Darters and white sand.

• Please log in to reply
23 replies to this topic

#1 cjohns

cjohns
  • NANFA Guest
  • Kentucky

Posted 03 January 2015 - 10:46 AM

Just finished my 72 gallon bow front and it's up and running. I used white sand as the substrate. I'm still undecided on the stock list. Originally it was going to be home to sunfish but darters are definitely my favorite native fish. My question is how do darters colors react to white sand? I definitely don't want a bunch of washed out fish.
20L River manifold
36 Gallon bow front stream
72 Gallon bow front

#2 gerald

gerald
  • Global Moderator
  • Wake Forest, North Carolina

Posted 03 January 2015 - 10:56 AM

Depends on what else is in the tank. White sand and nothing else: yeah, they will probably fade out, trying to blend in with the sand. But if there's larger dark rocks, wood, tree leaves, plants, etc to make the habitat more complex, then the white sand may not matter much. Frequent feedings with a good variety of food is the most important factor in maintaining darter color, IME.

Gerald Pottern
-----------------------
Hangin' on the Neuse
"Taxonomy is the diaper used to organize the mess of evolution into discrete packages" - M.Sandel

#3 littlen

littlen
  • NANFA Member
  • Washington, D.C.

Posted 03 January 2015 - 10:59 AM

Your suspicions are correct. Bottom dwelling fish on a light substrate will generally be paler as a response, but it isn't always the case or the rule. Depending on what species you put in there--like your beefy male Snubnose from your other post---it may not really matter. As you know, our natives aren't always expressing their full, true, colors. At least males, anyway. But having a species that has a dark background color will still make for an interesting look being on lightly colored sand.

I'm not positive, but I think member, "NotCousteau" has some great looking Rainbow darters kept on sand and they are not 'bleached'-looking at all. Perhaps you can find that thread somewhere on here for reference.
Nick L.

#4 cjohns

cjohns
  • NANFA Guest
  • Kentucky

Posted 03 January 2015 - 11:44 AM

It could definitely use some flat dark rocks to break up all the white. Might even remove it all together if I decide to do with darters.

http://forum.nanfa.o..._20#entry125007
20L River manifold
72 Gallon bow front

#5 cjohns

cjohns
  • NANFA Guest
  • Kentucky

Posted 03 January 2015 - 11:48 AM

Your suspicions are correct. Bottom dwelling fish on a light substrate will generally be paler as a response, but it isn't always the case or the rule. Depending on what species you put in there--like your beefy male Snubnose from your other post---it may not really matter. As you know, our natives aren't always expressing their full, true, colors. At least males, anyway. But having a species that has a dark background color will still make for an interesting look being on lightly colored sand.

I'm not positive, but I think member, "NotCousteau" has some great looking Rainbow darters kept on sand and they are not 'bleached'-looking at all. Perhaps you can find that thread somewhere on here for reference.

I'll have To look for that thread.
20L River manifold
72 Gallon bow front

#6 littlen

littlen
  • NANFA Member
  • Washington, D.C.

Posted 03 January 2015 - 11:53 AM

Jackpot!

http://forum.nanfa.o...rainbow +darter
Nick L.

#7 littlen

littlen
  • NANFA Member
  • Washington, D.C.

Posted 03 January 2015 - 11:59 AM

Not the exact post I was looking for, but a picture of the tank/fish that I was thinking of. If they see this, perhaps they can link you to the other pics or share additional ones with you.

Regardless, it is a unique look. I'd say go for it.
Nick L.

#8 cjohns

cjohns
  • NANFA Guest
  • Kentucky

Posted 03 January 2015 - 12:03 PM

Not the exact post I was looking for, but a picture of the tank/fish that I was thinking of. If they see this, perhaps they can link you to the other pics or share additional ones with you.

Regardless, it is a unique look. I'd say go for it.

Yes definitely unique! I Think I might try and pull it off. Do you know if bluespotted sunfish and darters would do ok together. Maybe I can have the best of both worlds.
20L River manifold
72 Gallon bow front

#9 mikez

mikez
  • NANFA Guest

Posted 03 January 2015 - 12:46 PM

I don't know about darters but I can say that bluespotted sunfish are the number one worst natives for showing their natural color in captivity. The difference from what you see in your net and what you see in your tank is shocking. I'd guess a white sand bottom would wash them out completely.
Mike Zaborowski
I don't know, maybe it was the roses.

