Photo

75G Native Planted Riffle Build (Central North Carolina)

• Please log in to reply
16 replies to this topic

#1 Itsnotme1988

Itsnotme1988
  • NANFA Member
  • Selma, NC

Posted 26 May 2015 - 10:33 PM

Figured as my build is going incredibly slowly I may as well start a pictoral journal!  This is a 75 I picked up off of craigslist with the stand, T5 NO dual lamp, and Aqueon 75 HOB filter along with various supplies for $150.  The plan as this point is to collect the majority of my decorations, flora and fauna around NC once it's up and running.  I want to build a planted riffle tank (Vallisneria sp, etc) with a mix of darters, shiners and chubs with some crawfish or some arthropod that could survive with but not eat the fishes and plants.

20150427_083507_zpsqi4bxngh.jpg

Built sliding glass canopies

20150508_224709_zpsifxu5wbg.jpg

20150508_224718_zpsyijcpoz0.jpg

The river manifold is 3/4in PVC with two 1" inlets and two 3/4" inlets.  The hob is attached the inlet and the caps are only temporary until I order my JBJ SP2500 powerheads (530gph) and filter pads from Swiss Tropicals.

First test fit and fill with driftwood that had been soaking for several weeks...

20150508_230712_zps7ym0n8rj.jpg

20150508_235722_zpsrb1tlayh.jpg

I do still need to build a canopy to properly mount the light and need to order proper bulbs.

For gravel I used Quickrete Pea Gravel as a cap over a mixture of Scotts Topsoil and Special Kitty cat litter.

20150526_160312_zpstrflzgtv.jpg

20150526_165023_zpsexehgsoc.jpg

The soil is only across the back half of the tank.

20150526_165032_zpsg4xcrucu.jpg

The Hygrophilla difformis is planted in what I'm hoping will be a good current break. (sort of native, introduced species in Florida according to USDA) It was grown emmersed so I'm waiting for the leaves to shed.

20150526_171128_zpslqcgtagp.jpg

20150526_175707_zpsgcmhboob.jpg

Looking for comments, ideas, constructive criticism

#2 Evan P

Evan P
  • NANFA Guest
  • Knoxville, TN

Posted 27 May 2015 - 01:21 AM

Maybe try adding some sand. Not only will it fill the gaps where food and sediment will sink into the gravel, but it will also look more natural. Maybe you should try out some different arrangements with your wood as well.

3,000-4,000 Gallon Pond Full of all sorts of spawning fishes! http://forum.nanfa.org/index.php/topic/13811-3560-gallon-native-fish-pond/page-3 

#3 Itsnotme1988

Itsnotme1988
  • NANFA Member
  • Selma, NC

Posted 27 May 2015 - 05:55 AM

Thought about adding in some sand as it was filling but concerned it would just settle out and sink to the bottom of the gravel.  Was trying for the rocky creek bed look but didn't realize quite how light this substrate was...

#4 Chasmodes

Chasmodes
  • NANFA Member
  • Central Maryland

Posted 27 May 2015 - 07:56 AM

Good luck and enjoy it...I will be following your adventure as I'm working on one too.  I like the concept...you'll get it right after a while.  There are some great pioneers of doing this on here that have some great tanks as examples, and I'd bet they'd be more than willing to help you out with suggestions.

Figured as my build is going incredibly slowly 

I know the feeling.

Hey, so far so good!  As far as sand or gravel goes, can you get some from your collecting spots?

Kevin Wilson

#5 Aquastudent

Aquastudent
  • NANFA Guest
  • Albany, NY

Posted 27 May 2015 - 10:01 AM

Seems like you're off to a good start.

It's a bit late now  but I've heard of people using Krylon Fusion spray paint to paint PVC for use inside the aquarium. On a sump build I have in the works I'm going to be painting the PVC.

