Photo

Cyprinella labrosa or C. zanema?

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 mattknepley

mattknepley
  • NANFA Member
  • Smack-dab between the Savannah and the Saluda.

Posted 19 May 2015 - 08:09 PM

Is there enough in this picture to make a call?

Seined up from the Oolenoy River in Pickens County, South Carolina. Has very definite barbels.

Attached File  DSCN0224.JPG   142.78KB   0 downloads

This is the only picture for now, the fish was seriously stressing.
Matt Knepley
"No thanks, a third of a gopher would merely arouse my appetite..."

#2 mattknepley

mattknepley
  • NANFA Member

Posted 20 May 2015 - 05:44 AM

Hoping for some help on this one. My two "go to" guides have similar descriptions, but for the different fish. That is, what one describes as C. labrosa, the other describes as C. zanema. And vice versa. Throwing in the additional info found for each fish that appears in one guide but not the other only further confuses things. Add to it that Rhinichthys cataractae - looking schnoz (which is one drainage over, though) and I'm at a loss...
Matt Knepley

#3 Dustin

Dustin
  • Forum Staff

Posted 20 May 2015 - 08:12 AM

That's zanema.  Those two blotches near the dorsal and the overall coloration are indicative.  I assume you also caught approximately a million "yellowfin" shiners and bluehead chubs in there?

Dustin Smith
At the convergence of the Broad, Saluda and Congaree
Lexington, SC

#4 mattknepley

mattknepley
  • NANFA Member

Posted 20 May 2015 - 03:02 PM

Thanks, Dustin. I initially thought zanema, but then started overthinking. Never good. Actually, I only got a couple "yellowplox"es and a handful of blueheads. If not for this lifer it'd been a total bust. But I never got far from the bridge at Oolenoy Church Rd. It was very sandy without much structure. Then thunderstorms hit and put an end to things.
Matt Knepley

#5 Dustin

Dustin
  • Forum Staff

Posted 20 May 2015 - 03:24 PM

I have been there but at Sliding Rock Rd and caught tons of fish.

Dustin Smith
At the convergence of the Broad, Saluda and Congaree
Lexington, SC

#6 Matt DeLaVega

Matt DeLaVega
  • Forum Staff
  • Ohio

Posted 20 May 2015 - 06:12 PM

How in the world is that a cyprinella?

The member formerly known as Skipjack

#7 mattknepley

mattknepley
  • NANFA Member

Posted 20 May 2015 - 08:06 PM

How in the world is that a cyprinella?

It doesn't fit my preconceived notion of what a Cyprinella is either. According to Fritz, it was a Hybopsis not very long ago but "work by Coburn and Cavender (1992) and Broughton and Gold (2000) has supported [moving it] to the genus Cyprinella".

Thanks for the tip, Dustin. That area upstream was more what I had in mind when I headed out there from Greenville. (Work has had me up there most every day for a while now, but this was the only day where I actually had any free time before having to head back to Ninety Six.) But the storms started blowing up quick so I took the first decent-looking entry I could find.
Matt Knepley

#8 sbtgrfan

sbtgrfan
  • NANFA Member
  • Charleston, SC

Posted 21 May 2015 - 04:29 PM

Hey I was just there yesterday for my work upstate collecting trip. Water levels were low, weather was perfect, fish were plentiful, except fieryblacks in the middle Saluda....
I never came across any of those though. Strictly yellowfins, blueheads and seagreens for me.
Stephen Beaman
Freshwater Aquarist
South Carolina Aquarium
Charleston, SC

#9 gerald

gerald
  • Global Moderator
  • Wake Forest, North Carolina

Posted 21 May 2015 - 04:56 PM

I've never caught zanema either.   I've seen labrosa a few times in Catawba, Broad & Yadkin tribs in NC.  Always just 1 or 2 at a time, in mixed schools with other shiners.  Nope they sure dont look like "typical" Cyprinella of eastern & mid-west states, but if you've seen some of the TX Cyprinella like proserpina, they look sort of intermediate between a "typical" Cyprinella shiner and those ex-Hybopsis chub-Cyprinellas.

Gerald Pottern
-----------------------
Hangin' on the Neuse
"Taxonomy is the diaper used to organize the mess of evolution into discrete packages" - M.Sandel

#10 Matt DeLaVega

Matt DeLaVega
  • Forum Staff
  • Ohio

Posted 21 May 2015 - 07:50 PM

I suspect in 20 years the Santee chub might enjoy a genus of its own. I am having a hard time with it being a Cyprinella, no matter how much wiser the taxonomists who put it there are than I. Hybopsis seems much more correct. "Chub cyprinella" just seems wrong.

I know there are reasons for this being moved, but visually it just seems so wrong. Can anyone offer up some history, or info on this?

The member formerly known as Skipjack

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users