014 - 09:53 AM

I've seen crazy growth rate in some shiners before, especially Luxilus. I've never kept creek chubs, but I don't think the growth rate is abnormal.

Josh Blaylock - Central KY
NANFA on Facebook

KYCREEKS - KRWW - KWA

I hope to have God on my side, but I must have Kentucky.

- Abraham Lincoln, 1861

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users