Photo

Looking for fish that can tolerate temp range of 60 - 88 for a 30 gallon tank.

17 replies to this topic

#1 Beeker

Beeker
  • NANFA Guest

Posted 04 March 2015 - 01:46 PM

The subject pretty much describes it.

I'm dying for darters, but am a bit nervous about how warm the fish room gets.  I've repeatedly tried to find an air conditioner that will fit into a window that only opens 11 inches, but can't find any.  I could use some help there too if anyone has advice on where I can find one.  Unfortunately, floor models are not an option.

If I can get that room to stay cool in the summer, I won't have to worry about the high end of that temp range. 

So, pick your battle:

1.  native fish that can tolerate that temperature range and fit in a 30 gallon tank

or

2.  an air conditioner that will fit in a 11" high x 32" wide opening.

Thank you in advance!

Edited by Beeker, 04 March 2015 - 01:51 PM.

#2 Michael Wolfe

Michael Wolfe
  • Board of Directors
  • North Georgia, Oconee River Drainage

Posted 04 March 2015 - 02:11 PM

American (Florida) Flag Fish will survive these extremes.  Gambusia certainly will also.  Some Fundulus (lineolatus, cingulatus, chrysotus) will probably (maybe) be OK with these also.

Either write something worth reading or do something worth writing. - Benjamin Franklin

#3 Beeker

Beeker
  • NANFA Guest

Posted 04 March 2015 - 02:58 PM

Thank you.

The Flagfish looks interesting, as do the top minnows. 

I would prefer to stay away from livebearers, so I'll have to pass on the Gambusia.

#4 Matt DeLaVega

Matt DeLaVega
  • Forum Staff
  • Ohio

Posted 04 March 2015 - 04:07 PM

Supposed to be some Red River pupfish at the convention right? Brandon mentioned trying to haul some back to the convention site for people to take home. They would love 88 degrees. So sign up for the convention. :)

The member formerly known as Skipjack

#5 Josh Blaylock

Josh Blaylock
  • Board of Directors
  • Central Kentucky

Posted 05 March 2015 - 08:00 AM

I think I'm going to have to setup another aquarium before the convention :)

Josh Blaylock - Central KY
NANFA on Facebook

KYCREEKS - KRWW - KWA

I hope to have God on my side, but I must have Kentucky.

- Abraham Lincoln, 1861

#6 Beeker

Beeker
  • NANFA Guest

Posted 05 March 2015 - 08:42 AM

I can't make it to the convention. Too far.

Those Red River Pupfish look good too.  Would they be able to handle the low temp too, or would the tank have to be heated?

Although, I'd still like an air conditioner in that room.

#7 Matt DeLaVega

Matt DeLaVega
  • Forum Staff
  • Ohio

Posted 05 March 2015 - 10:19 AM

It can take near freezing temps if I recall corectly.

#8 Beeker

Beeker
  • NANFA Guest

Posted 05 March 2015 - 12:10 PM

Then those pupfish are perfect.

This room is quite seasonal.  I have the thermostat set at 60, but it sometimes falls to 57. 

Will any Darters work for this tank?

#9 Matt DeLaVega

Matt DeLaVega
  • Forum Staff
  • Ohio

Posted 05 March 2015 - 01:05 PM

I think 88 would be lethal to all darters if it were sustained for more than a day or two.

#10 Beeker

Beeker
  • NANFA Guest

Posted 05 March 2015 - 03:44 PM

Air conditioners, anyone?

#11 NotCousteau

NotCousteau
  • NANFA Guest
  • Minnesota

Posted 05 March 2015 - 03:52 PM

Have you checked out the portable AC units that sit INSIDE your room and are vented to a window with a long tube? They look like dehumidifiers. They do not sit in your window sill.

I would imagine that the circumference of the vent tubes would easily fit an 11-inch window. I l looked at them years ago when purchasing an AC unit for my attic bedroom. (I bought a regular window unit.)

#12 Beeker

Beeker
  • NANFA Guest

Posted 06 March 2015 - 10:01 PM

Thank you, but those are floor models and those are not an option for my circumstances.

#13 Matt DeLaVega

Matt DeLaVega
  • Forum Staff
  • Ohio

Posted 06 March 2015 - 10:40 PM

Your only other option is a window unit and penetrate the wall with a large enough opening to accomodate it. Will require some demo, framing, and interior/exterior finish work. Or a chiller.

#14 lilyea

lilyea
  • NANFA Member
  • Peace River Watershed, Central Florida, USA

Posted 06 March 2015 - 11:02 PM

Beeker - when you say 88 degrees it sounds like you are referring to the air temperature and not the water temperature.  If there is fluctuation of the air temperature from day to night; if the tanks do not have direct sunlight (which it sounds like they won't); and if the tanks have high aeration/surface agitation then it is unlikely the water will reach the peak air temperature.  Those few degrees would potentially expand the number of fish that would be able to be kept.

#15 Beeker

Beeker
  • NANFA Guest

Posted 11 March 2015 - 03:29 PM

Thank you, Lilyea.

The water temp maxed at about 86 degrees last year.

I bought something that was advertised as a low profile air conditioner but it ended up being a glorified, overpriced window fan....

I rent, so demo is not an option.

I'm hoping to see if there is a way to get the window open wider.

#16 LaMain

LaMain
  • NANFA Guest
  • France

Posted 12 March 2015 - 12:00 PM

Hi,

You seem to have your mind settled but I'll still ask : is there any reason why your are not considering chilling the water instead of the room ?

#17 Matt DeLaVega

Matt DeLaVega
  • Forum Staff
  • Ohio

Posted 12 March 2015 - 07:11 PM

Why again is a floor unit not an option?

#18 Beeker

Beeker
  • NANFA Guest

Posted 19 March 2015 - 11:47 PM

A chiller for the tank is too expensive.  To cool the room would take care of both problems, the water temperature and the room temperature.  I would like to sit comfortably in the room to enjoy my tanks.

A floor unit is not an option because there isn't any place to put it where it won't be in the way and still reach the window.

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users