Posted 30 March 2015 - 10:20 PM

You have fished Garvana, right Olaf?

The member formerly known as Skipjack

#22 olaf

olaf
  • NANFA Member

Posted 30 March 2015 - 11:11 PM

With fervor and religious dedication.
I have learned, however, that different people locate the name in several different stretches of river. I believe the sect into which I was initiated knows the true Garvana, but I'm happy to try them all. Plus, some of them may require less hiking and therefore afford more fishing time.
Redhorse ID downloads and more: http://moxostoma.com

#23 strat guy

strat guy
  • NANFA Guest
  • Orland Park, IL

Posted 01 April 2015 - 09:19 PM

I've fished that river a lot and love it, but haven't been to that section. Will rectify that soon. Satellite imagery on Google earth looks great for gar. Wish I knew a landowner there to make access easier. When you say a mile and a half down, do you mean upstream (away from the Illinois River) where there are some rocks/rapids and some sort of big old structure? Do you wade up from the bridge or is there enough shore to walk? Ever had any trouble with property owners?
All winter every year I dream of the Vermilion. Earliest I've ever fished it was about 10 April.
Thanks for the tip.

Yeah I don't really know about the gar, when they hit I do all I can to get them off, they're garbage fish to me. And that's coming from an avid carp angler. There are no homeowners to worry about there. The entire east side of the river is wooded, no houses at all. Accessibility really depends on how the weather has been and what time of year it is. If you've fished that river a lot, then you know the depth fluctuates dramatically. If its been dry, you can walk on dry land because the shore is all rock. The fishing isn't so good when the river is low though, all the fish bolt off to the Illinois. If its wet and summer, have fun walking through the combination of rose bushes, poison ivy, and fallen trees, not to mention mud. When the water is deep its pretty dangerous, I wouldn't walk in there. When conditions are totally stable, its a usual uncomfortable woodland walk trying to find paths that are semi easy to navigate. Its not so bad, but don't plan on paved paths, and you may need to walk through some mud here and there. Wading is like the kankakee when its stable, about waist deep with some deeper pools and a few holes here and there. The bottom is rock though, so its pretty slick at places. I only go at two times during the year, Memorial day and Labor day. That's when the stripers run every year. Walleye too, but they don't really come in from the river too much. I usually get a little one here or there while I'm striper fishing. Thirty foot is upstream, away from the river. Once you hit it, its time to turn around and go the other way. Not as much action above the falls.

120 low tech native planted - Blackstriped Topminnow, Central Stoneroller, Fathead minnow, Golden Shiner, Black chin shiner, Carmine Shiner, Emerald Shiner, Sand Shiner, Spotfin Shiner, Orangethroat darter, Johnny Darter, and Banded Darter.

#24 Matt DeLaVega

Matt DeLaVega
  • Forum Staff
  • Ohio

Posted 01 April 2015 - 09:44 PM

Is Thirty foot above the parks? Math. and Starved? If it is below, I would have to disagree. I thought the fishing was great there. I greatly enjoy the shortnose, and had much fun with very nice sized smallmouth bass, and mooneye as well. Stripers? Are you referring to hybrids? If so, though they fight well, they are artificial, and not too interesting to me, rather catch the trash fish. Do these stripers spawn twice? Memorial and Labor day? Do they have calendars? :) Or if they are hybrids, do they just attempt to spawn? Or do they just stay in the river all winter, and the only times you can get away to fish are these holidays?

#25 Duckman77

Duckman77
  • NANFA Guest

Posted 02 April 2015 - 03:59 PM

Is Thirty foot above the parks? Math. and Starved? If it is below, I would have to disagree. I thought the fishing was great there. I greatly enjoy the shortnose, and had much fun with very nice sized smallmouth bass, and mooneye as well. Stripers? Are you referring to hybrids? If so, though they fight well, they are artificial, and not too interesting to me, rather catch the trash fish. Do these stripers spawn twice? Memorial and Labor day? Do they have calendars? :) Or if they are hybrids, do they just attempt to spawn? Or do they just stay in the river all winter, and the only times you can get away to fish are these holidays?

I'm sure the "stripers" he is referring to are white bass.  Before I learned the appropriate names, all Morone I ever caught were referred to as "stripers".  The Vermillion is thick with them at times.  Lots of fun to catch.

