Photo

Minnow ID for my brother, he is almost hooked.

• Please log in to reply
22 replies to this topic

#1 Mike

Mike
  • Regional Rep
  • Indiana

Posted 04 May 2015 - 12:11 AM

Minnow ID for my brother, he is almost hooked. Turkey Run State Park by Terre Haute, Indiana. 

His e-mail to me:

"Hi Mike,

I went to Turkey Run today with Lori to do some hiking.  But I also brought my fishing rod and some micro hooks!  I found a tiny feeder creek connected to Sugar Creek and fished for some minnows that were sitting there in the current.  They all looked like the same kind of fish and after I caught 2 of them (photos attached) I got bored with them.  To me, they look just like the regular crappie minnows you buy at the bait shop!  Can you tell what kind they are?

Obviously, I want to add them to my species list.  Oh no - you have gotten me interested in the Species Hunter website and in catching minnows!!  Darn it!

Tom"

The size of the mouth is confusing me, can someone please tell us what it is for sure.

I will have him keeping an aquarium next.

Thank you 

Mike

Attached Files

Mike Berg
Northwest Indiana

#2 Mike

Mike
  • Regional Rep
  • Indiana

Posted 04 May 2015 - 12:19 AM

I will try posting them again. They look like they are the same species to me too.

Attached Files

Mike Berg
Northwest Indiana

#3 Mike

Mike
  • Regional Rep
  • Indiana

Posted 04 May 2015 - 12:27 AM

I am wanting to call it a Spottail Shiner Notropis hudsonius, but I don't like the mouth shape it just looks too big.

Also it would be out of the Spottail Shiners range.

Mike Berg
Northwest Indiana

#4 mattknepley

mattknepley
  • NANFA Member
  • Smack-dab between the Savannah and the Saluda.

Posted 04 May 2015 - 05:02 AM

Good job hooking your brother! :) I'm not sure about elsewhere, but the Spottails here have a very pronounced lateral line which I don't see in the photo. The thick part of the body looks "chubbish" to me, but not the elongate back half. Don't know what to make of that. Am curious about these guys too. Many minnow-type fish baffle me; they do the same thing to me that most sparrows do when I'm birding. Eventually I just write most of 'em off as "unknown, interesting critter"...
Matt Knepley
"No thanks, a third of a gopher would merely arouse my appetite..."

#5 Sean Phillips

Sean Phillips
  • NANFA Member
  • Allegheny River Drainage, Southwest PA

Posted 04 May 2015 - 05:55 AM

Not sure but definitely not a spottails, spottails I catch via hook and line in Erie are much more silvery and have a smaller mouth. Maybe a juvenile chub of some kind...
Sean Phillips - Pine Creek Watershed - Allegheny River Drainage

#6 Evan P

Evan P
  • NANFA Guest
  • Knoxville, TN

Posted 04 May 2015 - 07:14 AM

Looka like a Creek Chub to me!
3,000-4,000 Gallon Pond Full of all sorts of spawning fishes! http://forum.nanfa.org/index.php/topic/13811-3560-gallon-native-fish-pond/page-3 

#7 Dustin

Dustin
  • Forum Staff

Posted 04 May 2015 - 07:14 AM

Those look like little creek chubs to me.

Dustin Smith
At the convergence of the Broad, Saluda and Congaree
Lexington, SC

#8 BenCantrell

BenCantrell
  • Sebastian, FL

Posted 04 May 2015 - 08:21 AM

Creek chub.

#9 Michael Wolfe

Michael Wolfe
  • Board of Directors
  • North Georgia, Oconee River Drainage

Posted 04 May 2015 - 10:35 AM

Habitat helps to. He said "tiny feeder creek" so creek chub is the best bet.
Either write something worth reading or do something worth writing. - Benjamin Franklin

#10 Josh Blaylock

Josh Blaylock
  • Board of Directors
  • Central Kentucky

Posted 04 May 2015 - 11:08 AM

I'll 5th Creek Chub

Josh Blaylock - Central KY
NANFA on Facebook

KYCREEKS - KRWW - KWA

I hope to have God on my side, but I must have Kentucky.

