2016 NANFA Calendar

• Please log in to reply
49 replies to this topic

#1 Josh Blaylock

Josh Blaylock
  • Board of Directors
  • Central Kentucky

Posted 12 January 2015 - 03:33 PM

After having a few discussions about this and proposing it to the BoD, Matt Knepley and I are happy to announce that NANFA would like to produce and sell native fish calendars for the 2016 year.

1. Yes, we are getting an early start.

2. What we need from you. Your photographs. There are some really talented photographers in NANFA. We are looking for photos that you will let us use for a calendar. We will credit each artist on the page with the photo. We would like a watermark free photo, but that's not a deal breaker.

3. We will be selling these through the web and hopefully at the convention too.

Think of this as a contribution to NANFA and to help further it's goals. As it does in our lives, so it goes with NANFA...inflation and rising costs. Believe it or not, NANFA doesn't make a lot of money off your membership, so we have to look to other methods of funding. Also, we are continually giving to our grant programs and other funding obligation, so help NANFA continue on its current path.

So if you have a particular photo that you are proud of, let it be known and shown it off. We're looking for all kinds of photos; underwater, in-tank, profile, just about anything. Also, we're planning to have diverse species, so if it's native to the US, we may use it. Please respond here, PM Matt Knepley or myself and let us know if you have photos you'd let us use.

Josh Blaylock - Central KY
NANFA on Facebook

KYCREEKS - KRWW - KWA

I hope to have God on my side, but I must have Kentucky.

- Abraham Lincoln, 1861

#2 mattknepley

mattknepley
  • NANFA Member
  • Smack-dab between the Savannah and the Saluda.

Posted 12 January 2015 - 05:15 PM

I am really excited to be working on this project with Josh! He said it well above, so I'll just add this much:

First of all, this project has potential to be a fantastic showcase of our native fishes, and those of us who foster their well-being through our participation in NANFA. Not only a showcase for those of us who already have an affinity for our native fishes, but an opportunity to take our NANFA love to the street, fishroom, den, office, classroom, cubicle, mail case, truck cab, public house counter; in short, all over the dang place!

Secondly, it has potential to be a really good source of revenue. I assure you Josh and I ran several scenarios and numbers over, and found something we felt was worthwhile. The BOD agreed.

So please send us your photos, and then buy these calendars! :) Josh and I are very excited about this. I am so hoping this turns into an annual thing our members look forward to being part of.
Matt Knepley
"No thanks, a third of a gopher would merely arouse my appetite..."

#3 Isaac Szabo

Isaac Szabo
  • NANFA Member
  • Marble Falls, AR

Posted 12 January 2015 - 07:29 PM

Sounds good. Thanks for taking this on guys. Just let me know if you want to use one of mine.

#4 Sean Phillips

Sean Phillips
  • NANFA Member
  • Allegheny River Drainage, Southwest PA

Posted 12 January 2015 - 08:02 PM

I'm not the best photographer but this Greenside of mine happened to pose very well at the right time with my camera focusing correctly so this is probably the best picture of a fish I've ever taken, I'd love to see it in the calendar but there's definitely better photographers here than me.

image.jpg
Sean Phillips - Pine Creek Watershed - Allegheny River Drainage

#5 BenCantrell

BenCantrell
  • Sebastian, FL

Posted 12 January 2015 - 09:29 PM

This one is free of charge. You're welcome!

Posted Image

#6 Josh Blaylock

Josh Blaylock
  • Board of Directors
  • Central Kentucky

Posted 12 January 2015 - 09:36 PM

This one is free of charge. You're welcome!

Posted Image

Cover photo

Sent from my Nexus 5

NANFA on Facebook

KYCREEKS - KRWW - KWA

- Abraham Lincoln, 1861

#7 zooxanthellae

zooxanthellae
  • NANFA Member
  • North Carolina

Posted 13 January 2015 - 12:22 AM

So if you have a particular photo that you are proud of, let it be known and shown it off. We're looking for all kinds of photos; underwater, in-tank, profile, just about anything. Also, we're planning to have diverse species, so if it's native to the US, we may use it. Please respond here, PM Matt Knepley or myself and let us know if you have photos you'd let us use.

I don't know that I can compete with Ben's photo, but here are my two favorites from last year:
Dormitator-maculatus.png
Lepomis-cyanellus.png

#8 FirstChAoS

FirstChAoS
  • Regional Rep

Posted 13 January 2015 - 01:02 AM

you can use any of mu photos you need to.

Fish suggestions:

SPRING: springfish or maybe a spring pygmy sunfish
SUMMER: Summer flounder
FALL: Fallfish
WINTER: Winter Flounder

JULY: Flagfish
OCTOBER: Halloween Darter
DECEMBER: Christmas Darter

#9 mattknepley

mattknepley
  • NANFA Member

Posted 13 January 2015 - 06:22 AM

C'mon Ben, we need cooperation here. You know that was supposed to be Mr. February in our "Men of NANFA" beefcake parallel to this project! Since the cat's out of the bag, we may as well reveal that the Men of NANFA beefcake calendar is also going to be scratch and sniff. (Eeeeeeeewwwww!) :)

But seriously, I really do appreciate the early interest we're receiving!
Matt Knepley

#10 Kanus

Kanus
  • Board of Directors

Posted 13 January 2015 - 06:37 AM

I think this is a fantastic idea and am glad to contribute! I'll try to pull a few photos together to send your way!

