Photo

Quillback?

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 mattknepley

mattknepley
  • NANFA Member
  • Smack-dab between the Savannah and the Saluda.

Posted 25 May 2015 - 10:40 AM

From the Saluda River, just a little downstream from the Lake Greenwood dam. Newberry County, SC side of the river.

Attached File  DSCN0288.JPG   49.74KB   0 downloads

Was seining up Redfin Pickerel and Redbreast Sunfish chow and found this guy mixed in with the Gambusia when I got home. It's approx. 1/2 inch long. Mouth does not appear to reach the eye to me. The only other fish I can think of in the Santee system drainage with that kind of dorsal fin is the Highfin Carpsucker, Carpiodes velifer, and I don't believe they get above the fall line.

My apologies for a half-crappy picture. I'll be back to my fullbore crappy pics soon. ;)
Matt Knepley
"No thanks, a third of a gopher would merely arouse my appetite..."

#2 Michael Wolfe

Michael Wolfe
  • Board of Directors
  • North Georgia, Oconee River Drainage

Posted 25 May 2015 - 11:26 AM

keep him in a sand bottom tank with nothing that can eat him and grow him up!  He would be an interesting fish to raise up.

Either write something worth reading or do something worth writing. - Benjamin Franklin

#3 Leo1234

Leo1234
  • NANFA Member
  • san clemente, california

Posted 25 May 2015 - 11:58 AM

Either species sounds cool to keep. I wish I had access to more of the cool species of suckers. I would love to see more pictures sometime.

#4 Sean Phillips

Sean Phillips
  • NANFA Member
  • Allegheny River Drainage, Southwest PA

Posted 25 May 2015 - 01:25 PM

I agree with Michael, start him out in a 10g or so with an aged sand substrate and grow it to adulthood! Maybe feed it mosquito larvae when it gets big enough.
Sean Phillips - Pine Creek Watershed - Allegheny River Drainage

#5 Michael Wolfe

Michael Wolfe
  • Board of Directors

Posted 25 May 2015 - 01:42 PM

keep him in a sand bottom tank with nothing that can eat him and grow him up!  He would be an interesting fish to raise up.

Alternatively, bring him to me and he can live in the 55 gallon shiner tank!

Either write something worth reading or do something worth writing. - Benjamin Franklin

#6 mattknepley

mattknepley
  • NANFA Member

Posted 25 May 2015 - 05:01 PM

Alternatively, bring him to me and he can live in the 55 gallon shiner tank!

I held him out so he didn't join the pickerel chow crowd. Lucky for him too, cuz that pickerel was crashing them less than two minutes after putting them in. Closer inspection revealed he had a couple brothers, so I held them out, too.

I don't have the resources for this guy now. I'll be happy to give them to you if you're serious, Michael. PM me or email me and we'll rendevous.
Matt Knepley

#7 Michael Wolfe

Michael Wolfe
  • Board of Directors

Posted 25 May 2015 - 05:44 PM

I am serious... sending PM soon

#8 Leo1234

Leo1234
  • NANFA Member

Posted 25 May 2015 - 06:12 PM

Could I have some? I would love to try keeping one.

#9 mattknepley

mattknepley
  • NANFA Member

Posted 25 May 2015 - 08:38 PM

It's neat the interest these guys have garnered.

Since some folks are interested, and I would be if I had more space, what would make these guys the happiest and healthiest?
Matt Knepley

#10 Michael Wolfe

Michael Wolfe
  • Board of Directors

Posted 25 May 2015 - 08:57 PM

Fritz's book says, "...they spawn over a sand bottom in calm water." and then later, "The quillback is a food generalist, "grazing" on the bottom, where it feeds on large amounts of ooze, algae, and a few insects."

Quillback are definitely found in the Saluda (Fritz actually has a location that appears to be in the lake).  But it could also be a Highfin Carpsucker which is similar and also in the same drainage.

#11 Leo1234

Leo1234
  • NANFA Member

Posted 15 September 2015 - 04:07 PM

How are the quillback doing?

#12 Michael Wolfe

Michael Wolfe
  • Board of Directors

Posted 15 September 2015 - 07:29 PM

unfortunately they just sort of disappeared.  I haven't seen one in the last several weeks. I put them in a well planted 30 gallon breeder tub... saw one repeatedly for the first several weeks... maybe even a month.  Sorry.

#13 Leo1234

Leo1234
  • NANFA Member

Posted 16 September 2015 - 02:37 PM

I hope you find them or at least get the chance to keep them again. Did you ever get them to eat? If so, what did you feed them?

#14 Michael Wolfe

Michael Wolfe
  • Board of Directors

Posted 16 September 2015 - 03:42 PM

They were so small I was never sure if they were eating the earthworm flakes I put in their tank. But they definitely got excited and began to more actively move about and sample the substrate and maybe the flakes?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users