Photo

Auction Items 2015 Convention

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 bbrown

bbrown
  • Regional Rep

Posted 26 February 2015 - 10:41 PM

The 2015 convention is just around the corner and I have a feeling there is a lot of good knowledge within the group, does anyone have any good ideas for auction items or sources for donations?  Maybe a feel for who has donated in the past or any contact info? 

#2 mattknepley

mattknepley
  • NANFA Member
  • Smack-dab between the Savannah and the Saluda.

Posted 27 February 2015 - 06:35 AM

Omega One has donated at least once in the past. http://www.omegasea.net/

I wrote them a thank you note for donating. One of their reps got ahold of me to ask if they could use it as a customer testimonial on their site. I might still have the contact info. Will see if I can find it.

If anyone has new-in-box type things they'd like to donate, where should they send 'em?
Matt Knepley
"No thanks, a third of a gopher would merely arouse my appetite..."

#3 Josh Blaylock

Josh Blaylock
  • Board of Directors
  • Central Kentucky

Posted 27 February 2015 - 07:47 AM

Brandon, here what I did.

I made a 'standardize' letter that I could use as the basis of my begging :)  I sent that out to many local/regional organizations that I felt would like to be involved.  The Nature Conservancy, KY State nature preserves, KY F&W, Kentucky Waterways Alliance, and other nature type organizations.  I was able to get a lot of donations like, books and things, from them and they were eager to donate.  I also thought of Kentucky based companies that are not nature affiliated that would like to donate.  I was able to get a local soft drink company (Ale-8-One) to give us a ton of soda.  I also tried to get a donation from Kentucky Fried Chicken, Mammoth Cave, Churchill Downs, etc...  So that may be one angle you can look into.

I also contacted fish product companies, like Matt suggested.  I started email or filling out the contact form for every major fish something supplier that I could think of and also go quite a few donations this way.  I had donations from Omega, Tetra, and a few others.  You may also contact local pet supply places and ask for donations.  I'd say the big box stores, PetSmart and such, likely will not donate, but the independents will.  Don't forget about our own Brian Zimmerman and Jonah's Aquarium.  You could also reach out to some seine companies, Memphis and Douglas (I  personally love my Douglas nets).

I also had donations from the members.  This was what I was not expecting, and what made the Kentucky auction so epic...and so long.  I knew a few members were bringing some auction items, but it ended up that tons of people brought tons of things, from fish to aquariums, and so much more.

Personally, I'm going to bring some Kentucky Geodes and I have a Freshwater Illustrated T-shirt (new) that I'm going to donate.  In case you need some assistance getting started here's the links to what I sent

Email letter:

https://drive.google...iew?usp=sharing

Also, remember to indicate that donating is tax deductible.

Tax Form:

https://drive.google...iew?usp=sharing

If you'd like for me to help you contact some of these, let's get a list together and I can contact some.

Josh Blaylock - Central KY
NANFA on Facebook

KYCREEKS - KRWW - KWA

I hope to have God on my side, but I must have Kentucky.

- Abraham Lincoln, 1861

#4 bbrown

bbrown
  • Regional Rep

Posted 27 February 2015 - 09:03 AM

Thanks for the advice, those are great resources and to be honest we can use all the help we can get.

auction items can be sent to:

Paddlefish Research Center
Oklahoma Department of Wildlife Conservation
61091 E 120 Rd
Miami, OK 74354

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users