• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 NotCousteau

NotCousteau
  • NANFA Guest
  • Minnesota

Posted 16 May 2015 - 01:29 AM

Hi All,

I'm posting this post for someone else from another forum. What are your thoughts on ID? Melanistic? Warmouth?

I caught this fish while fishing today. I'm not sure what kind it is. This pond has thousands of some type of very light colored sunfish and this fish right in the middle of them all. I thought he might be a green sunfish, but I don't think thats it. Maybe some freak genetic mutation? Whatever it is, it's one beautiful fish. Any ideas? BTW It's about 4-5 inches long. The pic with the ziplock is a gallon ziplock for size reference.

I'm almost 100% sure its some form of sunfish. It has the black dot on the side just like the rest of the fish in the pond and was swimming with them all. Here are two other fish I caught in the same group. This dark fish i'm sure is the same kind as these two. It's hard to tell in the pic but its the same type. Unfortunately Arizona does not allow keeping or transporting native fish, so he went back into the pond after a few pics. He wasn't in the shade, there isn't a whole lot of shade in this pond.

Attached Files

#2 Isaac Szabo

Isaac Szabo
  • NANFA Member
  • Marble Falls, AR

Posted 16 May 2015 - 03:49 AM

Looks like a bluegill to me. I don't know why it's so dark. I don't think I've seen one like that before. The bottom 2 are also bluegill.

#3 Sean Phillips

Sean Phillips
  • NANFA Member
  • Allegheny River Drainage, Southwest PA

Posted 16 May 2015 - 06:07 AM

Hmm, maybe a hybrid sunfish? It looks a little bit long to be a lure bluegill and both greens and Warmouth have large bass-like mouths in my experience with them.
Sean Phillips - Pine Creek Watershed - Allegheny River Drainage

#4 Matt DeLaVega

Matt DeLaVega
  • Forum Staff
  • Ohio

Posted 16 May 2015 - 06:31 AM

Melanistic bluegill?

The member formerly known as Skipjack

#5 Michael Wolfe

Michael Wolfe
  • Board of Directors
  • North Georgia, Oconee River Drainage

Posted 16 May 2015 - 07:37 AM

I dont think his mouth is that big... and the caudal peduncle length looks the same on all three fish... and in the second picture he even has the sky blue jaw line... the blue gill...

Either write something worth reading or do something worth writing. - Benjamin Franklin

#6 Matt DeLaVega

Matt DeLaVega
  • Forum Staff
  • Ohio

Posted 16 May 2015 - 08:00 AM

I have seen some sunfish go nearly that dark when near death. However they were also very listless and certainly would not feed.

The member formerly known as Skipjack

#7 Leo1234

Leo1234
  • NANFA Member
  • san clemente, california

Posted 16 May 2015 - 09:07 AM

My large coppernose bluegill has been an black-purple with dark red fins his entire life after he was large enough to have color. (actually, now that I think about it he looks very similar in color to the 1st sunfish on the list.)

#8 rc6750

rc6750
  • NANFA Member
  • Tampa Bay, FL

Posted 18 May 2015 - 04:09 PM

In my experience Bluegill vary widely in coloring - but yes they get very dark

tumblr_nokdb0oaQc1qjrzplo1_540.jpg

tumblr_nokdb0oaQc1qjrzplo2_540.jpg

tumblr_nokdb0oaQc1qjrzplo3_540.jpg

#9 NotCousteau

NotCousteau
  • NANFA Guest
  • Minnesota

Posted 18 May 2015 - 05:42 PM

In my experience Bluegill vary widely in coloring - but yes they get very dark

tumblr_nokdb0oaQc1qjrzplo1_540.jpg

tumblr_nokdb0oaQc1qjrzplo2_540.jpg

tumblr_nokdb0oaQc1qjrzplo3_540.jpg

Wow, that's a cool-looking fish!

Thanks for all of the help, everyone.

#10 loopsnj64

loopsnj64
  • NANFA Guest

Posted 19 May 2015 - 02:27 PM

It may be an adaptation to heavily planted areas, or just freak melanism 

"All good things must come to an end, but bad things think thats rather dull, so they stick around long after their natural end has come"

-From an art book I read

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users