Photo

fl springs trip

71 replies to this topic

#41 don212

don212
  • NANFA Member

Posted 07 March 2015 - 07:29 AM

Great Elassoma photos Casper!

Unfortunately that grass carp photo was taken from quite far away, so that's the best I could manage at color correction, but it was my sharpest shot of them. Life is rough when you don't have RAW files. I may start over with the original image and see if I can do better.

I was pretty amazed by how tolerant the birds were as well. It was either like they didn't know gators eat birds, or that (and I can't believe this!) they knew we weren't gators. I think we were every bit as stealthy and graceful in the water!

Also, I'm skeptical of how willing those park rangers would've been to let us go downstream, seeing as how they seemed to pull rules out of thin air when it came to how close we were allowed to approach the manatees. I was a bit irritated that they were yelling at people for not being fast enough to get 50 feet away from an animal that is a very adept swimmer. If they'd seen that manatee swim directly under me, NANFA would probably have been permanently banned!

citrus county is the only low hassle area for manatee, and unfortunately, even that is changing

#42 Michael Wolfe

Michael Wolfe
  • Board of Directors
  • North Georgia, Oconee River Drainage

Posted 07 March 2015 - 09:09 AM

I saw Bryce's Gator the other day but now they are "whited out" with a tiny red x in the corner.

?

I fixed them again... if you link a picture from the Gallery Archive (which is really the best way) then you cannot change the photo and move it around... rename it or put it in another folder or anything like that changes the url and therefore changes the link.  As long as Bryce doesnt do any more re-arranging, they will stick. :biggrin:

Either write something worth reading or do something worth writing. - Benjamin Franklin

#43 Isaac Szabo

Isaac Szabo
  • NANFA Member
  • Marble Falls, AR

Posted 07 March 2015 - 10:53 AM

Derek, I actually don't think your grass carp photo is far off. There are other photos in this thread with bigger color balance issues. For what it's worth, here's my quick attempt at color correction:

grass%20carp%20color%20adjust.jpg

In Photoshop, I used the Color Balance adjustment with settings of: -20 cyan/red, -30 magenta/green, and +20 yellow/blue (midtones, preserve luminosity unchecked). Then, I used a localized color balance adjustment (layer mask) to reduce the strong red cast in the lower corners. I'm not saying it's 100% correct or anything. It's just my take on it, and everyone will see things a little differently (not to mention different computer screens display colors differently).

#44 Isaac Szabo

Isaac Szabo
  • NANFA Member
  • Marble Falls, AR

Posted 07 March 2015 - 11:01 AM

I really like both of your Elassoma photos, Casper!

#45 trygon

trygon
  • NANFA Member
  • Knoxville, Tennessee

Posted 07 March 2015 - 01:41 PM

I've been a little preoccupied lately.  Very nice photos Derek and Casper, I didn't even find any Elassoma;  I spent too much time on the Bluefins and Mollies.  I'll try again in May.  Yes RAW is best, but I think Isaac has shown that there is still room for some processing.

Michael, I haven't done anything to the alligators since I mis-posted them, thanks to you I understand the process better.  I'll see if I can find to something relevant to post.

Bryce Gibson
There are sharks in every ocean...except Billy Ocean.

#46 Casper

Casper
  • NANFA Fellow
  • Chattanooga, TN alongside South Chickamauga Creek, just upstream of the mighty Tennessee River.

Posted 09 March 2015 - 10:01 AM

3-05-GrassCarp.JPG

Here are 2 photos that i have done no color correction on, which seems to be what my eye saw on that overcast day.

It is always neat to see big fish in herds grazing, even if they be foreigners.

3-04-Mullet.JPG

A favorite local though is the odd Mullet.  I like them.  I like to see them, smoke them, fry them.

What a great week.  Hopefully i can make it back this Summer.

Casper Cox
Chattanooga, near the TN Divide on BlueFishRidge overlooking South Chickamauga Creek.

#47 don212

don212
  • NANFA Member

Posted 09 March 2015 - 07:19 PM

great photos, come on down' we'll do some scallops

#48 trygon

trygon
  • NANFA Member
  • Knoxville, Tennessee

Posted 09 March 2015 - 08:36 PM

I thought I'd try posting again.

lmblarva.jpg

Largemouth Bass larvae, we found several nests while we were there.  Most were just a few days old.

rainwater.jpg

Rainwater killie

Bryce Gibson

#49 Isaac Szabo

Isaac Szabo
  • NANFA Member
  • Marble Falls, AR

Posted 09 March 2015 - 09:24 PM

Both of these are really cool Bryce. Love those golden rainwater killies!

#50 Mysteryman

Mysteryman
  • NANFA Guest

Posted 09 March 2015 - 10:59 PM

These photos are just awesome. A big salute to those who took them.

#51 trygon

trygon
  • NANFA Member
  • Knoxville, Tennessee

Posted 10 March 2015 - 07:14 AM

Thanks guys.

