2016 NANFA Calendar

• Please log in to reply
49 replies to this topic

#21 Matt DeLaVega

Matt DeLaVega
  • Forum Staff
  • Ohio

Posted 14 January 2015 - 09:59 PM

Holy heck Isaac! I need to stuff my eyeballs back into their sockets! Wow.

The member formerly known as Skipjack

#22 Michael Wolfe

Michael Wolfe
  • Board of Directors
  • North Georgia, Oconee River Drainage

Posted 15 January 2015 - 10:07 AM

Discussion of Sunfish moved to new thread in the subforum
Sunfishes and Basses
Either write something worth reading or do something worth writing. - Benjamin Franklin

#23 Isaac Szabo

Isaac Szabo
  • NANFA Member
  • Marble Falls, AR

Posted 15 January 2015 - 11:41 AM

Ha! Thanks Matt.

#24 Kanus

Kanus
  • Board of Directors

Posted 15 January 2015 - 08:51 PM

This may be premature to ask, but are there going to be captions for each photo describing the fish's behavior/significance/interesting tidbits? Also, this could prove to be tricky, but I'd like to suggest possibly contacting the publisher of the Peterson field guide to see if they would allow the use of a few of their maps. I think a small inset image of the species range would look mighty fancy in the corner of the photo. I may be thinking a little TOO fancy here, so forgive me if that's the case, or you all don't think we could get permission and/or afford it.

Derek Wheaton

On a mountain overlooking the North Fork Roanoke River on one side, the New River Valley on the other, and a few minutes away from the James River watershed...the good life...

Enchanting Ectotherms

My Personal Facebook (mostly fish related, if you'd like to add me)

#25 Kanus

Kanus
  • Board of Directors

Posted 15 January 2015 - 08:53 PM

Also is there any thought on attempting to push this to a wider audience? American Fisheries Society chapters, Master Naturalist chapters, USFWS or USFS? Bass Pro or Cabelas? Again, this could be way premature, or considerations for a future calendar cycle if this run goes well, but I'm really excited about what this could do as far as getting our name out.

Derek Wheaton

On a mountain overlooking the North Fork Roanoke River on one side, the New River Valley on the other, and a few minutes away from the James River watershed...the good life...

Enchanting Ectotherms

My Personal Facebook (mostly fish related, if you'd like to add me)

#26 Matt DeLaVega

Matt DeLaVega
  • Forum Staff
  • Ohio

Posted 15 January 2015 - 09:10 PM

Derek, The map is a super cool idea.

I have also been thinking about getting the calendar out there. I had thought about nature centers, state park gift shops, and Amazon. I think it is a good idea, and has real potential with a calendar. A marketing committee could work to get it out there at a wholesale price. May only make us a buck per copy, but the exposure could be huge. And then again next year.

#27 littlen

littlen
  • NANFA Member
  • Washington, D.C.

Posted 16 January 2015 - 07:28 AM

Derek--I would think if someone was willing to put in the time---they could easily (and I use that word lightly) create original graphics or range map(s) for the 12 species pictured in the calendar. However, I think we should be strategic in our calendar development and not put all our best ideas into the first design. Gotta have folks wanting the next, newer, and improved version! "2017 NANFA calendar, complete with scratch and sniff features!"..........."2018 NANFA calendar with roe samples"....."2019 NANFA calendar complete with 2 free activated carbon bags for your AquaClear!"........and the best for last, "2020 NANFA calendar with a FREE Green sunfish!"

But I do like all your ideas. I am optimistic for this calendar to be a hit, (much like I am for the Redskins to be a good team each year). Maybe it's the curse of being from the DC area? But at least we can all influence the calendar being successful.
Nick L.

#28 mattknepley

mattknepley
  • NANFA Member
  • Smack-dab between the Savannah and the Saluda.

Posted 16 January 2015 - 10:04 AM

Nick, you're in charge of roe collection & distribution! :)

I like the idea of adding value and increased marketing. Some things like the species description would probably be pretty doable this edition; with main limiting considerations being space, and whether or not it it would unacceptably increase costs to do so.

