Any Experience With Pigment Extraction From Fish?

28 replies to this topic

#21 Guest_edbihary_*

Guest_edbihary_*
  • Guests

Posted 05 April 2007 - 11:38 PM

I was dead serious, for once! I guess the laughter I hear from stage left means it was a really stupid idea ? :idea:

I know your method is mathematically correct. I use the same method in calculating soil volumes all the time. The fact that the procedure is technically correct, is part of why it is so funny. Slicing that fish so thin... Perhaps it's something only an engineer could find so funny.

#22 Guest_fundulus_*

Guest_fundulus_*
  • Guests

Posted 06 April 2007 - 08:39 AM

The easy way to do a close approximation is simply to scan a lateral view of the fish and, using software such as Motic, trace the outline of the scanned image and times two you have an idea of the surface. How does one add on the dorsal surface that isn't in the scan? That's the problem that wrapping the fish in Bounty™ or saranwrap tries to solve.

#23 Guest_gerald_*

Guest_gerald_*
  • Guests

Posted 06 April 2007 - 09:38 AM

Is there some kind of flexible lacquer, latex paint, or something you could paint on the de-finned fish, then slit it open, peel off, photocopy, and measure area with either grid paper or planimeter ? would have to be a slightly elastic substance that would keep its shape/size after the peel-off process. ((Not too much wackier than irate's meat slicer calculus)). Gerald

#24 Guest_teleost_*

Guest_teleost_*
  • Guests

Posted 06 April 2007 - 10:14 AM

Is there some kind of flexible lacquer, latex paint, or something you could paint on the de-finned fish, then slit it open, peel off, photocopy, and measure area with either grid paper or planimeter ? would have to be a slightly elastic substance that would keep its shape/size after the peel-off process. ((Not too much wackier than irate's meat slicer calculus)). Gerald

It might need to be thinned a bit, but Plasti dip should do the trick.

#25 Guest_Irate Mormon_*

Guest_Irate Mormon_*
  • Guests

Posted 06 April 2007 - 04:41 PM

I agree with the meat slicer. Only problem would be losses in cutting and the tedious layout. Once losses were calculated you should expect repeatability but layout would be quite a hurdle to overcome.

If you freeze the fish first you won't get losses (e.g. guts squeezing out). I'm not sure I understand about the layout - all you have to do is measure the circumference of each piece and multiply by the width, which will be the same for each piece. You could stick a little piece of wood or something in each slice and ink the slice and roll it on a piece of paper, then measure between the marks the little piece of wood will make - that's your circumference. Still might be easier to use a piece of thread.

#26 Guest_teleost_*

Guest_teleost_*
  • Guests

Posted 06 April 2007 - 07:02 PM

If you freeze the fish first you won't get losses (e.g. guts squeezing out). I'm not sure I understand about the layout - all you have to do is measure the circumference of each piece and multiply by the width, which will be the same for each piece. You could stick a little piece of wood or something in each slice and ink the slice and roll it on a piece of paper, then measure between the marks the little piece of wood will make - that's your circumference. Still might be easier to use a piece of thread.

When I say layout, I mean preparation of cutting the slices. A small frozen darter seems about as difficult a piece of deli meat as possible to cut properly. I'm referring to the minor losses that are expected in any cutting operation that uses a rotating blade.

#27 Guest_Sean H_*

Guest_Sean H_*
  • Guests

Posted 07 April 2007 - 02:53 PM

How many sample's do you need run? We have several HPLC in my group and couple departmental HPLC's. I would be happy to run them for you.

#28 Guest_Irate Mormon_*

Guest_Irate Mormon_*
  • Guests

Posted 07 April 2007 - 10:29 PM

When I say layout, I mean preparation of cutting the slices. A small frozen darter seems about as difficult a piece of deli meat as possible to cut properly. I'm referring to the minor losses that are expected in any cutting operation that uses a rotating blade.

Ah, so!

#29 Guest_looks2ce_*

Guest_looks2ce_*
  • Guests

Posted 26 April 2007 - 09:18 AM

per geralds suggestion of a laying a film on the fish to peel it off I would offer this. http://www.dickblick.com/zz006/18a/ acrylic gel medium. I have used it to transfer images from paper onto the medium for various artistic effects. It brushes on easily and dries into a flexible filme. thickness it controlled by how many layers of gel medium you lay on. it would be easy enough to overlay the fish and then trim away excess.

Being a nonmathmatician, I would then trim it into flat pieces and lay it into an easily calcuable shape, but I'm sure someone else can come up with a more precise way.

.conal.

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users