Bryce Gibson

#52 Chasmodes

Chasmodes
  • NANFA Member
  • Central Maryland

Posted 10 March 2015 - 07:36 AM

Beautiful pics guys, can't wait for the next AC to see more!

Kevin Wilson

#53 Matt DeLaVega

Matt DeLaVega
  • Forum Staff
  • Ohio

Posted 10 March 2015 - 07:52 AM

Really, I don't know if you guys realize what your photography does for NANFA, as you are all very humble. But between you underwater guys, and our ID photo guys, we have one of the best native fish photo collections. It may just be the best. This really helps us show what we are and helps move us in a good direction. Thanks for all of your hard work and contributions. Glad you had some fun along the way.

The member formerly known as Skipjack

#54 Isaac Szabo

Isaac Szabo
  • NANFA Member
  • Marble Falls, AR

Posted 11 March 2015 - 11:16 AM

Thanks Matt. I'd say it's more fun than work.

#55 Isaac Szabo

Isaac Szabo
  • NANFA Member
  • Marble Falls, AR

Posted 11 March 2015 - 11:18 AM

Here are a few photos I took with my phone:

Rainbow%20River%20dock.jpg
Our private dock on the Rainbow River. This was our first morning there, and everyone was excited to see what species we could spot in the crystal-clear 72 degree water.

Casper%20dipnetting.jpg
Casper doing some questionable dipnetting. I'm not sure he had the permits for this.

Alexander%20Springs%20group.jpg
The group scopes out Alexander Springs before our snorkel.

Salt%20Springs%20group.jpg
The group at Salt Springs. Unfortunately, we ran out of time to get in the water.

Bass%20Champions%20NASCAR%20room.jpg
Casper, Eileen, Don, and Michael at Bass Champions Restaurant. Casper was upset that we got put in the NASCAR room when the rest of the restaurant was decorated with fish.

Mike%20and%20Derek%20packed%20car.jpg
Mike and Derek getting ready to head home in a very packed car.

Rainbow%20River%20back%20yard.jpg
One last look at our backyard view of the Rainbow River before I headed home.

#56 Casper

Casper
  • NANFA Fellow
  • Chattanooga, TN alongside South Chickamauga Creek, just upstream of the mighty Tennessee River.

Posted 11 March 2015 - 02:47 PM

Hey those are fun people pictures!

1) This photo is telling in that we are ALL looking down.

2) Another fine use for a Perfect Dipnet ™.  I got fussed at when i fessed up but how often can a fella from Tennessee pick an orange orange?  Interesting in that i often saw wild orange filled orange trees in remote locations.

3) Trying to get our gumption up.  The warm water was inviting but the cold air was a cause for nerves!  Afterwards we stood in the warming sunshine on black pavement to eat our back trunk lunches and still shivered with no control.

4) Salt Springs.  Freshwater with a bit of salt.  It is on my snorkel list for a return to Ocala.

5) Yeah the other room had Gar, Bass, Croppie and giant lures painted to look like our favorite Darters.  We were the right crowd for that room.  I am not a big fan of America's number 1 spectator sport.  One piece of peanut butter pie and 9 spoons passed around.  I tend to judge an eatery by their peanut butter pie and this establishment was at the top of the charts.

6) Unbelievable how much Mike and Derek packed tight.  I thought the tires were gonna pop but i said nothing hexful hopeing their return trip was spare tire free.

7) Enchanting promises for more adventures.

Casper Cox
Chattanooga, near the TN Divide on BlueFishRidge overlooking South Chickamauga Creek.

#57 trygon

trygon
  • NANFA Member
  • Knoxville, Tennessee

Posted 11 March 2015 - 06:39 PM

Very nice phone photos.  I wish I was there.

Bryce Gibson

#58 mattknepley

mattknepley
  • NANFA Member
  • Smack-dab between the Savannah and the Saluda.

Posted 12 March 2015 - 05:29 AM

Can not wait to see the rest in AC! I have tried to not look at this post so as to avoid "spoiling the surprise". But my self-discipline keeps failing and I'm sneaking quite a few peaks...

I am continually blown away by the talent here. Thanks for sharing it with us!
Matt Knepley
"No thanks, a third of a gopher would merely arouse my appetite..."

#59 Matt DeLaVega

Matt DeLaVega
  • Forum Staff
  • Ohio

Posted 13 March 2015 - 07:05 PM

Yeah the one of Casper poaching fruit is pretty good.

The member formerly known as Skipjack

#60 Kanus

Kanus
  • Board of Directors

Posted 26 March 2015 - 08:22 AM

A few of an Atlantic Needlefish (Strongylura marina) that was a little less aware than most and let me get within about 8 feet...

10397187_365327336988795_508146914239925

10363470_365327360322126_145218382796665

Derek Wheaton

On a mountain overlooking the North Fork Roanoke River on one side, the New River Valley on the other, and a few minutes away from the James River watershed...the good life...

Enchanting Ectotherms

My Personal Facebook (mostly fish related, if you'd like to add me)

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users