Photo

Unknown fish in Nj stream

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 davidjh2

davidjh2
  • NANFA Guest

Posted 23 April 2015 - 07:44 PM

A bit of a back story here. About three years ago I was sampling a small unnamed stream in Sussex county NJ, it is a tributary to the Flatbrook river a small trout stocked river that in turn flows into the Delaware. I came across a school of these small fish that I still cannot identify. I took this picture last year when I went to try and find some and managed to find one lone fish, unfortunately I did not have a photo tank with me so I could only get this one fairly awful shot. This one really has me stumped so any assistance would be great appreciated.

gallery_2630_64_513641.jpg

#2 Michael Wolfe

Michael Wolfe
  • Board of Directors
  • North Georgia, Oconee River Drainage

Posted 23 April 2015 - 08:23 PM

It's a trout juvenile.  Kind of hard to see the adipose fin on top... but pretty sure it is a trout of some type.

Either write something worth reading or do something worth writing. - Benjamin Franklin

#3 davidjh2

davidjh2
  • NANFA Guest

Posted 23 April 2015 - 09:09 PM

That was my suspicion, I just didn't want to come out and say it since my id's tend to be way off lol. Thanks Michael. It is pretty neat that they are getting this far upstream, it's not a long distance but they have to come through a swamp and then a lot of shallow water and the stream dries up pretty quick in the summer to just a trickle.

#4 Michael Wolfe

Michael Wolfe
  • Board of Directors
  • North Georgia, Oconee River Drainage

Posted 23 April 2015 - 09:19 PM

I've seen them occasionally in streams in North Georgia... people sometimes don't think that trout are reproducing and that it is all hatchery fish... but they are out there.

Either write something worth reading or do something worth writing. - Benjamin Franklin

#5 Sean Phillips

Sean Phillips
  • NANFA Member
  • Allegheny River Drainage, Southwest PA

Posted 24 April 2015 - 06:09 AM

100% Brook Trout. I've caught dozens of smolts at that size in north-central PA.

Here's one I caught last OctoberAttached File  image.jpg   97.57KB   0 downloads
Sean Phillips - Pine Creek Watershed - Allegheny River Drainage

#6 Josh Blaylock

Josh Blaylock
  • Board of Directors
  • Central Kentucky

Posted 24 April 2015 - 07:27 AM

I concur with the trout ID.

Josh Blaylock - Central KY
NANFA on Facebook

KYCREEKS - KRWW - KWA

I hope to have God on my side, but I must have Kentucky.

- Abraham Lincoln, 1861

#7 gerald

gerald
  • Global Moderator
  • Wake Forest, North Carolina

Posted 24 April 2015 - 02:22 PM

I think it's a European brown trout, not a brookie.

Gerald Pottern
-----------------------
Hangin' on the Neuse
"Taxonomy is the diaper used to organize the mess of evolution into discrete packages" - M.Sandel

#8 Matt DeLaVega

Matt DeLaVega
  • Forum Staff
  • Ohio

Posted 24 April 2015 - 07:50 PM

It is in my opinion a brown as well.

The member formerly known as Skipjack

#9 Jconte

Jconte
  • NANFA Member
  • Quincy Illinois

Posted 24 April 2015 - 08:24 PM

The vertical bars say Brook trout.

#10 Matt DeLaVega

Matt DeLaVega
  • Forum Staff
  • Ohio

Posted 24 April 2015 - 08:48 PM

All juvenile salmonids have parr marks. This may be a brook trout, but not my guess. Brook trout have huge mouths. Also, a brook trout of that size usually starts to show some adult coloration. I think that it is also unlikely that brook trout are pulling off a successful spawn in a stocked trout stream. Just generally does not happen, unless there is a waterfall or some other barrier between them and the rainbows and browns.

The member formerly known as Skipjack

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users