Photo

Some interesting trips

24 replies to this topic

#21 fishlvr

fishlvr
  • NANFA Guest
  • Savannah, GA

Posted 24 May 2015 - 06:14 PM

I've attempted all of the above to no avail. Most of the ones I've collected were right at .5"
Steve Knight

Lower Ogeechee/Ogeechee Coastal Drainage

#22 gerald

gerald
  • Global Moderator
  • Wake Forest, North Carolina

Posted 25 May 2015 - 09:44 AM

Steve -- I just PM'd you Erica's response to the PM that you sent her.  She emailed it to me and asked me to fwd it to you.

I usually collect them in late fall or winter and rarely have problems transporting and acclimating them.  In warm weather they're more sensitive, and in late spring/summer you get mostly spawned-out adults ready to die or tiny fry that slip through 1/8" mesh.  Salt at 1 teasp/gal (dissolved in the collecting bucket before you start collecting) can help reduce their ion loss, which leads to bacterial and fungal infections.  Also it's better if you do not pick them up between your fingers.  Plop them directly from dipnet to bucket quickly without handling, or if seining you can pick them up on leaves, plants, or whatever is in the net.  If collecting them in low-oxygen swamps, you might want to BYO clean water to mix 50/50 with the native water, or a battery air-pump.   Feed them fresh-hatched BS or small skeeter larvae right away when you get home - a good meal seems to promote quick recovery from collecting stress.

Gerald Pottern
-----------------------
Hangin' on the Neuse
"Taxonomy is the diaper used to organize the mess of evolution into discrete packages" - M.Sandel

#23 fishlvr

fishlvr
  • NANFA Guest
  • Savannah, GA

Posted 25 May 2015 - 11:10 AM

Awesome man thanks for the info I'll try the above next weekend. Tell Erica I said thankyou for the breeding advice as well Please.
Steve Knight

#24 fishlvr

fishlvr
  • NANFA Guest
  • Savannah, GA

Posted 27 May 2015 - 09:34 PM

So I've collected a couple more that look like males. I'm going to try leaving them in water with added salt for a week or so and feed them mosquito larvae every day. I added some plants from the tub and a small Heterandria made its way in the container and was immediately eaten by one of them, which caught me by surprise. I'll let y'all know how this goes. Keeping my fingers crossed!
Steve Knight

#25 fishlvr

fishlvr
  • NANFA Guest
  • Savannah, GA

Posted 29 May 2015 - 03:39 PM

It's been 2 days. No fuzz present. One of the males had some on top of his head when I put them in the container with salt and it has completely dissappeared. Hopefully I can add them to the tub in a few more days!
Steve Knight

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users