#26 strat guy

strat guy
  • NANFA Guest
  • Orland Park, IL

Posted 02 April 2015 - 07:42 PM

Its about a mile and a half upstream from the Illinois. Enter the river at the bridge I explained on the map. The fishing in the whole river is really good, but seriously, go during the striper (yes, white bass) pre-spawn around memorial day and you'll know what I'm talking about. The last time I went, there were so many I stopped counting fish at around 50 (my brother was with me and caught just as many), and every time we would catch one six more would be on its tail nipping its fins the whole way in. A fish on every cast. During the pre-spawn and post-summer periods the fish come into the vermillion to feed. They get backed up to the falls and can't go any further and just sit there. They go back out to the river to spawn and the action dies down. Same thing in the winter, when the turnover happens they go out to the larger river where its deeper and warmer from the boat traffic. During the summer, the fish are there, its just so nuts during pre spawn that it can seem like the river is completely empty. It really is something to experience. Crazy.

120 low tech native planted - Blackstriped Topminnow, Central Stoneroller, Fathead minnow, Golden Shiner, Black chin shiner, Carmine Shiner, Emerald Shiner, Sand Shiner, Spotfin Shiner, Orangethroat darter, Johnny Darter, and Banded Darter.

#27 Matt DeLaVega

Matt DeLaVega
  • Forum Staff
  • Ohio

Posted 02 April 2015 - 10:21 PM

That sounds like a bunch of fun.

Another reason to never trust common names. Around here locals call hybrid striped/white bass stripers. The state stocks them in reservoirs, and maybe the Ohio(not sure), but they find their way all over southern Ohio waterways.

#28 smbass

smbass
  • Board of Directors

Posted 03 April 2015 - 09:14 AM

Yes state does stock the Ohio River proper with the hybrids. What he is describing sounds nearly identical to the mid-late May runs out of Lake Erie of White Bass on western Lake Erie tributaries. Matt as a fisherman you have to give it a shot some time. I have also seen the similar fall feeding run in the Maumee. Not sure if that happens as much in the smaller Lake Erie rivers but you do get a September/Oct run of White Bass in the Maumee too. I recall one May trip to downtown Freemont Ohio on the Sandusky in college where in 3-4 hours I counted 96 white bass landed. Fed the whole bio department (not that big 30-40 people at my little college) the next day for the end of year picnic at the Botany profs house. Not bad fresh and fried but I don't think white bass make that great of table fair to keep and freeze for later, somewhat strong flavored in my opinion.

Brian J. Zimmerman

Gambier, Ohio - Kokosing River Drainage

#29 olaf

olaf
  • NANFA Member

Posted 03 April 2015 - 10:09 AM

The White Bass action in the Vermilion is awesome. There's a photo of one from there on the back cover of last spring's AC. They are plentiful above those falls as well, all spring and summer. One great thing about them is that they hit more aggressively and fight harder than other fish of the same size. Can't wait to get down there sometime this month and enjoy them again.

#30 strat guy

strat guy
  • NANFA Guest
  • Orland Park, IL

Posted 03 April 2015 - 08:08 PM

Yeah I love them. Its like a crappie that fights like a smallmouth. Yeah, I think they're strong flavored too. I like that though. We only ate them out of the vermillion once, they were super strong, I was the only one that would keep eating them.

People around here call all of them stripers. We have true stripers in a few of the reservoirs, but mostly the hybrids. I've never caught one, but if they fight like the white bass, I need to get on that. They're an open water fish from what I understand.

Edited by strat guy, 03 April 2015 - 08:09 PM.

#31 Duckman77

Duckman77
  • NANFA Guest

Posted 05 April 2015 - 05:30 PM

I plan on hitting the Vermillion tomorrow.  If anyone wants to join me for some seining and rod and reel fishing, send me a PM. 

#32 BenCantrell

BenCantrell
  • Sebastian, FL

Posted 05 April 2015 - 07:50 PM

Wish I could join you!  Smart to go tomorrow before the rains come.

#33 olaf

olaf
  • NANFA Member

Posted 10 April 2015 - 11:49 PM

Fished this area April 8th. Eight white bass on a small Panther-Martin spinner, 1 channel cat on a worm. Looked like it had acne. Some kind of parasite? Saw no suckers of any species, no minnows or other small fish, no carp of any species. One dead deer floating in an eddy. Oddest of all was a lot of Serbian vs. Albanian graffiti.
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg

#34 Matt DeLaVega

Matt DeLaVega
  • Forum Staff
  • Ohio

Posted 11 April 2015 - 02:00 PM

That is ugly. The yellow coloration is not typical, but not uncommon either.

#35 olaf

olaf
  • NANFA Member

Posted 11 April 2015 - 05:04 PM

I've caught lots of yellowish channel cats, but this one was the yellowest.

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users