I also agree with Yeahson. Try some different orientations and locations for the driftwood. Right now it's centrally located. The typical aquascape style says to work in thirds. Also, look to put in lines of attention. I'm not sure if I can articulate what that means but I can try.

Try and have the hardscape draw your attention to different parts of the tank. As this tank grows the plants inside it will grow. Have the driftwood draw the viewer towards interesting pockets of plants. Use the plants to cover up some of the driftwood. It looks like you have at least two pieces in there too. Why not keep them separate?

This tank has a lot of potential and will look great especially when it's stocked. Should look like a piece cut right from the streambed.

#6 Chasmodes

Chasmodes
  • NANFA Member
  • Central Maryland

Posted 27 May 2015 - 10:17 AM

This tank has a lot of potential and will look great especially when it's stocked. Should look like a piece cut right from the streambed.

This is my biggest problem...being a perfectionist and kind of a picky artistic type (never satisfied with anything that I do).  It is taking me a very long time to accomplish mostly because I want to make my build like Aquastudent mentions above, a cut right from the streambed (in addition, spending to much time working or fishing).  I'm gathering stream rocks now, getting organized to build a background.  But, I'm way overthinking it.  The fish won't care much really.  It's what I want to see though, something really cool where even I might say wow when looking at it.  I have to remember in the long run though, that the fish are really the attraction.

It is fun though, isn't it?  Even the planning and design, where I'm stuck...always on my mind.

Kevin Wilson

#7 Itsnotme1988

Itsnotme1988
  • NANFA Member
  • Selma, NC

Posted 27 May 2015 - 03:49 PM

Going to wait until I get rooted plants settled in a bit before adding the powerheads though. And I've always been a fan of overkill, hence the size! Haha! 

The stump is going to stay in the center (it's tied down) but there is going to be more wood and rocks added as I find interesting pieces. I just haven't had the time to go out and hunt... I do want to get some Manzanita branches to place in the left side though and add some "boulders" to the right.  The current setup is just tentative.

Also the stump does have some holes bored and filled with soil and capped ready for something to be planted in it! Possibly dwarf hairgrass but not entirely sold on that yet...

And yeah I'm loving the thought and designing!  I have really missed keeping aquariums.  When I was in high school I had a side job of delivering, setting up and maintaining various aquariums.  But that was 10 years ago and I have been completely out of the hobby ever since. 

Been having a difficult time as far as collecting b/c I have never been one to just go out and explore. I just always feel lost....haha The way people are around here I'm always uneasy of stumbling on someones property... The wood I got was in a local reservoir but it has very little beach access away from property and I don't own a boat (yet) that I can go out and truly explore the Neuse River. (which I have also been struggling with exploring and finding the time since I typically work evenings/nights 55-70hrs/wk...)

I love the feedback and ideas! Thanks!

As far as bulbs what would be recommended? Right now it has a 3500k utilitech which needs to come out and 10k daylight (both 28w)

For covering the PVC I was thinking about boring out some oak limbs and slipping that over the outlets, and whenever I get around to building the canopy and stand cover (or stand) I will be adding corner trim pieces to kinda cover that anyways.

#8 Kazonak

Kazonak
  • NANFA Guest
  • College: Chattanooga TN | Home: Berrien Springs, MI

Posted 08 June 2015 - 11:58 AM

try avaraety in plant color, it usually make the whole aquarium more interesting and realistic. That is when you get to doing more planting!.

#9 Mrfipp

Mrfipp
  • NANFA Guest
  • Runaway Bay, Texas

Posted 08 June 2015 - 12:38 PM

Ideally for plant growth you want bulbs in the 5500k-7500k range, though 3500 and 10000 will both grow some plants just fine. You can also use high quality LEDs designed for plant growth like Kessil or similar. Typically darker green leafed plants will do ok with lower levels and lower spectrum than lighter green leafed plants do, and vice versa. Smaller diameter leaves or red colored plants usually also require higher amounts of light. There's not really a true "watts per gallon" range because it's dependent on water depth and clarity, but usually anything under 3w per gal is considered a "low light" aquarium and 5w per gallon is considered "high light." Be aware that there is a balance between nutrients, light, and carbon dioxide available to the plants to achieve good plant growth and maintain healthy plants. Lower light plants normally grow slower and require less CO2 and consume less nutrients. Plants also respire and consume oxygen at night and give off CO2 at night and the opposite during the day during photosynthesis. That won't affect you in this tank but if you ever have heavily planted aquariums, it's something to keep in mind as it can cause ph swings and oxygen depletion.