Regarding increased production, I really, really like that idea, and I think I can speak for Josh when I see us both envisioning utilizing the types of sales outlets that have been mentioned- a calendar or two down the road. This is, for me, the "baby-steps-this-is-what-you-get-for-opening-your-big-fat-trap" edition. I already have some idea how I'd like to see future calendars designed and marketed. But I want to have some slick previous edition(s) to show potential sales outlets and have a feel for the sales/distribution of such a critter on a smaller scale. I have happily volunteered to be in charge of shipping these bad boys, and have the pricing figured out small scale, and even then there are financial considerations concerning how the money to cover shipping arrives at the distributor (me) from NANFA.

This is not to squelch enthusiasm or keep people away from the project. I'm hoping this does really well, and that for the 2017 edition Josh and I can take our experience and recruit a team (ahem, ahem :) ) to help us pull off a really big production that we can approach a little less naively and starry-eyed than I feel I have entered this one. Also, I'd like a way to gauge sales based on experience so as to have an idea as to what we are actually going to do with what we raise. Are we going to pay for the next calendar with sales of this one? Are we going to sink it all into our (now) three grants? Are we going to purchase a habitat area to maintain? Send BoD to exotic locations on "business" trips?

Anyway, that's just a couple two cents from me. I am VERY, VERY appreciative of the participation and support we have been getting. Thank you!
Matt Knepley
"No thanks, a third of a gopher would merely arouse my appetite..."

#29 Matt DeLaVega

Matt DeLaVega
  • Forum Staff
  • Ohio

Posted 16 January 2015 - 11:29 AM

Financially, after the initial run, it would seem like setting up a specific NANFA calendar account would work very well. The proceeds from the first run go into the second, and so on and so forth. With hopes that over time the account would grow, and we could have discussion on how best to utilize the funds.

#30 Josh Blaylock

Josh Blaylock
  • Board of Directors
  • Central Kentucky

Posted 16 January 2015 - 11:42 AM

So, I wanted to jump in here and say a few things.

1: Thank you all for your help and donating images to this. I'm actually shocked that so many of you are 'excited' about this project.

2: Matt and I will try to be fair and even/equal on choosing photos. Please don't be offended on what photos we do/don't choose. If this is a success, perhaps we can get more involvement on the process going forward.

3. Derek: I like the way you are thinking. We could for sure try to incorporate some of those things in, going forward. I like the idea of the range maps. If we had permission to use them. Somebody who is good at editing would just have to superimpose the map photo over the fish image. The issue I see though is if we have a photo with multiple fish in it. I'd want to be consistent and I'm not sure how that would work.

4. I would like a line or two describing the photo/fish, and giving credit to the artist. Matt, can you check on this to see if/how this could be possible? Also, how does the publisher handle the back cover? Is there anything printed on the back? If we can do this (without additional cost) it would be nice to have some NANFA information on it.

5. Speaking of marketing, I think we'll stay low key for this first run. If we are successful, I see no reason why we couldn't try to market these at smaller/local places like: state parks, local fishing/bait stores, etc... I'm not sure about Bass Pro/other big box stores, I'm not sure how they operate.

Josh Blaylock - Central KY
NANFA on Facebook

KYCREEKS - KRWW - KWA

I hope to have God on my side, but I must have Kentucky.

- Abraham Lincoln, 1861

#31 Mike

Mike
  • Regional Rep
  • Indiana

Posted 16 January 2015 - 03:56 PM

Here are a few photos I took, I'm not as good as others on here but here they are anyway. Striped Shiner & Shortnose Sturgeon.

Attached Images

• DSC01000.JPG
  • DSC00888.JPG

Mike Berg
Northwest Indiana

#32 mattknepley

mattknepley
  • NANFA Member

Posted 16 January 2015 - 06:01 PM

4. I would like a line or two describing the photo/fish, and giving credit to the artist. Matt, can you check on this to see if/how this could be possible? Also, how does the publisher handle the back cover? Is there anything printed on the back? If we can do this (without additional cost) it would be nice to have some NANFA information on it.