- Abraham Lincoln, 1861

#11 Mike

Mike
  • Regional Rep
  • Indiana

Posted 04 May 2015 - 01:43 PM

I thought about Creek Chubs but it is hard to see if there is a spot on the dorsal fin in his photos, also the main reason I dismissed them was I thought the tail had to big of a fork in it.

Then again I never caught a Creek Chub that small and I am terrible at identifying minnows so I am most likely wrong.

Thank you everyone

Mike Berg
Northwest Indiana

#12 Sean Phillips

Sean Phillips
  • NANFA Member

Posted 04 May 2015 - 02:29 PM

The striped doesn't look solid enough to be a creek chub IME, but coloration obviously varies with the area so I'm probably just used to how my local Semotilus appear.

#13 BenCantrell

BenCantrell
  • Sebastian, FL

Posted 04 May 2015 - 03:44 PM

The creek chubs we caught in KY last weekend looked pretty much the same.

DSC04502%2520Cropped.jpg

#14 Dustin

Dustin
  • Forum Staff

Posted 04 May 2015 - 03:45 PM

Looks just like mine here in SC as well.

Dustin Smith
At the convergence of the Broad, Saluda and Congaree
Lexington, SC

#15 Abrams96

Abrams96
  • NANFA Guest

Posted 04 May 2015 - 10:09 PM

I'd have to say Hornyhead chub juvies from my experience.

#16 Casper

Casper
  • NANFA Fellow
  • Chattanooga, TN alongside South Chickamauga Creek, just upstream of the mighty Tennessee River.

Posted 05 May 2015 - 10:10 AM

Creek Chub again.  Look how the scales are compressed near the head.  A good starter fish for an aquarium.  Interesting and TOUGH.

Add some Stonerollers.

Casper Cox
Chattanooga, near the TN Divide on BlueFishRidge overlooking South Chickamauga Creek.

#17 Sean Phillips

Sean Phillips
  • NANFA Member

Posted 05 May 2015 - 10:44 AM

Creek Chub again.  Look how the scales are compressed near the head.  A good starter fish for an aquarium.  Interesting and TOUGH.
Add some Stonerollers.

+1 on a great fish to start with. I've had my three for almost a year and they never show any signs of disease or weakness. Just make sure to keep the tank covered well, I had four but one bursted through a closed lid with a stapler on top of it and I didn't find it for several hours when I got home.

#18 gerald

gerald
  • Global Moderator
  • Wake Forest, North Carolina

Posted 05 May 2015 - 11:54 AM

Casper's got the best characteristic:  small crowded scales behind the head, only 1/2 as big as scales on the rear part of the body.  Creek chub's dorsal spot and lateral stripe can come and go with mood, substrate color, age, etc.  The scale size gradation from head (small scales) to tail (larger scales) is also a good characteristic for distinguishing Catostomus commersoni from other similar sucker genera (Moxostoma, Scartomyzon).

Gerald Pottern
-----------------------
Hangin' on the Neuse
"Taxonomy is the diaper used to organize the mess of evolution into discrete packages" - M.Sandel

#19 BenCantrell

BenCantrell
  • Sebastian, FL

Posted 05 May 2015 - 01:47 PM

Here are some photos of young Nocomis chubs for comparison.  The scales are not crowded up near the head.

DSC02636.JPG

DSC02276.JPG

#20 Michael Wolfe

Michael Wolfe
  • Board of Directors
  • North Georgia, Oconee River Drainage

Posted 05 May 2015 - 04:11 PM

Nocomis mouths are also much smaller than creek chubs huge omnivorous nutrient intake port.

Either write something worth reading or do something worth writing. - Benjamin Franklin

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users