Derek Wheaton

On a mountain overlooking the North Fork Roanoke River on one side, the New River Valley on the other, and a few minutes away from the James River watershed...the good life...

Enchanting Ectotherms

My Personal Facebook (mostly fish related, if you'd like to add me)

#11 trygon

trygon
  • NANFA Member
  • Knoxville, Tennessee

Posted 13 January 2015 - 08:38 AM

Sounds good to me too. What are the photo specifications, file type, size, resolution, etc. When is the submission deadline and how many can be submitted per photographer? You guys are going to have a whole lot of fun picking twelve or so images. Good luck.
Bryce Gibson
There are sharks in every ocean...except Billy Ocean.

#12 littlen

littlen
  • NANFA Member
  • Washington, D.C.

Posted 13 January 2015 - 08:46 AM

To add to Bryce's questions.......is this first edition limited to inland, FW species?
Nick L.

#13 mattknepley

mattknepley
  • NANFA Member

Posted 13 January 2015 - 10:12 AM

Bryce, I'll double-check the technical questions for you and get an answer (fairly) soon. Right now there is no deadline, but I'm guessing we'll have what we need before too long, so I wouldn't wait if you have photos you know you want to submit. Josh and I are keen to put this together quickly, and with the wealth of images we know are out there, we aren't expecting to have to work too long before we are having a rough time making culls. :) We don't have any limit on number of submissions at this point.

Nick, this is not limited to inland, FW fishes. I do suspect they'll account for the vast majority of photos used, but I've seen some salt water stuff I love, too. I imagine the greyest area would be a really off-shore species, or something from the fringe areas of "North America".

As has been pointed out a few times already, Josh and I are going to have a blast trying to limit ourselves to just a few pictures! Honestly, it's a privilege.
Matt Knepley

#14 mattknepley

mattknepley
  • NANFA Member

Posted 13 January 2015 - 01:11 PM

To answer Bryce's technical questions; the printer prefers pdfs; there is a minimum 300 dpi requirement; fonts and images should be imbedded; and a file size of 8.75 x 11.25 for bleed.

To give you a feel for where we are now, I have 23 photos from four or five different individuals. 24 if we count Senor Beefcake's submission. ;)Several of these have been volunteered to us already, some are ones I remembered from past posts and "mined" the forum for. I know there's more out there, so please, keep sending stuff in! All of these are photos I would be proud to have in the calendar, but not one of them is a lock, either. At this point I have no idea what Josh has on hand, so we're wide open on this!
Matt Knepley

#15 Josh Blaylock

Josh Blaylock
  • Board of Directors
  • Central Kentucky

Posted 14 January 2015 - 09:25 AM

Brian, I still have your photos and they are part of those that have been entered. Thanks again for your support.

NANFA on Facebook

KYCREEKS - KRWW - KWA

- Abraham Lincoln, 1861

#16 Sean Phillips

Sean Phillips
  • NANFA Member
  • Allegheny River Drainage, Southwest PA

Posted 14 January 2015 - 11:53 AM

Another picture of mine, same tank as the other darter. This one is a female Banded.image.jpg
Sean Phillips - Pine Creek Watershed - Allegheny River Drainage

#17 mattknepley

mattknepley
  • NANFA Member

Posted 14 January 2015 - 05:18 PM

Great pictures, everybody!

To answer a couple questions:

I have double-checked with the publisher and pdf is what they prefer for the photos, but jpeg is acceptable, too. Other formats can be used, but these are the two they prefer.

I was asked about Drop Box. Here is my overly lengthy reply to that pm. Yes, I have Drop Box, and I have set up a folder for the calendar. I am ashamed to admit how tech-ignant I am, but until Tech Support (AKA my son) gets back from dinner and shopping with his girlfriend, I will be unable to set up the folder for sharing. He'll be home this evening, and will team viewer (he lives in FLA) with me to get it just the way we need it. It might take a bit, girls are always a priority, but once I'm done trying his patience we'll have this up and running tonight.

Brian, I also have your pics.

IDs. Ugh, this may be tricky. If there is any question on a specie in a photo, we'll probably wind up leaving it out. At least that's my take on it. We do have an EXCELLENT sunfish picture, but it does look hybrid, to my untrained eye. Since we're really concerned about appearance, reputation, and knowledge I think we should only go with what we have a bullet-proof id on.

Feel free to pm with any questions, and I have already contacted a couple of you with my own thoughts on a couple things. :)
Matt Knepley

#18 Isaac Szabo

Isaac Szabo
  • NANFA Member
  • Marble Falls, AR

Posted 14 January 2015 - 08:12 PM

Some good submissions already. I think this is going to be a nice addition to the organization. I'll go ahead and submit one of my recent favorites. If selected, I can send one of you guys a high resolution version.

Posted Image

#19 mattknepley

mattknepley
  • NANFA Member

Posted 14 January 2015 - 08:46 PM

Nice!

Also, I have Drop Box set up so folks can just, well, drop stuff in the box. I just your email. Pm me with the one you are most likely to use so I can send you an invite, and keep an eye on your spam folder.
Matt Knepley

#20 Casper

Casper
  • NANFA Fellow
  • Chattanooga, TN alongside South Chickamauga Creek, just upstream of the mighty Tennessee River.

Posted 14 January 2015 - 09:21 PM

My favorite Tangerine.
Which month is worthy?
Casper Cox
Chattanooga, near the TN Divide on BlueFishRidge overlooking South Chickamauga Creek.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users