I will try to have an answer on this by Monday.

MDlV-"Financially, after the initial run, it would seem like setting up a specific NANFA calendar account would work very well. The proceeds from the first run go into the second, and so on and so forth. With hopes that over time the account would grow, and we could have discussion on how best to utilize the funds."

I agree this is a good way to go about it.

Matt Knepley

#33 Michael Wolfe

Michael Wolfe
  • Board of Directors

Posted 16 January 2015 - 06:05 PM

I assume that y'all will have a large version of the NANFA logo on this thing somewhere and maybe several others (not that it has to be one on every month... but maybe).
Either write something worth reading or do something worth writing. - Benjamin Franklin

#34 Josh Blaylock

Josh Blaylock
  • Board of Directors
  • Central Kentucky

Posted 16 January 2015 - 06:13 PM

I assume that y'all will have a large version of the NANFA logo on this thing somewhere and maybe several others (not that it has to be one on every month... but maybe).

Cover photo for real. Can you get us the high res logo?

Sent from my Nexus 5

Josh Blaylock - Central KY
NANFA on Facebook

KYCREEKS - KRWW - KWA

I hope to have God on my side, but I must have Kentucky.

- Abraham Lincoln, 1861

#35 Michael Wolfe

Michael Wolfe
  • Board of Directors

Posted 16 January 2015 - 06:25 PM

yes I think so... and if not me, then for sure we can get it from the Snorkelmeister

#36 mattknepley

mattknepley
  • NANFA Member

Posted 19 January 2015 - 12:17 PM

Talked to the printers this morning.

We can "customize" a back cover with the NANFA logo and a write up about what we do and contact info for (most likely) less than $25; probably closer to $15 total.

We can add text to the photo for each month; a good place for common and scientific name and photographer credit. We can add text and images to boxes in the calendar grid that have dates. This is a good place for NANFA logos, grant deadlines, convention dates, et cetera. I do not believe there is an extra charge for this, but will double check.

We have some great photos so far, but the more the merrier!
Matt Knepley

#37 mattknepley

mattknepley
  • NANFA Member

Posted 27 January 2015 - 12:08 PM

Just wanted to give this a bump.

We have some great photos, but we could use even more. The pictures we have now are largely darters and cyprinids. Most other groups are very underrepresented by comparison. I might be mistaken, but I don't believe we have any catfish/madtoms, for example. Almost any other group you can name is short of examples, too. We need more than just a dozen or sixteen for the big "month" pictures; we would like at least two or three per month to insert into the "day" grids on the actual calendar.

We still need a high res logo.

I have been playing around with design, just learning to use the resources available. The printer will have new templates up on 1 February, and I really hope to put this in motion then. Josh and I really want to have these ready to go by convention time, and with enough pictures that is very doable. Pm me with your email if you have not already, and I will send you a drop box invite so you can place your photos in there.

Will be contacting several of you in the upcoming days. Thanks for your support in this endeavor!
Matt Knepley

#38 BenCantrell

BenCantrell
  • Sebastian, FL

Posted 27 January 2015 - 12:59 PM

I might be mistaken, but I don't believe we have any catfish/madtoms, for example.

channel catfish

DSC03489.JPG

mountain madtom

madtom_mountain.JPG

margined madtom

DSC02801.JPG

#39 BenCantrell

BenCantrell
  • Sebastian, FL

Posted 27 January 2015 - 01:03 PM

I have a ton of close up head shots of fish out of the water.  Would those be of interest?  I can dig up a bunch and send them to you Matt if you want.  I have a lot of bigger fish like gar, bowfin, suckers, crappie, etc.

fieryblack shiner

DSC02789.JPG

golden redhorse

DSC03202.JPG

northern pike

pic13.JPG

#40 mattknepley

mattknepley
  • NANFA Member

Posted 27 January 2015 - 01:45 PM

Thanks, Ben! These will definitely be considered. Bigger fish would be cool. I think fishing is a very valid use/appreciation of our native fishes,so I think these certainly have a place, or others like them.
Matt Knepley

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users