Photo

Hello from San Francisco, CA - Stocking a 125 Gallon.

6 replies to this topic

#1 Swingdaddy

Swingdaddy
  • NANFA Guest

Posted 01 April 2015 - 12:43 PM

Just wondering if there are any Native Fish enthusiast or connections in the San Francisco Bay Area?

I'm planning to place an order from Sachs soon.   I'm planning on a "community" type setup with a light-medium stocking level of " sunfish, and shiners.

Here's a video I found as my inspiration (THIS IS NOT MY TANK):

My 125 gallon tank is  converted from an African bio-type.    I've added driftwood and will be planting with mostly Vals and moss.   It has the original black substrate.

Cheers!

Edited by Swingdaddy, 01 April 2015 - 12:45 PM.

#2 Michael Wolfe

Michael Wolfe
  • Board of Directors
  • North Georgia, Oconee River Drainage

Posted 01 April 2015 - 06:41 PM

Yes, there are connections... the regional rep for California is on here as EBParks (which I think means East Bay Parks... but my California geography is terrible).  Look around for his posts and such.  I think that he has a volunteer opportunity out there that he is looking for volunteers.

Oh, and welcome to the forum.

Either write something worth reading or do something worth writing. - Benjamin Franklin

#3 Matt DeLaVega

Matt DeLaVega
  • Forum Staff
  • Ohio

Posted 01 April 2015 - 07:07 PM

Josh Porter. Great guy.  http://forum.nanfa.o...r/4584-ebparks/

As Michael mentioned he is looking for volunteers to do electrofishing surveys. Lots of fun.

The member formerly known as Skipjack

#4 Swingdaddy

Swingdaddy
  • NANFA Guest

Posted 27 April 2015 - 10:49 PM

Hey all, 

Just wanted to share my experience with ordering fish from FLORIDA. 

First of all, it was shipped via USPS 2 day expedited and it ended up arriving in 6 days!  It was stressful to say the least.  

The package was shipped on a Tuesday, with an expected delivery by Thursday.

Since USPS did not deliver on Thursday, and being an optimist, i took off from work on Friday to wait for it.

Yes, I followed the tracking, and i was hopeful that it would be accurately updated by Friday.  This was not the case.  The tracking just showed it was in transit since it left Florida.

I gave up hope that the fish will ever survive.   On Sunday afternoon, i received a USPS text that said it arrived at the distribution sorting center.  And of course, the expected delivery

date was changed to Monday morning.

Lo' and behold, the package arrived late Monday morning @ 10:46 and I was totally surprised that there were no DOAs.

The vendor packed the fishes into several bags, and double bagged.  Box was well insulated.      He has since told me his record is 7 days shipping (not my order which took six days).

My order:  8 Dollar Sunfish

6 Red Shiners

10 FieryBlack

They are all happy in the 125 now.   Whew!

#5 smbass

smbass
  • Board of Directors

Posted 28 April 2015 - 08:57 AM

I ship the same way using USPS priority and most of the time they do arrive in 2-3 days. I ship about 200 orders a year and out of those maybe 10-15 get delayed like this. As I'm sure Sachs does too I pack them using O2 and lots of space to help withstand these delays. I have actually had an order arrive after 14 days! and all fish still be alive. It always amazes me just how durable fish can be if you take the time to pack them well. I think the biggest part of this is the O2. Glad to hear yours was a success and good luck with them. Those are some really nice species and should be fun to watch!

Brian J. Zimmerman

Gambier, Ohio - Kokosing River Drainage

#6 Swingdaddy

Swingdaddy
  • NANFA Guest

Posted 28 April 2015 - 01:36 PM

Thanks Brian for sharing your shipping experiences.  These fishes are fun to observe.   Gotta say that the FireyBlacks are JUMPERS!    I had to cover all the openings.   The sunfishes like to play dead when frigthened.    I'll post a pic of my set-up soon.

#7 Swingdaddy

Swingdaddy
  • NANFA Guest

Posted 28 April 2015 - 04:48 PM

Hello Brian,

Forgot to mention that my order was NOT from Sachs, but rather another vendor (from Aquabid) who happens to be in Florida.

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users