#10 Sean Phillips

Sean Phillips
  • NANFA Member
  • Allegheny River Drainage, Southwest PA

Posted 03 January 2015 - 01:19 PM

I keep a variety of darters with on a light sand substrate. My male Variegate is just as colorful as when. I caught him and the color on him is great. My male Greenside also looks pretty good.
Sean Phillips - Pine Creek Watershed - Allegheny River Drainage

#11 cjohns

cjohns
  • NANFA Guest
  • Kentucky

Posted 03 January 2015 - 01:23 PM

I don't know about darters but I can say that bluespotted sunfish are the number one worst natives for showing their natural color in captivity. The difference from what you see in your net and what you see in your tank is shocking. I'd guess a white sand bottom would wash them out completely.

Well there goes that plan!!...lol
20L River manifold
72 Gallon bow front

#12 cjohns

cjohns
  • NANFA Guest
  • Kentucky

Posted 03 January 2015 - 01:27 PM

I keep a variety of darters with on a light sand substrate. My male Variegate is just as colorful as when. I caught him and the color on him is great. My male Greenside also looks pretty good.

Good to know. How long have you had them in there?
20L River manifold
72 Gallon bow front

#13 Michael Wolfe

Michael Wolfe
  • Board of Directors
  • North Georgia, Oconee River Drainage

Posted 03 January 2015 - 02:19 PM

That is most likely true if you are looking for the dark black with the sky blue spots... but there is so much more to these fish. They are a great little fish in an aquarium and would likely be fine with darters.
Either write something worth reading or do something worth writing. - Benjamin Franklin

#14 Sean Phillips

Sean Phillips
  • NANFA Member
  • Allegheny River Drainage, Southwest PA

Posted 03 January 2015 - 03:01 PM

Good to know. How long have you had them in there?

I collected them in mid October so about 2.5 months.
Sean Phillips - Pine Creek Watershed - Allegheny River Drainage

#15 cjohns

cjohns
  • NANFA Guest
  • Kentucky

Posted 03 January 2015 - 04:55 PM

That is most likely true if you are looking for the dark black with the sky blue spots... but there is so much more to these fish. They are a great little fish in an aquarium and would likely be fine with darters.

Everglades Pygmy Sunfish might be a good choice as well. I should be able to get a few in February!
20L River manifold
72 Gallon bow front

#16 cjohns

cjohns
  • NANFA Guest
  • Kentucky

Posted 03 January 2015 - 04:56 PM

I collected them in mid October so about 2.5 months.

Then sounds like there color is going to stay...awesome.
20L River manifold
72 Gallon bow front

#17 Michael Wolfe

Michael Wolfe
  • Board of Directors
  • North Georgia, Oconee River Drainage

Posted 03 January 2015 - 08:44 PM

Everglades Pygmy Sunfish might be a good choice as well. I should be able to get a few in February!

Pygmy Sinfish are fun, but they are pretty much a species only kind of fish. Much better suited to a smaller, dedicated tank. This is a fish with an adult size in the one inch range and a pretty short lifespan.

I think the Dwarf Sunfish might be a much better fit for your tank.
Either write something worth reading or do something worth writing. - Benjamin Franklin

#18 cjohns

cjohns
  • NANFA Guest
  • Kentucky

Posted 03 January 2015 - 09:49 PM

Awww I see thanks!
20L River manifold
72 Gallon bow front

#19 littlen

littlen
  • NANFA Member
  • Washington, D.C.

Posted 04 January 2015 - 08:49 AM

I am unsure why others speak in such absolutes about Bluespotted sunnies being very washed out in captivity. A lot of the time, most native species stay washed out. I kept and bred them on white sand and frequently saw the males color up. I would be happy to share pictures of them with you. Regardless, just because a species isn't as colorful in your tank as it is in the wild doesn't mean it still wouldn't be a great specimen to keep! White sand, darters, and dwarf sunfish sounds good to me. Good luck.
Nick L.

#20 NotCousteau

NotCousteau
  • NANFA Guest
  • Minnesota

Posted 04 January 2015 - 02:09 PM

It's NotCousteau here! Just saw this thread. My darters stay pretty well colored up on light sand. They generally look better in the winter when the overall house temperature drops, but they look good in the summer, too.

Here are some pictures I took just right now of my rainbow and fantail darters (top two pictures) and two older pictures of my southern redbelly dace and a tank shot:

Attached Files

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users