That's a lot more than you really asked for... Sorry, I get a bit chatty about planted aquariums.
There's something fishy about this place...

#10 Chasmodes

Chasmodes
  • NANFA Member
  • Central Maryland

Posted 08 June 2015 - 12:45 PM

Mrfipp, that was a great post.

Kevin Wilson

#11 Itsnotme1988

Itsnotme1988
  • NANFA Member
  • Selma, NC

Posted 12 June 2015 - 12:06 PM

No issues! I've been spending a lot of time reading and researching for plants and lighting etc. Just got in my 6700k and colormax 28w t5s.I want to stay low light and avoid Co2 buthe this tank won'the be heavily planted for a while.

Attached Files

#12 Mrfipp

Mrfipp
  • NANFA Guest
  • Runaway Bay, Texas

Posted 12 June 2015 - 12:10 PM

Sounds like a plan. Sharp looking tank.
There's something fishy about this place...

#13 Aquastudent

Aquastudent
  • NANFA Guest
  • Albany, NY

Posted 27 June 2015 - 03:48 PM

Nice improvement. The amazon sword will enjoy that spectrum of light. My favorite temperatures are the daylight bulbs (6500K-6700K) so you're right on the mark in my mind. Was wondering why you didn't paint the PVC but covering it with the sponge does essentially the same thing. Once you get some algae growing in there that'll really settle in nicely.

If you want to add a little bit of CO2 you could experiment with some DIY set-ups. For a 75G it'd probably be just next to useless but it's a thought. All it takes is a bottle, some tubing, yeast, sugar, and water. You'll probably have just about everything laying around the house (except hopefully the water. Floods aren't good).

Is that a Gourami in the upper left? I didn't see anything about adding fish yet but I may have missed it.

#14 Itsnotme1988

Itsnotme1988
  • NANFA Member
  • Selma, NC

Posted 10 August 2015 - 11:55 AM

Quick video update. I've since built a proper stand, just need to finish it up, added the lights that were on the 29g until I can get a finnex or similar and added a few animals I collected this week. Added a moxostoma cervinium (blacktip jumprock ) 2 percina roanoka (roanoke darter) and 2 pleurocera catenaria dislocata. Tried catching satin fin shiners while I was out but they were too quick for me and wouldn't enter the minnow trap. The bait in the trap was constantly being pushed to the edge and the shiners would school there and eat it....I will edit this post with other pics of what I collected that day later. Also saw a 2ft bowfin in another creek but didn't have my phone handy for a good picture...

In the tank switched out the gravel for collected sand leaving a rocky patch in the back.

Still need lots of fish and plants but I'mhappy with the progress!

https://youtu.be/ThYRRrUxmHA

#15 Chasmodes

Chasmodes
  • NANFA Member
  • Central Maryland

Posted 10 August 2015 - 01:09 PM

Looks great!  Those are some fine looking darters too!

Kevin Wilson

#16 Itsnotme1988

Itsnotme1988
  • NANFA Member
  • Selma, NC

Posted 10 August 2015 - 05:39 PM

Unable to update that previous post...

20150810_182111_zpsroqee3yw.jpg

Gonna start a new thread for the collection

#17 Aquastudent

Aquastudent
  • NANFA Guest
  • Albany, NY

Posted 17 August 2015 - 01:09 PM

Nice looking developments. I like how the water now looks a bit stained! Much more natural

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users